Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

CUSTOM INTAKE DONE AWESOME RESULTS W/ BLITZ HKS APEXi TRUST READ NOW WHY ITS BETTER!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 07:39 PM
G352NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by alininger2001
JWT will sell you a heat shield for $25. I hear its a pretty good one, fits perfectly with the hood.
Do you have a link? where can I order it?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:38 AM
MrGoingdown305

Drop them an email http://jimwolftechnology.com/contact.asp I emailed a while back about a mounting bracket and they offered to sell me one seperately. (I changed my mind)

I called Stillen about a week ago to see if they would sell me one of their heatshields. Their answer...let me give u a hint...starts with N, ends with O.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Zexy

"CHINA" filter. lol
Old 11-18-2004, 08:30 PM
ReavTek

Sounds very interesting but I CANT SEE ANY OF YOUR PICTURES! Could you repost the pics or email em to me? Reav@bellsouth.net
Old 11-19-2004, 09:28 AM
boma

I'll just wait for the Intake that is included when I get the Greddy TT kit =)
Old 11-24-2004, 10:25 AM
340HP

Default Re: CUSTOM INTAKE DONE AWESOME RESULTS W/ BLITZ HKS APEXi TRUST READ NOW WHY ITS BETTER!!

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
Well, for those who don't know what's going on... rodH was asking about a DIY intake. Here is the thread https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=62838
Anyhow, ROAD WARRIOR Made a silly comment (read thread) making it seem like it was very hard and how my idea was stupid... Normally, I would just brush off comments as I laugh most of the time and go about my way as I been working on cars for quite some time when most people that argue with me are just getting into tuning/fixing up whatever... But for some reason, this time I wanted to actually come here and prove someone wrong not to make him look like an idiot, but more for educational purposes and to show that somethings can be done and sometimes the art of buidling our cars is to do custom stuff. I appreciate members like SkidAzzlE who go out and custom do things for their cars, also members like Big Bad Track(sorry misspelled). Those guys and also others do custom stuff that some you can already buy in the market but what I feel it comes down to is making stuff for your car all custom so its unique and at least you can take pride that you did it...

Lets move on now..

Im going to give you why sometimes doing it yourself can be better than buying stuff. Lets take JWT intake Pop Charger.. The going rate is about $125.00? average HP is 6HP That's $20.83 a horsepower. Not bad, honestly best bang for your buck in my opinion! But let me tell you why I wouldnt get one.

A: Their intake filter is just like any China intake that we import which is priced about $10.00. Its really nothing special, filter is used to (hence the name) filter out particles and debri to not get inside our engine bay. If you believe about VENTURI EFFECT, TORNADO, ETC... Your wasting your time! Focus on something that will make more horsepower. So the JWT was a start for me... How would I make this better or if not comparable..

I picked up a Civic intake and start thinking, if the MAF tube didn't have that flange with 4 bolts we can just slip on a filter and call it day which to me is the ideal way for saving money. So I take the intake box out look at the flange and said EASY!! So I talked to my buddy who is a metal expert and had him cut me the civic intake tube a few inches make a plate and weld it so that it fits perfect with the MAF bolts..

Well, the results were fabulous! Put new bolts and fitment was perfect. Now it was time to install it on the car. So the installation was a breeze and in under 5 Minutes it was back on the car ready to go DYNO. We put used a filter made in CHINA (SHOCKING RESULTS) and everything turned out better than I thought, filter placement was in perfect position of the front bumper ram air tube. So that direct air would charge the intake and since I have a Carbon Fiber Vented hood the gill from the hood lande right on top so I was very pleased with that! Here are some pictures installed, the last picture shows a view from inside the tunnel ram air to show how direct the air is.

So now its ready to see what she has. Since we ran a baseline before we knew where the car stood. Strapped her on the Dyno and pulled her I was shocked to see the results 9.7whp... WOW! Not bad... I do have other mods and I feel these mods benifited from the intake making MORE power than usual.

MOVING ALONG....

So now, we decided to strap on a K&N Filter on there to see if any difference in the Dyno... 10min later she is getting pulled and 7.5whp Interesting.... After, pondering for a while I look at both intakes from the inside and as I am doing that I direct the intake towards the light. I compare both, what I noticed was that on the CHINA intake which made more power more light was visible meaning less filtration on the intake so more air and also dust is coming inside the intake more air=MORE POWER. Also CHINA filters are not coated with or pre-oiled like the K&N. Now the K&N showed less light but thats because the K&N is doing its job which is good of course, but I was not disapointed even with the K&N it made more than JWT.

NOW THE FUN STUFF

So we learned that CHINA filters DO MAKE POWER but offer less filtration which in the long run can damage and make your engine less healthy, however keeping a K&N intake as daily driving and popping a CHINA one on the track isn't a bad idea if you ask me. China filters can be picked up from your local shop for about $15.00-$20.00 and K&N go for $30.00-$40.00 (I know wholesalers can get it cheaper so can i )

Trial AND ERROR WHY THIS IS BETTER

Now why would you want to do this? Well, lets see. at the bottom of this post I will show the cost value and upgradeability based on other intakes that cost A LOT MORE!! See, the nice thing about this adapter is that you can change and put your favorite intake APEXi, HKS, GREDDY, BLITZ, ETC... And it will work as all those companies sell standard 3" inlets. Which makes the beauty of this project AWESOME! Now what I do want to do is get an intake from every popular company and dyno test to see the result ::cough:: internet magazine guys you reading this? My car is not stock and had engine mods and performance upgrades which could of made this intake perform better than a stock vehicle so im letting ride like that. I will not post my dyno Graph I am doing stuff and don't want to show where my HP level is currently at as you guys will see in a few months. Most people know I am going TURBO that hasn't changed but have to finish other things first. But what I can do is dyno a stock car (when I get a chance) probably yours JOHN (SSKO771) when your done breaking it in and post a video on-line to show proof of gains.

COST NOW

So you want to do this now, here are the steps and cost. If you have an intake laying around you can use it as your base for the piping, if not go to a muffler shop. They have aluminum 3" piping that I am sure they can cut and sell for under $5.00 Now create a base and line up the screw points, if you know someone with machinery give them your maf plastic piece and have them design it for you. The total cost of the base shouldn't exceed $20.00. So now that you have your base done your pretty much took care of the HARD PART. This next step will make cost go UP DRASTICALLY or keep cost down depending on what filter you decide to go with.

We all know CHINA filters dont filter **** but make POWER! which brings me to believe that companies like AEM, INJEN, use good and well balanced filters and also make power. You can have a filter like FRAM that filters all the dirt but you lose power or get one like these CHINA ones that really dont filter that good but make great power however you decide to go is up to you. That's why name brand companies are limited in power due to liability etc... So we have to be satisfied with whatever they provide. Filters can vary in price as low as $5.00 to as crazy as over $200.00 for a filter!!! thats right, companies like HKS that use foam style are very expensive so dont be surprised if you pay over $100.00. Blitz is a good filter to have, I don't want to compare it to china but its concept is very similar they use metal type mesh to filter particles out not oil paper type so they get more power of their filters.

So now we have $20.00 for the adapter piece and lets say $30.00 for a good filter

TOTAL COST $50.00!

Since we don't know exactly the average HP its really hard to say what the horsepower per dollar is but lets say even at 6whp (based of jwt) thats $8.30 per horsepower... Very acceptable dont you think?

The Greddy Turbo kit avg cost is $6,000 with intercooler aprox HP output is 100whp

Thats $60.00 a horsepower!! Not very efficient if you ask me but than again WE LOVE BOOST!! and I don't mind paying $60.00 to hear those turbo's spin...

FINAL NOTES

Well, as you can see making a 350z intake isn't that hard and can cost under $10.00 total if you have the right connections. Their is one more thing I forgot to stress and that is making a bracket for the intake so that under shifting it wont flop around. I zip tied it.. YES GHETTO!!! for now, as I do my piece... I already know how I am going to do it so its not going to be hard... Maybe I will also make a heat shield
Nice write-up. However, the images are dead. Could you investigate?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

hey im new here but...

Buy used 3 inch intercooler piping. Cut it and use that for tubes.
Ive done that for a lot of cars and it works!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting,but seems like alot of work for 3+ extra HP.The dollars per HP sound good for
the budget.But in the overall picture,its just trying to prove a point.If numbers/dollars
are your interest,it makes sense.Overall,I just don't see how your Z is gonna go any faster or,quick enough for you to feel.Looks are another factor.I'm running a JMT with a polished Berk Z Tube.LOOKS GREAT to me.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCITY
Interesting,but seems like alot of work for 3+ extra HP.The dollars per HP sound good for
the budget.But in the overall picture,its just trying to prove a point.If numbers/dollars
are your interest,it makes sense.Overall,I just don't see how your Z is gonna go any faster or,quick enough for you to feel.Looks are another factor.I'm running a JMT with a polished Berk Z Tube.LOOKS GREAT to me.
I can respect and admire a guy that wants to build it yourself...its unique
for your car.But,I would have to look first on whats out there for sale and how different my unique part would be.I've done custom parts myself.Mainly carbon fiber because its just not available anywhere.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
ehsan

holy revival
Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ehsan
holy revival
yep
Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM
ehsan

Originally Posted by go7roo7
hey im new here but...

Buy used 3 inch intercooler piping. Cut it and use that for tubes.
Ive done that for a lot of cars and it works!
where does your maf sensor go ?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
can'tZme

Live thread...LIVE!!