Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 PM
wyatt51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default art TP and motordyne ypipe to help hissing/rattling

Only time the hiss started was when WOT and decelerating from 2000 - 3000 rpm
I know what rasp is and rasp is a 3inch fart-can on a stock Honda
im not looking to eliminate rasp im looking to eliminate the hiss

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u0kTd5-xRLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BVOCItW96ws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have been searching and reading on this forum and all over the net, the only thing i can find is, its a normal sound when installed test pipes. i dont know if im not looking in the right places to find my answer or what, but this is becoming very aggravating. basically all i want to know is, no matter what exhaust you have, as long as you have TP on the car its going to rattle/hiss?

both these videos was with the ark v2 grip dual with art pipes, well couple weeks later i sold the ark only because the hissing noise was very embarrassing and basically sounded like complete crap.

I now have a single: art pipes, motordyne resonated y pipe and aam single.
it sounds good with no rasp or hissing but its just a little loud for me and i much prefer the dual.

so what all that being said, any one have art pipes, motordyne resonated ypipe with a dual outlet that dont hiss or rattle? or do i have to put my stock cars back on to get no hissing for when i buy a new exhaust?

Last edited by wyatt51; 09-02-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the solution is, take out your test pipes - its a natural byproduct on this engine

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-03-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM
wyatt51

that's what i thought. I hate taking off my test pipes but as of now, ill do anything to eliminate this hiss. I like the extra hp but its either HP or sound at this point and i rather have a good sounding z than it to sound like crap.
plus I just feel so Green with my cats on lol

but... will you get the hiss with HFC?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Itzcashew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should of gotten a MD shockwave.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
Should of gotten a MD shockwave.
Yeah... I'll always agree with this. +1.

Any hissing that you may get from ART Pipes is practically negated by the Shockwave. It definitely doesn't sound like it does with that Ark exhaust; I can totally understand you getting annoyed by that. The big thing to understand is that it all just depends on what combination you're running as an exhaust, because some setups will exacerbate the problem while others will practically eliminate it. That being said, a little bit of a hiss is normal. A little bit.

Last edited by onagao; 09-02-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:21 AM
BlackFaytZ

is there a crack somewhere? To me it sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere...
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 AM
wyatt51

No cracks No leaks.
i been under that car and done soooo many tests to make sure there is no cracks and leaks.
This is coming from the y pipe area. a lot of people have this problem when switched to Test pipes.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it's the exhaust. I've never had that noise and i have non-resonated test pipes with borla true dual.

I think it has to do with the test pipes flowing more exhaust than the muffler can handle.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:49 AM
wyatt51

thats what im trying to figure out. What exhaust systems with test pipes dont have the hiss.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 AM
tylerxfire

was never a fan of those art pipes...i had berk test pipes..motordyne xyz w/ resonator and a nismo cat back..sounded like sex..no hissing or any issues like that..clean sound and quiet kind of when u wanna be and loud when ur on it...
Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 AM
lovemyVQ

I have the hks and berk test pipes with the magnaflow x-pipe welded in. The rasp is completely gone, however, now I also get a slight hiss only when decelerating. I think it's this style of exhaust that's just plain garbage. I'm looking at changing out over the winter this year.

tylerxfire you have any vids from when you had the xyz/nismo setup? I'd love to hear it. Considering something like this or the shockwave/art pipe combo.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
was never a fan of those art pipes...i had berk test pipes..motordyne xyz w/ resonator and a nismo cat back..sounded like sex..no hissing or any issues like that..clean sound and quiet kind of when u wanna be and loud when ur on it...
because you had 2 resonators (midpipe and y pipe)

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-03-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by binder
it's the exhaust. I've never had that noise and i have non-resonated test pipes with borla true dual.

I think it has to do with the test pipes flowing more exhaust than the muffler can handle.
Borla + test pipes do it too, it's especially noticeable with the Borla on the way down the rpm's not holding the rpm or on the way up the tach. The test pipes don't flow more or less air, they can only flow what's coming out of the heads in the first place, and unless the car has major headwork and cams, or running lots of boost, even a stock diameter test pipe is more than large enough.

Keep in mind too that it's very difficult to compare the exhaust sounds on a turbo car vs an NA car. 2 identical systems on an NA vs FI car, will sound differently

Some systems are so loud, that it may mask the hissing as well, something to keep in mind. I was worried about it on my car too for a while, then I just stopped paying attention to it. I'll eventually add a cat into my system at the Y pipe and I'll record it whenever I do. I just dont want the smell associated with test pipes anymore. Any sound change for the better will be a bonus, but its not a motivation for me.

To the OP - I'd be curious what happens if you added a resonator(s) into the mix. IMHO, it's the combination of removing the factory cats and the factory resonated Y pipe that tends to cause the various noises people complain about with aftermarket exhausts

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-03-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Czarrr

I have the HKS exhaust and recently bought Z1 test pipes.
I'm a bit worried about the hissing noise now

As weird as this sounds, I have never heard of or seen any clips with set ups making that 'hissing' noise.
I must have been looking in all the wrong places.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:32 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Its not the ART pipes that caused the hiss. Search ark exhaust with hfc or tps and they make that horrible sound. I say try and find a nismo cat back or of course go for a full motordyne set up
Old 09-04-2011, 01:04 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case this helps, here's the video I made after installing the Motordyne Shockwave TDX to go along w/ my ART Pipes:

(The sound and flyby clips start around 2:00 in. The first half is mainly just the installation.)

Any hiss you hear is just the sound of the intake as I get on the gas - there's none of that nastiness like what you're experiencing with the Ark setup.

Last edited by onagao; 09-04-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Am familiar with the "whistle" but not certain which component is at fault. Good luck with this.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Jenkins651

This is scary bc I have this exact same exhaust and I just bought some test pipes . I have a question about the smell everyone keeps talking about also. What does it smell like and do you smell it in the car with the windows rolled up or just outside the car?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Jairen

I had the hissing sound problem with test pipes also. It only happened on decelleration around 2500-3000 RPM. It became embarrassing and unbearable. That was with my old set-up with Megan resonated test pipes and X02.

I added to Magnaflow resonated x-pipe in place of the X02 resonators and h-pipe on the y-pipe and it solved the problem and reduced drone significantly. No more hissing on deceleration or high pitched "metallic" noises at WOT.