Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Possible Z tube alternative for G drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011 | 08:17 PM
lotteman

Default Possible Z tube alternative for G drivers

I was browsing around autozone and found this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=245770_0_0_

I know its some cheapy autozone brand but what difference would it be? its just a metal tube and it looks VERY similar to the ztube from Z1 motorsports found here

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=3929

The only difference with the spectre tube is that theres a hole for a sensor but you can easily cover that up. The sensor hole might cause some turbulence but at 40$ compared to the 60$~ from Z1 i say its a fair deal.

Would anyone consider this for their car? The only thing about the spectre tube is that its about an inch longer than the z tube which might cause fitment issues if youre using your stock airbox.
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:27 PM
omsin523

Save your self the trouble and get the Z1. /
Old 08-04-2011 | 12:53 AM
lotteman

I really don't see a difference. Why would the cheaper option cause troubles, its just a pipe? its not like its supporting the weight of my car or controlling the timing of my engine. Its just a pipe that channels air to the plenum. I figure, if its smooth inside and doesnt explode or whatever i dont see the harm.
Old 08-04-2011 | 05:19 AM
Rubidium

buy one you KNOW will be compliant, that will save you hassle in the future.
Old 08-04-2011 | 08:02 AM
mgrotel

heat soak
Old 08-04-2011 | 08:17 AM
tcho

^ what he said
Old 08-04-2011 | 08:44 AM
lotteman

Originally Posted by mgrotel
heat soak
But wouldnt that be a problem with ANY metal tube, cheapy autozone brand or not? I get what youre saying though.
Old 08-04-2011 | 08:51 AM
mgrotel

yes it is a problem with any metal tube. metal is bad, there are other tubes that arent metal, and for good reason
Old 08-04-2011 | 12:55 PM
INTIMAZY

Try it. A tube is a tube. With the amount of surface area our plenums have, I doubt this would have any measurable effect on increasing heat.
Old 08-04-2011 | 01:19 PM
sdZ33

Im selling a near new Stillen Z-tube if you are interested... $40 and it yours!
Old 08-04-2011 | 07:13 PM
lotteman

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Try it. A tube is a tube. With the amount of surface area our plenums have, I doubt this would have any measurable effect on increasing heat.
That and most of heatsoak occurs when im sitting in traffic where im probably only making 50hp anyways so what difference would the extra 5hp make anyways? I think ill try some test fitting and if the angles match ill buy it and share my findings.

The autozone tube is about 1" longer but it should be fine since ill have a cone filter at the end of it. might not work with the stock air box, though
Old 08-04-2011 | 09:37 PM
mgrotel

if youre getting rid of the stock airbox for just an open filter, even more hot air, trust me
Old 08-04-2011 | 11:13 PM
lotteman

As ridiculous as it sounds, i honestly dont care too much about the hot air. Im not really out to try and make big horsepower, as long as my car can go round a corner as fast as it possibly can then im all good. #1 reason for me looking at intakes is sound. You probably gain less than 5hp from one anyways so i dont mind. Plus the only time I would need the extra 5hp or whatever is at racing speeds where theres plenty of cool air coming into the engine bay.
Old 08-05-2011 | 06:57 AM
mgrotel

well, there you go, if you just want the sound then go for it. i know its been said before that intake temps are the same as stock once moving, but i have a hard time believing that. the engine bay gets soooo hot, and with just an open filter, i find it very hard to believe that its all cool air going into the intake even at speed. and i remember seeing a stat somewhere, for every 10* warmer air, x amt of hp decreases, i cant remember what the x was tho. but anyway, go ahead and try it, im sure all the people wanting intakes for looks and sound will be happy to have a cheaper alternative
Old 08-05-2011 | 02:36 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by lotteman
As ridiculous as it sounds, i honestly dont care too much about the hot air. Im not really out to try and make big horsepower, as long as my car can go round a corner as fast as it possibly can then im all good. #1 reason for me looking at intakes is sound. You probably gain less than 5hp from one anyways so i dont mind. Plus the only time I would need the extra 5hp or whatever is at racing speeds where theres plenty of cool air coming into the engine bay.
JWT and Popcharger is what you want. First just changing the tube will do nothing for sound or power. Second the JWT increases power on a car in motion, but will lose power running from a dig. The eng bay takes a second or two to clear the air then the temp senser takes a few more to come back down to the proper temp. Last, the heat shield that comes with the popcharger is needed, with it installed you draw slightly warmer air than ambient (actually the same as the last CAI tested) but without the shield you draw roughly 80 degree warmer air, even when the car is moving.
Old 08-05-2011 | 05:26 PM
saywat?

^i never understood how the heat sheild on the jwt does anything to prevent hot air from getting sucked in . it looks pretty uselss since its not even enclosed. jus one side is blocked off while the rest of it is open. its more of a gimmick imo. imo if u truly want constant cooler air cai is the way to go (i said cooler not cold air now) and yes the engine bay gets so freaking how im surprised its able to function lol
Old 08-05-2011 | 06:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
^i never understood how the heat sheild on the jwt does anything to prevent hot air from getting sucked in . it looks pretty uselss since its not even enclosed. jus one side is blocked off while the rest of it is open. its more of a gimmick imo. imo if u truly want constant cooler air cai is the way to go (i said cooler not cold air now) and yes the engine bay gets so freaking how im surprised its able to function lol
It seals againts the bottom of the hood ,then the amluminum part blocks the hot air comming thru the radiator from getting to the filter. When in place the car draws air than comes in from the wheel well in front of the tire. No it is not perfect, but i have data logged the AIT using a Cobb tuner and i draw 8 to 10 degree warmer air, then the indicated ambient listed on my inside display.

Last edited by terrasmak; 08-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2011 | 09:22 PM
INTIMAZY

If truely "cool" air is a priority, install an interfooler

Even my stillen airbox heat soaks. It's not that big of a deal. My car hasn't blown up yet and nobody has laughed at me for heatsoaking at red lights.
Old 08-05-2011 | 09:42 PM
lotteman

Originally Posted by terrasmak
JWT and Popcharger is what you want. First just changing the tube will do nothing for sound or power. Second the JWT increases power on a car in motion, but will lose power running from a dig. The eng bay takes a second or two to clear the air then the temp senser takes a few more to come back down to the proper temp. Last, the heat shield that comes with the popcharger is needed, with it installed you draw slightly warmer air than ambient (actually the same as the last CAI tested) but without the shield you draw roughly 80 degree warmer air, even when the car is moving.
I drive a G35 and our intake tubing isnt the same as your Z's. We have tons of baffles and mufflers on our tube so if I get a new one it will be exactly like how a Z's tube is.

Im also getting a cone filter similar to the JWT which is the Apex'i Power Intake. Imo the apex'i has a better velocity stack design and better filtration element than the JWT filter. I may consider the JWT heat sheild though or i can try and make my own which will be fun

I also don't want a CAI since I do mostly road racing and I value engine response rather than overall power.

Thanks for all the good tips though guys, way better comments than the first few who posted.
Old 08-05-2011 | 10:47 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by lotteman
I drive a G35 and our intake tubing isnt the same as your Z's. We have tons of baffles and mufflers on our tube so if I get a new one it will be exactly like how a Z's tube is.

Im also getting a cone filter similar to the JWT which is the Apex'i Power Intake. Imo the apex'i has a better velocity stack design and better filtration element than the JWT filter. I may consider the JWT heat sheild though or i can try and make my own which will be fun

I also don't want a CAI since I do mostly road racing and I value engine response rather than overall power.

Thanks for all the good tips though guys, way better comments than the first few who posted.
Good choice , brand doesn't matter to me and i really don't know if one is better than the other. Doubt it makes more than a 1/4 HP difference. The main thing will be your heat shield, you need to keep the hot air from the radiator away from the filter. Something that you can actively monitor AIT in your development of the shield is a must. I don't belive JWT will sell you a shield seperatly

Quick Reply: Possible Z tube alternative for G drivers