Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Jwt dual pop charger!! :D

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Lonestarr350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jwt dual pop charger!! :D

I've done my research for these jwt dual pop chargers .. Doesn't seem like a bad investment .. Doesn't seem like there is power Loss .. TINY gains apprently.

I do have 3 questions and I couldn't find an answer to them around the forum.

1. I live in oregon .. Rains about 8 months outta the year. I've read I wouldn't have any problem with gettin water in my engine unless i "submerged" the pop chargers under water. Question is .. Since this mod has come out .. Is there any type of "precaution" piece to just make sure I don't get water in it?

2. If any of you have the dual pop charger .. Have you had any problem with them since you've had them? I guess just in general?

And finally

3. I'm also thinking if gettin Cobb tubes as well .. Are they worth it? Would it make any diff with pop chargers ?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez!Popcharger dilemma...
Those units sit up high.Have heat shield under and on the side towards the right.
Unless you plop your Z in a creek,you'll be OK.
As has been thrashed over many times,the gains you get on CAI's are minimal.
The addition of a Z tube will not do much accept look sexy.
This is a pretty economical mod.However,K&N's in the stock air box will do as good.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 AM
RedUzziJDM

I have K&N's in my stock air box and also dual K&N typhoon's unopened just laying about. I'm probably just going to resell it. Nissan did a really good job in designing the intake boxes. There's no need to modify.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 AM
JDM_35OZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to worry about water getting in, they sit way too high up to even get wet!
Driven mine in the rain with a missing fender liner and I've had no problems.
Oh, I also have an air duct on my bumper and it still keeps dry!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Lonestarr350

Thanks guys! All of you were helpful !!! I appriciate it !!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Nismo CAI that came with my car. The theory that some people suggest that if you have the intake running down low in the bumper right behind the yellow side marker (which you would want to take out and replace it with some type of mesh) will be more beneficial than a pop charger that sits high up in the engine. I mean come on, i'm surprised you get any gains at all with it so high and that heat shield probably doesn't do anything. It's like when you put those foil sun screens in the car in the summer that deflects the sun's rays. Yes it will be cooler in the car because it's deflecting the sunlight that causes the temperature to be high but it doesn't reflect the heat itself just the sun's rays that get in and produce the heat. There is no small sun shining rays at the intake in your engine bay so a heat shield is useless unless you like how it looks. It's still grabbing surrounding hot air in the engine bay so I fail to see how a heat shield would help when the whole bay is always warm when you start the car. If you have it in the bumper you don't have to worry about water like everyone else said unless your car is submerged in water or you wash your engine while the intake is sucking all the water up and with it away from the engine you see slightly higher gains because it will be grabbing cooler air. But intakes don't really do much in general with any car for that matter.

Last edited by Jah70; 02-11-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should just go with the Cobb tubes and be done. They really help the air flow a lot smoother and it'll slightly change your exhaust note.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Fun40zx

If you want real gains get the injen longtube. I got real results on multiple races at the track so I know it's working . Just don't expect the gains until like 6k rpm
Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Lonestarr350

Originally Posted by Jah70
I have a Nismo CAI that came with my car. The theory that some people suggest that if you have the intake running down low in the bumper right behind the yellow side marker (which you would want to take out and replace it with some type of mesh) will be more beneficial than a pop charger that sits high up in the engine. I mean come on, i'm surprised you get any gains at all with it so high and that heat shield probably doesn't do anything. It's like when you put those foil sun screens in the car in the summer that deflects the sun's rays. Yes it will be cooler in the car because it's deflecting the sunlight that causes the temperature to be high but it doesn't reflect the heat itself just the sun's rays that get in and produce the heat. There is no small sun shining rays at the intake in your engine bay so a heat shield is useless unless you like how it looks. It's still grabbing surrounding hot air in the engine bay so I fail to see how a heat shield would help when the whole bay is always warm when you start the car. If you have it in the bumper you don't have to worry about water like everyone else said unless your car is submerged in water or you wash your engine while the intake is sucking all the water up and with it away from the engine you see slightly higher gains because it will be grabbing cooler air. But intakes don't really do much in general with any car for that matter.

😳 very detailed response ! You have a point with the heat shields .. I didn't even think about that. Okay okay I'm going back to the drawing board with this mod.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Lonestarr350

Originally Posted by waldo36
I think you should just go with the Cobb tubes and be done. They really help the air flow a lot smoother and it'll slightly change your exhaust note.
Didn't know it changed the note of the exhaust.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,055 Likes on 6,520 Posts

Originally Posted by waldo36
all they really do is clean up the look

Originally Posted by Fun40zx
If you want real gains get the injen longtube. I got real results on multiple races at the track so I know it's working . Just don't expect the gains until like 6k rpm
when you say long tube, are you implying the ones that go behind the bumper? stillen almost makes ones and those are the only after market that truly make any difference
Old 02-12-2014, 04:07 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonestarr350

?de33 very detailed response ! You have a point with the heat shields .. I didn't even think about that. Okay okay I'm going back to the drawing board with this mod.
I just want you to squeeze every last bit of potential out your car. These cars aren't well known to have massive increases in power when staying NA. I think the biggest increase you might see come from ART pipes or racing test pipes when you look at the price to dollar ratio. The racing test pipes I've seen have increases in the ballpark of 20 lb. ft. of torque and some like the Z1 test pipes cost as much as their plenum spacer (under $200). After a tune of course.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Lonestarr350

Originally Posted by Jah70
I just want you to squeeze every last bit of potential out your car. These cars aren't well known to have massive increases in power when staying NA. I think the biggest increase you might see come from ART pipes or racing test pipes when you look at the price to dollar ratio. The racing test pipes I've seen have increases in the ballpark of 20 lb. ft. of torque and some like the Z1 test pipes cost as much as their plenum spacer (under $200). After a tune of course.
Yeah I have ART pipes on my Z .. Deff made a diff .. Even without a tune yet lol