Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Test Pipe Smell, Ideas to fix under $200 :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 AM
TunerMax

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This forum used to consist of intellegent people, what happened? Of course i know what test pipes do, wtf.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Itzcashew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TunerMax
This forum used to consist of intellegent people, what happened? Of course i know what test pipes do, wtf.
Ok well then you can answer your own question. Everything going on in this thread suggest you need to sell your tp and buy hfc. While you being a dbag about everyone who is baffled by your approach won't get you many friends.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

magnaflow centerspun metallic (or ceramic) substrates.

cut into your existing TP, and weld into place.

will eliminate all gasoline smell, and will only affect the flow a little.

i did a CFM bench test of 2.25 test pipes vs 2.75 HFCs vs 03 OE cat a while back..

thread: https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...t-results.html

results:
Open (baseline): 318.0 CFM
OEM Cat: 143.2 CFM
Test Pipe (2.25"): 266.3 CFM
TechnoCat (2.75"): 306.8 CFM

the only reason why i went 2.75 was to mate up with my Greddy Evo TT exhaust for my TT kit... i'm sure you if you use a 2.25" TP as the basis of HFC, you'll only get a slight reduction in flow..

good luck. HFC substrates are really the best way to go if you're a DIYer.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
Ok well then you can answer your own question. Everything going on in this thread suggest you need to sell your tp and buy hfc. While you being a dbag about everyone who is baffled by your approach won't get you many friends.
Sure you're right.
Some people don't mind spending a large chunk of money when they don't really have to so they can have 'brand x'. Some do mind spending that money when they can have a better product for about 1/5 of the cost.

Not everyone is in the position that I am, so I understand the different perspectives on this, but I'm simply presenting an option, there's no need to slam down my throat some silly belief that the only viable option here is "buy HFC's", I'm not trying to slam the belief that you shouldn't buy HFC's, am I? I'm presenting an alternative, mainly for those of us who already have TP's and want an affordable resolution to the smell without sacrificing performance much.

There's another side to this concept that is hugely beneficial, HFC's and Pre-cats are infamous for break-down in FI applications. This setup would basically fix that problem for the FI guys who have been forced into Test Pipes because of it.

Please, just Get over the drama.
I'm just waiting on another part to arrive across the border then I'll be going to pick the HFC up, so I'll post back where this ends up!

Last edited by TunerMax; 09-04-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, i read through it, and i understand what you're trying to do.

I would firstly, recommend a catch can, most of the smell on cars these days is actually the PCV system letting oil get through and being mixed in the exhaust gasses.

Secondly, if you hadn't already sorted this out with a part, i actually have a 1000 mile Motordyne HFC module for the MD XYZ for sale. It's 200 cell and i can tell you now that it sorts any smell out.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This platform sucks.

OP, I know what you mean about the "overpriced" **** that we are stuck with.

Welcome to my350z.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
TunerMax

Chebosto: Wicked read, thanks very much dude, nice work! I'm into the Metallic MBS made 200 cell single now, just waiting to go pick it up. Looking very forward to it, I'll be sure to post results of course.

They've been on there a long time, how've they held up?

F2CMaDMaXX: Thanks man, that's actually a great thought that I've never really heard anyone bring up. I do need a catch can just hasn't come around yet. Another crazy priced unit. I have a big centrifugal filter style one somewhere but I think it's just too big in size for this application.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
This platform sucks.

OP, I know what you mean about the "overpriced" **** that we are stuck with.

Welcome to my350z.
This platform sucks because of overpriced stuff?! You need to look at other car worlds then. About the only "cheap" platforms are the civic/integra (even then some stuff gets pricey), LS level (but not the vette, 200+ just for an aluminum catch can on those), and the mustang. Everything else is at the same level or far more than our cars which is amazing since most other performance platforms have so many customers their prices should be lower than ours. We are a tiny speck on the window when you think about the number of big performance 350z market. Evo and supra both have far more cars out there being modified and their performance parts are still more costly than ours which makes no sense.

Originally Posted by TunerMax
They've been on there a long time, how've they held up?
That is the issue with FI. Flow is not the issue with cats if you make them big enough but when you heat them to the 1200-1600* turbo exhaust they break down then fail which closes off the pipe. No matter how much they flow they are not designed to withstand the extreme heat a turbo puts out.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 AM
TunerMax

In my experience, less customers usually equals lower prices, though that seems horribly backwards. If a company is selling parts in high volume regardless of higher than necessary prices, they're not goign to stop, they're going to keep the prices high, it makes no sense to lower them.
Companies selling smaller volume need to get volume of sales up, they do this by lowering prices.

That's my estimation on it anyways, it's what I've observed, could be way off the mark. OT, anyways.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:10 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Catch can from Saikou Michi would be my advice, about $60 and if you ask them for the '350z' setup, it has angled barbs/can size/small bracket to mount on the PS bracket etc.

Look in my thread 'the problem with catch cans' for details of it. It's actually a correctly constructed can as well, on the subject this thread is on, it's a sensible price compared to anything else i've seen.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
This platform sucks because of overpriced stuff?! You need to look at other car worlds then. About the only "cheap" platforms are the civic/integra (even then some stuff gets pricey), LS level (but not the vette, 200+ just for an aluminum catch can on those), and the mustang. Everything else is at the same level or far more than our cars which is amazing since most other performance platforms have so many customers their prices should be lower than ours. We are a tiny speck on the window when you think about the number of big performance 350z market. Evo and supra both have far more cars out there being modified and their performance parts are still more costly than ours which makes no sense.

That is the issue with FI. Flow is not the issue with cats if you make them big enough but when you heat them to the 1200-1600* turbo exhaust they break down then fail which closes off the pipe. No matter how much they flow they are not designed to withstand the extreme heat a turbo puts out.
What I meant is the people in this platform. Also, the shops.

They both suck.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM
TunerMax

That's a touch harsh^^.

There's still some really good guys here from what I see, with any 'upscale' car you will have a lot of deuchbags, that's just part of it.

shyt, you have a lot of deuchbag civic owners (random stereotype, not directed at actual civic owners) for all that's concerned, it comes with any internet forum.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
What I meant is the people in this platform. Also, the shops.

They both suck.
I disagree completely. Our local club here isn't specific to a single type of car. It's just an open club. Based on all the platforms this one isn't even close to having horrible people and shops. Far from it.

Tunermax: The problem with the thinking that the price goes down with smaller market doesn't really work since a small market means less companies producing the product. If a company only has 100 customers they won't be able to justify the cost of designing and manufacturing a product so there might only be a single company to produce something for our cars. Like a catch can. If there are 10,000 people buying catch cans then there might be 10 manufacturers that decide to make that product. Now there is competition with pricing. If there is only 1 source for a catch can then they will charge whatever they want. Honestly, the cost of stainless and polished aluminum catch cans are right inline with the cost of all the good catch cans that my domestic car owning friends have.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 AM
TunerMax

Catch cans are expensive for any platform, agree. As for the specifics behind pricing, who knows for sure, I agree with the logic you're laying out, and in most markets it's true, I've just observed it to be the other way around for a lot of stuff in big markets like the Z, Evo, etc.

Maybe it's because there's that added 'tier' of products that are SUPER ridiculously priced, so even the silly pricing on mid-level products look like a reasonable price. Like anything, it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay, so regardless of the amoutn of competition or product, if someone is willing to pay more, like most Z/G owners are, then the price will reflect that.

If Owners banded together (they wont) and refused to pay that much money (they wont), then and only then would OVERALL prices come down.

It's interesting to theorize about. Look at gas prices, people are willing/need to pay whatever the cost is, so the cost is set unreasonably high. There's a lot of competition in that market but costs remain the same. Same but different concept.

Super-Way O.T. though, LOL. Would make for a good OT discussion if the mods let it pass.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 AM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow a thread about HFC extended to 3 pages already...
here is the thing... First why would anyone think they're smart enough to redo what someone else did in the first place.. end of the story either buy a set of HFC or test pipe and be happy with it... but I would justify this thing for the people that run single turbo kits out there as a temporary solution for emission.. or to legalize a kit that was meant for track use.. simple and easy..
Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 AM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Catch can from Saikou Michi would be my advice, about $60 and if you ask them for the '350z' setup, it has angled barbs/can size/small bracket to mount on the PS bracket etc.
I like! $75 is what's labled on the site plus shipping, but that's reasonable. I think i'm going to try the one I have here, as it is actually the same thing just a touch larger. If it doesn't work out I'll go that route perhaps, either way, thanks Very much for this!

Originally Posted by dj lizard
wow a thread about HFC extended to 3 pages already...
If you adjust your settings like you should it's only 2 pages

Originally Posted by dj lizard
here is the thing... First why would anyone think they're smart enough to redo what someone else did in the first place..
Just read that to yourself a few times. If you can't think of a few million situations where that's been done for damn good reason, then.... well....
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Test pipes with a *proper* tune and correct A/F's won't smell, much if at all. A common issue is either poor tuning, or o2 sensor 'tricks' in attempts to silence CEL's which lead to overly rich conditions.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by djamps
Test pipes with a *proper* tune and correct A/F's won't smell, much if at all. A common issue is either poor tuning, or o2 sensor 'tricks' in attempts to silence CEL's which lead to overly rich conditions.
I can only speak to my personal experience. My AFR's are on point, if they're off at all it's an intermittent .1-.2 AFR difference, certainly not enough to create this smell.
Also, there's a solid question that arrises, what about the guys that run 13:1, 12.5:1, even 11:1 AFR's? The turbo situations make sense, but how do you explain it on Supercharged applications where there's nothing in the exhaust stream? Still running super-rich mixtures 'properly tuned' AFR's.
Cars make the best power around what, 12.8-13.7 AFR, so a 'properly tuned' car is running rich under WOT at it's MBT.

So based on the theory that AFR is the main factor in smell, you'd actually need a car that is 'improperly tuned' in order to acheive no smell. Just a thought.

I've also researched a great deal about the smell and it's origin, which leads to the simple fact that the smell itself is due to the additional NOx in the exhaust that isn't being removed by the Cat.

Granted, if you somehow acheive the all but impossible 'perfect' combustion every power stroke on every single instant, it's possible that you will have no NOx emissions, hence, little smell. Simple fact of ICE engines is that's just not possible.

Again, this is just my personal experience, research, theory. That's it. Not saying you're incorrect, you may well be correct, I wouldn't know. All I know is that there's no viable research or proof I've found that the smell can be eliminated completely with anything other than a cat or a Turbo.

Last edited by TunerMax; 09-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM
TunerMax

Not to call anyone out, but the guys that are saying that the smell isn't there with proper tuning, can you offer up any evidence of that, or maybe personal experience? Would be nice to see some contrary information.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

http://www.saikoumichi.com/micro_oil_catch_can_tank.htm

It's actually the micro tank you want, cheaper too, here's a bad shot of mine fitted, though the barbs are not in the correct final position on this can (i worked with Saikou to make this fit) Just specify the 350 can if you order. If you're using a current can, make sure it's correctly put together inside, i strongly believe it makes a big difference to the way it 'catches' oil vapours.

Oh, and the sight tube *is* available on this can for the 350.

Quick Reply: Test Pipe Smell, Ideas to fix under $200 :)