Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Test Pipe Smell, Ideas to fix under $200 :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
TunerMax

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Test Pipe Smell, Ideas to fix under $200 :)

Since prices for these cars are unjustifiably high, I'm trying to come up with a good resolution for those of us that want power without the smell that comes with test pipes. These ideas are most reasonable for those that already HAVE test pipes. Otherwise you get into cost/benefit debates.

This thread is for brainstorming and product information, please feel free to chime in with either! Or if you know of someone that's done something similar LMK.
Now on to my situation:

----------------

I recently purchased and installed some Fast Intentions Resonated Test pipes. Great reviews, but I foolishly didn't research deep enough, and now I have a car that is faster, sounds wicked, but stinks.

The smell is not bearable to me, I know a lot of guys dismiss it away, that's cool, but I can't take it.
I've thought out a couple ideas to fix this smell with minimal impact to your wallet or performance, let me know your thoughts:

1. Purchase 2 quality 200-300 cell High Flow metallic Cats and custom install them into the front of the test pipes. This is a pretty easy job, measure, cut, weld, hi-temp paint, done. Average decent quality HFC costs maybe $80, we need 2 for this idea = $160 + labour if applicable.The end result is HFC's for the cost of test pipes + $160. And you can get better quality HFC's than what you get in most HFC pipes.

Or in my situation, I'm left with Resonated HFC's for under $380.

2. Purchase 1 Quality HFC/Regular Cat, and custom install it into the Y-Pipe. This is the idea I think I'll do, there's a lot of pros to doing it this way.
-Cheaper (half the cost)
-It's farther back from the Manifold you don't need the Metallic core cat.
-You also don't really need a HFC because you only have ONE cat restricting flow, and it's pretty far away from the Manifold where such restrictions make the most difference.
This means you can use anything from a 300 cell to a 600 cell, bringing cost down and availability up.
-It also seems like less work.

Total cost for this, say $60-100 for the Cat + labour. You can buy a better cat because you only need one.
You also don't need to worry about burning your cat up if you're FI

Let me know your thoughts, I have a spare Y pipe here anyways so I'm going to grab it and see what I can fit in there for a Cat, I'll post later as I progress with getting rid of this aweful smell!!

Last edited by TunerMax; 08-24-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you arent tuned overly rich, it doesnt smell.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 AM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your reasoning is wrong. IMO you'd be better off distributing the flow over two hfcs as opposed to one. The hfc is your bottle neck so wouldn't it be better to distribute the flow over two rather than one?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Ruthless18x

Uh just buy HFC's in the first place or get your A/F corrected.

What are you referring to by "prices for these cars are unjustifiably high"?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
+1. I want to know what you mean by this as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM
JCITY
Banned

From my experience,all test pipes will omit a "smell".
Ironically,I was looking at the Fast Intensions reso TP's.
With the smell problem,moved to HFC's.Some performance lost
but not that you can feel.
All your options are not gonna do away with the smell.
I'd dump those TP's...you may be able to recoup a good part of
your $$ and gets some HFC's.
Also,on your comment,"unjustifiably high",don't know what you mean.
However,with your buying cats for 200-300,you sound like a cheap guy.
Is this a thing with Canadians?Many are how can I say,"value minded".
In the U.S.,at least in the south,we call it cheap a-s.
For the time being,get a nose plug.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Esser

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

They smell good to me.....
Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM
TunerMax

Wow feeling some heat, chill boys.

Originally Posted by pss350z
I think your reasoning is wrong. IMO you'd be better off distributing the flow over two hfcs as opposed to one. The hfc is your bottle neck so wouldn't it be better to distribute the flow over two rather than one?
The Single cat idea would put the cat just before the Mid-Pipe, away from the Engine and NOT in the vital manifold/downpipe area, where tuning is important. Cat's aren't that restrictive when they're downstream, they destroy Velocity when they're close to the engine though, where velocity is highest and most important. I understand your reasoning though, good thinking.

Uh just buy HFC's in the first place or get your A/F corrected.
Uh, taken from the OP:
Originally Posted by TunerMax
These ideas are most reasonable for those that already HAVE test pipes. Otherwise you get into cost/benefit debates.
-----
The last time I explained high prices on here for the 350 & G35 I got a warning from Admin because I was offering solutions to the high prices and Vendors seem to run this site, so I was immediately silenced

That's the reason I'm not going to get into it. If anyone would like to know they can PM me. The response in this thread just solidifies the concept

Originally Posted by JCITY
All your options are not gonna do away with the smell.
Huh? The reason for the smell is a lack of Cats, if I install cat(s) that have a resonable cell count (300+), then the smell will go away. Not sure where you're going with this

However,with your buying cats for 200-300,you sound like a cheap guy.Is this a thing with Canadians?In the U.S.,at least in the south,we call it cheap a-s.
Thanks for that stereotype. You have no idea what you're talking about man, like, at all.

Last edited by TunerMax; 08-24-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:00 PM
TunerMax

Anyways. At the risk of blasphemising again, I'll tell you this much, those HFC's that cost from $300-$500 are made with Cheap Chinese no name cats, chinsy flanges, etc. I can spend less money and have a superior product.

I don't know why so many of you on here thinks that more money = better. It's not about being cheap, it's about wanting the best, and making sure you're getting what you pay for. There is only one HFC out there that would match the quality of what I"m talking about doing, I won't list it because I'll probably catch crap again, but it's not hard to figure out which one I'm talking about.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Ruthless18x

Tomei's, made in Japan, superior.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM
TunerMax

Nah Under $1000 HFC's I'm tombout. Over $1k is just not worth talking about, anyone who buys that has more money than brains.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Ruthless18x

Nah Under $1000 HFC's I'm tombout. Over $1k is just not worth talking about, anyone who buys that has more money than brains.
Or wants the best quality, etc, that you stated above.

Anyone with "brains" would understand the pros and cons of using test pipes, and the pros and cons of using HFC's. The smell can virtually be eliminated with a proper A/F ratio. Rigging some half-*** test pipe / HFC combo is just that.

Motordyne already makes something similar anyway.

So your pointless thread is pointless. Sell your test pipes and buy HFC's, get a tune, or make a knock-off Motordyne combo. Those are really the only options.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM
jarrodh77

[I]Since prices for these cars are unjustifiably high
Please show me another car with around 300hp, under 3300lbs, that can be easily found in good condition for under $12K.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Max, if you put the CAT so far back and incorporate it into a large heat sink like a mid-pipe or Y-pipe will it run hot enough to ever reach a ‘fire-up' condition?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 PM
JCITY
Banned

Cool Z1 motorsports hfc

Anyways. At the risk of blasphemising again, I'll tell you this much, those HFC's that cost from $300-$500 are made with Cheap Chinese no name cats, chinsy flanges, etc. I can spend less money and have a superior product.

I don't know why so many of you on here thinks that more money = better. It's not about being cheap, it's about wanting the best, and making sure you're getting what you pay for. There is only one HFC out there that would match the quality of what I"m talking about doing, I won't list it because I'll probably catch crap again, but it's not hard to figure out which one I'm talking about.
I agree,a lot of cheap Chinese made stuff out there.
I've run several cars with various HFC's.
I recently installed Z1 Motorsports HFC's.
They run $388.The quality is second to none .The fit(if you ever had the "pleasure" of installing cats)is spot on.Plus,a great boost in HP and
linked with my Nismo cat back,sound fantastic.
You are right,in most cases,you pay "for the name".
Dump the test pipes,check these out.

Last edited by JCITY; 08-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM
TunerMax

Rigging some half-*** test pipe / HFC combo is just that.

Motordyne already makes something similar anyway.

So your pointless thread is pointless. Sell your test pipes and buy HFC's, get a tune, or make a knock-off Motordyne combo. Those are really the only options.
Chill out man, don't need to E-thug in this place, seriously. The thread is far from pointless, if you can't find any use for it then unsubscribe and carry on.

I do thank you though, because I actually didn't know about MD's Ypipe, that's reassuring to my idea, given that guy tests the ever living crap out of everything he does on this car. Same setup I'm thinking of, yup, resonated test pipes with a Cat in the Y pipe, perfect.

The fact that you think this is some 'knock-off'/half-a$$' setup only serves to prove you are Archaic, so far from innovative in your thinking that you clearly fall into the category I spoke to earlier, money>brains. Nothing I do to cars is half-a$$. I've spoken to owners of Companies that make these HFC's about this and they think it's a fantastic idea, clearly Rocketscientist (actually) Tony from Motordyne thought similarly. Guarantee that guy didn't buy $1000 test pipes when he started out.

People who actually work on their own cars and come up with their own ideas understand these things. This thread is for them. Please stop whoring it up and hating on me for trying somthing innovative. Imagine what this Forum could be if some people opened their minds to new ideas and processes, instead of just opening their chequebook.

/rant. Back OT, please.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:27 PM
TunerMax

I agree,a lot of cheap Chinese made stuff out there.
I've run several cars with various HFC's.
I recently installed Z1 Motorsports HFC's.
They run $388.The quality is second to none .The fit(if you ever had the "pleasure" of installing cats)is spot on.Plus,a great boost in HP and
linked with my Nismo cat back,sound fantastic.
You are right,in most cases,you pay "for the name".
Dump the test pipes,check these out.
Damn, that's a great price, how long have you had them on Jcity? And are you boosted?
My main concern about lower quality HFC's located that close to the Manifold is breakdown, expecially with boost (which is on the way for this car).

I'm going to look into that a bit deeper though, thanks dude.

FYI, this is one of hte Cat's I'm looking at putting in the Y pipe, I'm wondering if it's just a pinch too small though, and I'm still digging for a definite cell count. Might have to call them.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...niversal=59956

Originally Posted by jarrodh77
Please show me another car with around 300hp, under 3300lbs, that can be easily found in good condition for under $12K.
LOL, SMH dude. notwithstanding the obvious fact that wasn't at all what I was talking about, I'm compelled to ask:
Do you really think your car weighs 3300 lbs or less?

Last edited by TunerMax; 08-24-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:49 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Max, if you put the CAT so far back and incorporate it into a large heat sink like a mid-pipe or Y-pipe will it run hot enough to ever reach a ‘fire-up' condition?
Hey missed this, sorry. Good thinking.
Cat's though on most cars are actually placed in this location, some just a shade ahead. The Catalyst's reaction is caused by the exhaust mixture elements coming into contact with the Catalyst, hence the name.
It's That reaction which creates the heat. It's not just the heat from the engine that causes this reaction, and as such it should be just fine, yup
Old 08-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Ruthless18x

Chill out man, don't need to E-thug in this place, seriously. The thread is far from pointless, if you can't find any use for it then unsubscribe and carry on.

I do thank you though, because I actually didn't know about MD's Ypipe, that's reassuring to my idea, given that guy tests the ever living crap out of everything he does on this car. Same setup I'm thinking of, yup, resonated test pipes with a Cat in the Y pipe, perfect.

The fact that you think this is some 'knock-off'/half-a$$' setup only serves to prove you are Archaic, so far from innovative in your thinking that you clearly fall into the category I spoke to earlier, money>brains. Nothing I do to cars is half-a$$. I've spoken to owners of Companies that make these HFC's about this and they think it's a fantastic idea, clearly Rocketscientist (actually) Tony from Motordyne thought similarly. Guarantee that guy didn't buy $1000 test pipes when he started out.

People who actually work on their own cars and come up with their own ideas understand these things. This thread is for them. Please stop whoring it up and hating on me for trying somthing innovative. Imagine what this Forum could be if some people opened their minds to new ideas and processes, instead of just opening their chequebook.

/rant. Back OT, please.
Not "hating" or being a "e-thug" just pointing out the facts. The smell is more from running rich than it is from being cat-less.

If you're some awesome welder with access to quality materials then more power to you, again just stating there are designed products already out there.

Believe it or not I've actually done all the work on my Z. Just because I didn't fabricate my exhaust or sc piping doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't see how spending money on high end parts is a knock against me either?

Your topic was to fix the smell under $200. The cheapest way would be to sell your test pipes and get a set of used HFC's if you can't afford or want to get the tuning to correct the A/F. Test pipes are pretty much useless without a tune anyway.

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 08-24-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 PM
pss350z

Not "hating" or being a "e-thug" just pointing out the facts. The smell is more from running rich than it is from being cat-less.

If you're some awesome welder with access to quality materials then more power to you, again just stating there are designed products already out there.

Believe it or not I've actually done all the work on my Z. Just because I didn't fabricate my exhaust or sc piping doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't see how spending money on high end parts is a knock against me either?

Your topic was to fix the smell under $200. The cheapest way would be to sell your test pipes and get a set of used HFC's if you can't afford or want to get the tuning to correct the A/F. Test pipes are pretty much useless without a tune anyway.
If you were running rich wouldn't you be smelling unburned fuel Kinda different wouldn't you say?

Also, after adding TPs if anything you lean things out as you get more flow, so you tune to add more fuel. Hmmmmmmmm

Last edited by pss350z; 08-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Test Pipe Smell, Ideas to fix under $200 :)