Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 06:45 PM
DBTre50z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motordyne Exhaust Review

Hi all. Two weeks ago I decided to order the Motordyne TDX exhaust from JM AutoSport. I think by this point its well known that Motordyne has a reputation for a solid product. I figured I'd share my experience from purchase to install.

I decided to go with JM Autosport because they are located about 15 minutes from where I work and why not support someone local? Theyre a sponsor on the forum plus on their website they offer discounts on many products they sell. Done deal.

Upon placing my order i read that the exhaust comes standard with the rolled Ti tips. Before confirming my purchase, in the comments section I wanted to know if it was possible to swap out the tips with the SS straight cut ones. I placed the order assuming a rep would email or call me regarding it.

It took one business day to process my order and the next day my order was shipped, which was nice.

About a week later my exhaust arrives. I got to say, Motordyne knows something about good packaging Everything was sealed up nicely and well protected.

A day before install I soaked all the nuts with liquid wrench and im a firm believer it helped make the job that much easier (75K on the odometer and just a little rust on the factory exhaust ) Glad i had access to air tools which made life a helluva lot easier.

Its nice that Motordyne includes the gaskets for the cat to XYZ pipe and new hardware aswell, though i just hit the studs on the cats with some fine sandpaper and used the new 15 mm nuts. Didn't feel like knocking out those studs to replace with the bolts. Every nut came off easily with the exception for one on the mid pipe, which stripped so fast you'd think I was throwing singles at it. Time to bust out the hacksaw

The TDX bolted up within 45 mins and was clean cut install. They include instructions but its pretty self explanatory. After starting the car and taking it out, I noticed a rattling noise at low rpm. My guess is that the mid pipe is just touching the metal mid brace causing it to vibrate. Tomorrow morning Im going to readjust and hope to resolve that issue.

If I had to rate this exhaust, fit/finish, sound and price, Id say fit/finish is perfect. Tomorrow while im adjusting the exhaust im also going to do the bumper tuck to show off those shiny new canisters I love the V-clamps and every other exhaust company needs to start taking notes. Sound is right f'n on. No drone cruising in 6th, but drop a gear on the on-ramp and remember why you bought this exhaust. You get what you pay for holds true with this system. Glad i didn't skimp on a lesser quality product.

At the end of the day, Motordyne developed a fantastic product and if those LTH ever come to fruition, ill be a guarenteed buyer. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 08-06-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:24 AM
DBTre50z

Bumper tuck. Working on that rattling noise now

Old 07-18-2015, 11:43 AM
DBTre50z

Rattling noise appears to be fixed. Loosened the nuts to the cats and shifted the exhaust up a drop. Also rotated the mid pipe the opposite way to give a little more clearance between that metal plate and the pipes. I'm content at the moment.

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 08-06-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:14 PM
DBTre50z

As for the exhaust fitment, I'm still getting a vibrating noise (especially noticeable on deceleration). I read that the G community experiences similar issues. Anyone have any pointers how to sit it right or just keep adjusting it? I thought about that GT Spec mid brace might give a little more room?
Please chime in. Thanks

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 08-06-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:37 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,106 Likes on 6,561 Posts

Originally Posted by DBTre50z
As for the exhaust fitment, I'm still getting a vibrating noise (especially noticeable on deceleration). I read that the G community experiences similar issues. Anyone have any pointers how to sit it right or just keep adjusting it? I thought about that GT Spec mid brace might give a little more room?
Please chime in. Thanks
keep adjusting.. and it is a pain. what i did is get a jack on the muffler, raise it up some and then tighten things down. another time after adjusting, that didnt work so i bought some rubber exhaust hanger strap and wedge it between the exhaust and brace

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 08-06-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
keep adjusting.. and it is a pain. what i did is get a jack on the muffler, raise it up some and then tighten things down. another time after adjusting, that didnt work so i bought some rubber exhaust hanger strap and wedge it between the exhaust and brace
+1 and (carefully) adjust after the exhaust has warmed up. The first couple of heat cycles can cause some expansion with enough gap to cause some rattles or leaks.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:33 PM
DBTre50z

Any issue or concern with it melting?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:15 PM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by DBTre50z
Any issue or concern with it melting?
nope, it is made for high temps.. to make sure i took my heat gun to it, less than an inch off it for 5 min... smoked some, but didn't melt or warp
Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

It is probably hitting the rear sway bar on the passenger side. You can try loosening it up and use a jack (with some cloth over top to prevent marring the finish) to prop up the exhaust until it is wedged up as high as possible. Then tighten up all the clamps. That might make you rattle free.

Alternative is the MD rear sway bar which will give you an extra 1/4 inch.

NOTE: Within 30 days almost all CC companies will reverse the charge without issue. You are all set.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM
travlee
Master

that too... mine was hitting both places
Old 07-28-2015, 04:30 PM
DBTre50z

Originally Posted by rcdash
It is probably hitting the rear sway bar on the passenger side. You can try loosening it up and use a jack (with some cloth over top to prevent marring the finish) to prop up the exhaust until it is wedged up as high as possible. Then tighten up all the clamps. That might make you rattle free.

Alternative is the MD rear sway bar which will give you an extra 1/4 inch.

NOTE: Within 30 days almost all CC companies will reverse the charge without issue. You are all set.
Awesome man good to know Car will be on the jack stands Saturday morning for some adjustments. Will update then
Old 07-31-2015, 05:57 PM
DBTre50z

What is motordynes direct website? I've seen 2 different sites and don't know which one is the official one.

On a side note, does anyone know the filter size on the Injen long tube intakes? I have the red filters that need to be oiled and want to replace them with the dry filters. Less of a hassle.

Thanks!

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 08-06-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:00 PM
travlee
Master

i ordered mine from b2autodesigns.com free shipping, they even shipped my tdx2 for free.

ordered shocks, springs, sways, art, tdx2 from them, quick shipping and it usually is drop shipped from the manufacturer

Last edited by travlee; 07-31-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:19 AM
DBTre50z

i ordered mine from b2autodesigns.com free shipping, they even shipped my tdx2 for free.

ordered shocks, springs, sways, art, tdx2 from them, quick shipping and it usually is drop shipped from the manufacturer
I'll check them out

Anyhow time for the fun stuff. Looks like this is the problem. Pipe going over rear sway bar as suggested
Old 08-01-2015, 04:23 AM
travlee
Master

passenger side isn't it.... mine was close with hotchkis sways, looks like you are still stock. i heard that the MD sways give you some extra room.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:26 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

the sway does give it more room.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:05 AM
DBTre50z

Loosened up all the clamps and used the floor jack to bump the exhaust up about 1/2 inch. Went for a test drive and everything seemed nice and solid. Also got rid of an exhaust leak I was getting coming from the Y to the muffler.

Any updates on those long tube headers from MD?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I love this exhaust. It's just too good lol. Also +1 on b2autodesigns I have ordered multiple times from them and always been hassle free. Plus it's easy to get quotes from him on Facebook or Private Messaging on here.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:52 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Happy endings! Congrats on your exhaust!

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 08-06-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 AM
DBTre50z

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
Happy endings! Congrats on your exhaust!
Thank you sir

Quick Reply: Motordyne Exhaust Review