Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen Dual Intake install...another one...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM
350ZToeRing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injen Dual Intake install...another one...

I'm sure this thread has come around before, but since I took a few documenting photos along the install, I thought it might help someone out one day...

Install Time:

Started last Friday at 10:30PM and finished at around 2:30AM. You can get it done faster, but I pre-read all of the instructions. And to be honest, my buddy that was helping me, did nothing but slow me down. His name is Jack Daniels.

Initial Impression:

I pulled everything out of the well packaged box. I must say that the quality of this intake, to me, is superb at first glance - from the solid welds, to the beefed up hose clamps (not cheap-o's).

Here's everything out of the box...

^^^Another thing I was impressed with were the supplied replacement brackets where the extension pipes mount in the front. If you compare how the Injen intakes mount to that of the Stillen CAIs then you will see. The Stillens use a cheap looking strap system (which I have heard from others may or may not vibrate/rattle). NOT to dog Stillen, because I DO like how they use solid aluminum piping all the way through their design. Oh well, pros-and-cons I suppose...

On to the PICS of tear-down and installation....

Strut Bar & Front Bumper OFF

Engine Cover Off

OEM Intakes Off

Horns Un-installed from OEM mount and re-mounted on supplied Injen Mount

Wha??? Is this part of the "Secret Injen Patented Design"?! LOL

New Upper Pipes Installed...

Lower Cold Air Extensions Installed on Drivers Side

***CON**** The Passenger side rubber extension does NOT fit as nicely as I'm sure Injen would claim. It was a PITA to wiggle into position. You have to get it in (pushed in the direction of the engine bay) as far as you can.

It still lays on the Oil Cooler metal line. However, after a couple test drives/testing, I found that the Oil Cooler line does not get NEEEAAAR hot enough to burn the rubber. No worries...see following pics for what I am talking about --->

Bumper Brackets Installed - VERY Impressed with the Design & Fit

Following Morning: FINALLY DONE! Test crank, and slow test drive thru my neighborhood

Two More For Fun...

As far as results:

I have noticed the car improve over the course of 2 days of driving it. Perhaps this is the learning curve for the ECU. Second gear seams to have a little more *UMPH*, and the butt dyno registers a little something as an improvement. But people claiming they were blown away with power after an intake install (with no tune) are crazy.

As for future plans, I would like to add MotorDyne Art Pipes, Stillen headers, and a True-dual exhaust of some sort. Since the GReddy EVO2 is so expensive when you find one, I think I will opt for the Invidia Gemini with Titanium rolled tips. Then, I will follow up with the UpRev Osiris tune and call it a day as far as engine mods are concerned.

Any question, comments (good or bad), or additional picture requests are welcome. Otherwise, thanks for looking!

Happy Modding!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

very nice write up, good quality photos too
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just did the swap too so nice job on the write up

got a roadster in at work with the injens, swapped them out with my stock airbox for free in about 5 hours for both cars with a buddy.

its a pain to install ._.

i didnt remove the horns to install the brackets, nor did I remove the whole front bumper. i just took the top clips off and the screws above the fener liner and let the bumper sag downwards. supplied enough room to work with as i was too lazy to jack my car up. slammed car + front lip = extra extra time
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 PM
R350Zz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 hours holy crap i did it under one and i dident remove the the strutbar i also re routed the power steering cooler lines a bit( not an oil cooler )
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
raf84ny

Good job and a nice write-up! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Nismo1534

Fantastic photos and writeup!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM
350ZToeRing

Originally Posted by Duckeee
i just did the swap too so nice job on the write up

got a roadster in at work with the injens, swapped them out with my stock airbox for free in about 5 hours for both cars with a buddy.

its a pain to install ._.

i didnt remove the horns to install the brackets, nor did I remove the whole front bumper. i just took the top clips off and the screws above the fener liner and let the bumper sag downwards. supplied enough room to work with as i was too lazy to jack my car up. slammed car + front lip = extra extra time
you lazy bum!! j/k I know your car WELL. You need to let me get those Chargespeed sides!

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
4 hours holy crap i did it under one and i dident remove the the strutbar i also re routed the power steering cooler lines a bit( not an oil cooler )
LOL i didn't realize that. I guess if I was trying I could have looked to see where they routed beyond the front bumper! Thanks for the clarification! But yes I did take a long time. Like I said, it can definitely be done faster. But I was having fun taking my time. (although i still don't think I could do it UNDER 1 HOUR)

Last edited by 350ZToeRing; 03-28-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Duckeee

yeah im pretty lazy. you did it the right way. you can have my sides, just give me your car!

sounds tough to do the swap under an hour your first time!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 PM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by 350ZToeRing
you lazy bum!! j/k I know your car WELL. You need to let me get those Chargespeed sides!

LOL i didn't realize that. I guess if I was trying I could have looked to see where they routed beyond the front bumper! Thanks for the clarification! But yes I did take a long time. Like I said, it can definitely be done faster. But I was having fun taking my time. (although i still don't think I could do it UNDER 1 HOUR)
y not it takes 5 minds to remove the front bumper 2 mins to remove the stock intakes ( ive done this a few times due to haveing test pipes then hfc then intakes) then u just pop out a few clips out come the duct things then 2 bolts for horns route the pipes under the bar ( theres plenty of room to slide it under ) i think the hardest part is those silicone 90 degree things a few hose clamps throw the bumper on done it takes longer to change the oil then it does to do this.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 PM
R350Zz33

here it is in black i like the black but the paint gets rubbed off so im gonna get a polished one too
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM
350ZToeRing

^^^Nice Pic R350Zz33! Thanks for sharing! I thought about the black set (especially when I saw it on Brandon's Nismo!!!! SEX!! But I settled on the polished as I hope to do a few other polished mods under the hood. (i.e. Stillen front Core Support brace)

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
y not it takes 5 minds to remove the front bumper 2 mins to remove the stock intakes ( ive done this a few times due to haveing test pipes then hfc then intakes) then u just pop out a few clips out come the duct things then 2 bolts for horns route the pipes under the bar ( theres plenty of room to slide it under ) i think the hardest part is those silicone 90 degree things a few hose clamps throw the bumper on done it takes longer to change the oil then it does to do this.

I'm hoping that is sarcasm

I'm the type to follow the instructions with this sort of thing. For instance, I did the horn relocation, as I thought it HAD to be done in order to fit properly. Apparently, I was wrong

Last edited by 350ZToeRing; 03-29-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 PM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by 350ZToeRing
^^^Nice Pic R350Zz33! Thanks for sharing! I thought about the black set (especially when I saw it on Brandon's Nismo!!!! SEX!! But I settled on the polished as I hope to do a few other polished mods under the hood. (i.e. Stillen front Core Support brace)

I'm hoping that is sarcasm

I'm the type to follow the instructions with this sort of thing. For instance, I did the horn relocation, as I thought it HAD to be done in order to fit properly. Apparently, I was wrong
im serious i still have the stock plastic thing and i have a crappy jack. i can just get the car high enough to slide under makes taking the 6 million ****ing bolts off a pita lol
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Duckeee

I'm sure you need to relocate the horns. what i meant was i didn't remove the horns completely. just unbolted them and relocated.

in the end everyone does it differently so time is irrelevant.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:29 AM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Bump so i can find when i install in a few hours
Old 01-14-2016, 02:52 PM
nizmo_0385

ive installed my intakes but having trouble with horns. They are in the way it seems of me getting the pass side filter on.
If i move them completely its fine. Also the pass side silicone 90 degree elbow seems pinched any tips? Much appreciated
Old 01-15-2017, 01:01 PM
nizmo_0385

bump anyone help? purchasing another set and don't remember how I overcame the horn issue. nor pinched elbow.