Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

ART Test Pipe Buzzing/Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John_B
Check the heatshield on the driver side and make sure there is enough clearance between the ART pipe and HS. Also, did you cut that one bolt out? (driver side area)
My mechanic didn't touch that bolt. Maybe that's why. Cuz I do feel it is coming from the driver side footwell. I'll give that a look this weekend as it only vibrates sometimes.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Ruined Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:

I removed the cat-back exhuast = no more metal buzzing sound. One of the cat back bolt snapped off.

Verdict: Loose screw or the cat-back itself.

The car sounds so freaking mean now. Its going to be like this until I get the Bassani.

Rubicant try removing the exhaust and see if the fixes your problem.
Thanks! I'll have to try this out this weekend.

I'm currently running the Blitz Nur Spec exhaust.

Last edited by Ruined Z; 06-05-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deteria
My mechanic didn't touch that bolt. Maybe that's why. Cuz I do feel it is coming from the driver side footwell. I'll give that a look this weekend as it only vibrates sometimes.
Yes, that stud poking out from the floor board must be trimmed off or it will make all kinds of noise.

Also note, the ART pipes reduce or eliminate rasp greatly compared to regular test pipes but with some exhaust systems there can still be some rasp.

For example, with the stock exhaust, there is rasp. Its much less than regular test pipes but its still there.

And in all cases, the ART pipes are much quieter than regular test pipes.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
John_B

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Yes, that stud poking out from the floor board must be trimmed off or it will make all kinds of noise.

Also note, the ART pipes reduce or eliminate rasp greatly compared to regular test pipes but with some exhaust systems there can still be some rasp.

For example, with the stock exhaust, there is rasp. Its much less than regular test pipes but its still there.

The rasp is actually isn't that bad. It's just the metal buzzing sound I get after installing the pipe and It happend right after i installed the ART pipe. The buzzing sounds is coming starting from the mid-pipe (Or Y?) to the axle back, verified by two of my friends.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
LaoSiFu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the picture of this stud that needs to be trim off? I bought the time and ready to install. Before anything I would like to get this taken care of before hand.

~Robert
Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Deteria

It was in the instructions that came with the ART pipes, but it's just a random stud/bolt sticking out. Shouldn't be hard to miss as it supposedly "touches" the pipes so makes that buzzing/rattle sound so just look for that.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 AM
John_B

Quick OT.

Does anyone know what's the pipe or part called between the "Axle-Back and Y-pipe"?
No one seems to make/sell that individually. (or maybe I haven't found it yet)
And if that is a resonator or an exahust?

I'm debating if I should get an Motordyne XYZ-Pipe-resonated.

ART | XYZ-Resonated | ?Unknown pipe? | axle back.

Last edited by John_B; 06-06-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Ruined Z

I want to say it's a mid pipe.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
John_B

I think you are right. I thought the same last night, but I wasn't sure b/c it's way far in the back to be a mid-pipe.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:04 PM
John_B

More update:

I removed both Heat Shield above the ART pipe, and it took 90% of the metal buzzing sound.

Replacing this with an adhesive heat shield.

----------

Last edited by John_B; 06-12-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM
John_B

EDIT:

The buzzing is still presents after removing heatshields and muffler. The problem itself is the ART Pipe!
I will be selling this as soon as I get the PPE Header. The gain is awesome, but it sounds like crap!
If you are planning on buying a TP, I would just get Berks pipe. No need to spend $500.

Side Note:
RASP is not the problem, but a metal buzzing sound.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Deteria

Trimmed that stub bolt and no more rattles. However, mine still makes a slight rasp sound under acceleration. Though it is not that bad.

I think the TDX2 by itself sounds the cleanest. Adding ART pipes gives it a better growl down low, but when up top, there is more metallic rasp/buzz whatever you want to call it.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
JaE35z

EDIT:

The buzzing is still presents after removing heatshields and muffler. The problem itself is the ART Pipe!
I will be selling this as soon as I get the PPE Header. The gain is awesome, but it sounds like crap!
If you are planning on buying a TP, I would just get Berks pipe. No need to spend $500.

Side Note:
strange....i'm looking to get rid of my hfc's for art pipes
Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
John_B

Originally Posted by Deteria
Trimmed that stub bolt and no more rattles. However, mine still makes a slight rasp sound under acceleration. Though it is not that bad.

I think the TDX2 by itself sounds the cleanest. Adding ART pipes gives it a better growl down low, but when up top, there is more metallic rasp/buzz whatever you want to call it.

I trimmed that stub bolt prior to the install so there is a lot of clearance.
I removed my muffler out and just had a custom Y-pipe with the stock tip for the time being and it sounds like a V8 at low RPM.

At around 2300 - 2600 is where that sound pops up and it goes away or gets drowned by the sound over 2600RPM. I have to assume that the motor gets a lot of load as the car keeps accelerating because I can just feel it vibrate (At 2300-2600). I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Standard test pipes or HFC cats will rasp hard.

If you have a rattle in your ART pipe, it's faulty and probably has a cleaning bead stuck inside it. If your pipes are older versions, this was a known issue, contact Motordyne.

ART pipes are clean sounding and do not rattle when not faulty and when fitted correctly. Their volume is much quieter than normal test pipes and HFC's, not much louder than stock.
On the stock y-back system, there is a little rasp when you accelerate firmly in the mid range. I cured this with the XYZ pipe resonator.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

I trimmed that stub bolt prior to the install so there is a lot of clearance.
I removed my muffler out and just had a custom Y-pipe with the stock tip for the time being and it sounds like a V8 at low RPM.

At around 2300 - 2600 is where that sound pops up and it goes away or gets drowned by the sound over 2600RPM. I have to assume that the motor gets a lot of load as the car keeps accelerating because I can just feel it vibrate (At 2300-2600). I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
We got rid of the bead cleaning process long ago.

What is your complete exhaust setup?
It may very well be that you are experiencing rasp with your particular combination of parts. And rasp has a whole range of different kinds of sounds.

Some exhaust systems are prone to rasp (even with stock cats) and other are highly resistant. The overall interaction of parts is what makes the sound signature.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

EDIT:

Side Note:
Call me to troubleshoot what is happening in detail. Its not supposed to do that. If its caused by the pipe its warrantied. If its something else, troubleshooting can help find what it is.

And yes, RASP can sometimes sound like a metal buzzing sound, but only troubleshooting can reveal what it really is.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
stevehl

^^I installed v2 art pipes, but the support bracket doesnt line up to the new v2 brackets. What can I do?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Its all in how you align and rotate the pipes before torquing them down. The brackets are aligned before tightening the bolts.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 PM
John_B

Call me to troubleshoot what is happening in detail. Its not supposed to do that. If its caused by the pipe its warrantied. If its something else, troubleshooting can help find what it is.

And yes, RASP can sometimes sound like a metal buzzing sound, but only troubleshooting can reveal what it really is.

Thank you! I will call you soon. I will try and get some video first.