Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Plenum Install Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:07 PM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Kinetix Plenum Install Instructions

I got my Kinetix plenum yestarday, but there was no instructions. I installed it earlier today and decieded to document the install process. There were a couple things that needed to be modified/fixed, but overall it went smoothly.

Here's the site I made with step-by-step instructions with pictures of almost every step.

Kinetix Plenum Installation Instructions

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-28-2004, 05:03 PM
lsdunique

Very thorough installation instructions, glad everything worked out for you.

Sorry about the coolant block, we have just made new revisions this weekend which will eliminate any type of problem like that, they will also look a little more refined.

Also take not people that the brass inserts that he tapped into the front 2 holes, will already be installed when shipped.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:16 PM
wren57
Banned

Awesome instructions, thanks. I'll be sure to use them when I get mine on the 4th.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:20 PM
SungNamZ

Default Re: Kinetix Plenum Install Instructions

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
I got my Kinetix plenum yestarday, but there was no instructions. I installed it earlier today and decieded to document the install process. There were a couple things that needed to be modified/fixed, but overall it went smoothly.

Here's the site I made with step-by-step instructions with pictures of almost every step.

Kinetix Plenum Installation Instructions

-Chrismcagle
My Plenum should be arriving Monday or Tuesday. Your instructions are VERY thorough! For us who have ordered and are awaiting arrival, we ALL owe you. For those who haven't ordered and will, the pictures and instructions should prove very informative. Thanks again!

Ronald K.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 02-28-2004, 05:34 PM
all_bark

WOW!!!!!

Chris, nice job on the photos. I like how about the arrows and circles just make it all so easy! And the rubber grommet shot will save COUNTLESS of people. I made that mistake 3 or 4 times....

ENJOY
Old 02-28-2004, 05:35 PM
ChrisMCagle

Smile Thanks

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like the instructions. I just realized though that I didn't include a "final" shot of the completed install. I'll get that picture on the site ASAP.

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Redfoot

Great job. Thanks for the post. & thanks for trouble shooting some early production problems.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:46 PM
ChrisMCagle

Post Site Updated

Ok, I just updated the site to include the "final" install pictures as well as a helpful note on installing the engine cover.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:37 PM
cinergi1

If you do not have a vacuum leak then your rough idling is probably due to the ecu reset you performed. It can take a little while for the ecu to relearn the proper idle.

I did some testing on my plenum today with a torque wrench so that everyone will know how much to tighten the bolts. I tried 5 ft/lbs. and it caused the washer to compress against the plastic and the plastic started to crack. Therefore, I recommend no more than 3 ft/lbs. That does not sound like much but the loctite will hold the bolts in place.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Wedge

Very nice job on the installation instructions Chris..........Both the pics and the wording were clear, concise and very understandable. Thanks a lot!

Hope your idle smoothes out. Maybe some of the other Kinetix plenum owners can let you know if they are having any issues with the idle.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:59 PM
scubasteve

I ordered my plenum a couple of days ago.......will definately use your "how to" instructions. I have been doing that with all of my mods. I just take my laptop in the garage and use the wireless connection. Just wanted to say thanks for the great tutorial.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:00 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Great instructions, hope to be using them this coming week, got shipper but it takes too long to get to this coast
Old 02-28-2004, 07:42 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Ground to Throttle Body

Chris did you run a Ground wire to the throttle body?

Cheers Amy -
Old 02-28-2004, 08:08 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Ground to Throttle Body

Originally posted by AmyCroft
Chris did you run a Ground wire to the throttle body?

Cheers Amy -
No, I moved the ground wires from their original position on the right side to the mounting point for the stock intake pipe. There weren't any ground wires attached to the trottle body before?

Oh and I tried to reset my ECU, but I don't know if it worked or not. The CEL eas not on and when I performed the reset steps, the light never indicated it was doing anything by flashing so I'm not really sure if the ECU was reset or not. I did have the negative terminal wire disconnected for the duration of the install which was about 3+ hours so I'm not sure if that would reset the ECU or not?

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-28-2004, 08:20 PM
scubasteve

I don't know about mounting to the throttle body?????? A lot goes on there and I would rather just attach to a big piece of metal attached to the car.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:24 PM
AmyCroft

Default Er let's try Again

Chris replied:

No, I moved the ground wires from their original position on the right side to the mounting point for the stock intake pipe. There weren't any ground wires attached to the trottle body before?

Amy suggests, you had a stock throttle body boloted down to a large aluminum plenum (engine ground). You now have Body mounted to a large piece of electrically insulating plastic.

Cheers Amy -
Old 02-28-2004, 09:17 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Er let's try Again

Originally posted by AmyCroft
Amy suggests, you had a stock throttle body boloted down to a large aluminum plenum (engine ground). You now have Body mounted to a large piece of electrically insulating plastic.

Cheers Amy -
Hmmmm... that makes a lot of sense. I'll hook up one of the grounding kit wires to the throttle body tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks!

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-28-2004, 10:06 PM
lsdunique

That would be interesting and I would love to know if you can tell a difference.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by cinergi1
If you do not have a vacuum leak then your rough idling is probably due to the ecu reset you performed. It can take a little while for the ecu to relearn the proper idle.

I did some testing on my plenum today with a torque wrench so that everyone will know how much to tighten the bolts. I tried 5 ft/lbs. and it caused the washer to compress against the plastic and the plastic started to crack. Therefore, I recommend no more than 3 ft/lbs. That does not sound like much but the loctite will hold the bolts in place.
cinergi1, are you having any problem with idle?
Old 02-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Ultimateone

Great instructions, man I wish I had more cash right now

Quick Reply: Kinetix Plenum Install Instructions