Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004 | 12:38 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Install?

Originally posted by SungNamZ
Installed Kinetix Plenum on 3/10. Installed Kinetix High Flow Cats today. Borla Exhaust with Kinetix Plenum anf their High Flow Cats is an awesome combination with nice sound. Will do dyno and post.
How did the plenum install go for you?
Old 03-18-2004 | 02:33 PM
jckolnturn

Why did the price of these just jump $50? now they are $399 on the website.
Old 03-18-2004 | 02:49 PM
al503

Originally posted by jckolnturn
Why did the price of these just jump $50? now they are $399 on the website.
LSD did state that the $359 was an introductory price in one of the earlier threads.
Old 03-18-2004 | 03:55 PM
scubasteve

Early on, when this plenum was first being introduced, Kinetix stated that they would have an "introductory price" for the first couple of weeks. They decided to do this instead of a group buy by just offering the deal to everyone who purchased the new plenum during the introductory period. That's why I bought mine early....saved like 50 or something!!
Old 03-18-2004 | 08:55 PM
isalvus

Default Re: Install?

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
hey chris did you do the install and if so how did it go was it
hard i mean the cats and the borla?
Old 03-19-2004 | 03:50 AM
SungNamZ

Default Re: Install?

Install went great. Went and got the inch pound torque wrench from Sears...talked some with Kinetix...and did the install. I have Version 1, so some of the problems that people experienced have gone away with Version 2. I am VERY happy. NO problems. If some come up in the future...return and get Version 2.

Plenum / Cat combination is awesome. Want to dyno, as I think / know I am running lean. Talked to TS, but will take some guessing on their part, even with dyno results from NM to resolve the 5000 feet of elevation.
Old 03-19-2004 | 07:27 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Install?

Originally posted by isalvus
hey chris did you do the install and if so how did it go was it
hard i mean the cats and the borla?
isalvus,

I am not sure if you have me possibly confused with another Chris? I don't have a borla, just the KINETIX plenum and cats. Yes, I did install both myself. Have you seen my instructions page?

-Chris
Old 03-19-2004 | 08:35 AM
Phatmitzu

Default Re: Re: Re: Install?

...I did install both myself. Have you seen my instructions page?

-Chris
Just wanna give a holla! I have just DLed your instruction, I am getting the plenum next week, im sure it will help out a lot.

Thanks for making the instructions!
Old 03-19-2004 | 09:25 AM
mofoz

ya you definetly deserve props for those easy to follow directions. the Z lovers thank you.
Old 03-19-2004 | 10:53 AM
ChrisMCagle

Talking Thanks

Thanks guys.

I will be updating the .PDF file today when I get home because I have made a few minor changes to the instructions to make things a bit easier. The regular website has all the current info on it so go by that for now. It's just the .PDF file that is a bit out of date. They will still work just fine, but there are a few changes.

Hey Phatmitzu,

Are you going to the All Nissan meet tomorrow? If so, I'll see you there.

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 03-19-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-19-2004 | 11:08 AM
Phatmitzu

Default Re: Thanks

...Hey Phatmitzu,

Are you going to the All Nissan meet tomorrow? If so, I'll see you there.

-Chris
Of course! I will be easy to spot...Asian dude with a stock looking PPW with a red hot Bride seat...

See ya tomorrow~
Old 03-20-2004 | 12:18 AM
isalvus

Default Re: Re: Re: Install?

isalvus,

I am not sure if you have me possibly confused with another Chris? I don't have a borla, just the KINETIX plenum and cats. Yes, I did install both myself. Have you seen my instructions page?

-Chris
thanks man i down loaded the plenum instrutions but the plenum haven't came yet thanks wish you had did one for the cats they seem hard.
Old 03-20-2004 | 02:59 AM
cquence 350 [Z]

anyone know where I can get the Crawford plenum? And the price? Thanks
Old 03-21-2004 | 01:28 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Install?

Originally posted by isalvus
thanks man i down loaded the plenum instrutions but the plenum haven't came yet thanks wish you had did one for the cats they seem hard.
No problem. Yeah, I started out making instructions when I installed the cats, but about 3 hours into it, I gave up. The cats are definitely something that I would HIGHLY recommend getting installed at a shop. They are a nightmare if you try to di it yourself in the garage.

-Chris
Old 03-21-2004 | 02:08 PM
rodH

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Install?

No problem. Yeah, I started out making instructions when I installed the cats, but about 3 hours into it, I gave up. The cats are definitely something that I would HIGHLY recommend getting installed at a shop. They are a nightmare if you try to di it yourself in the garage.

-Chris
I actually don't think it is that bad, as long as you remember that 2 of the 3 threaded studs at the header/cat junction are facing one way and the other is facing the other direction. And that you have to use a long extension for the socket set for the one that faces the engine side, other than that, it is very simple.
Old 03-21-2004 | 05:18 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Install?

Originally posted by rodH
I actually don't think it is that bad, as long as you remember that 2 of the 3 threaded studs at the header/cat junction are facing one way and the other is facing the other direction. And that you have to use a long extension for the socket set for the one that faces the engine side, other than that, it is very simple.
Well, I knew about the directions of the bolts, but it is still a pain in the A$$ to get your hands and tools up in there by yourself. I think that it took me about 7 hours to do it myself.

Never again.

-Chris
Old 03-21-2004 | 08:59 PM
350ed
Professional
Premier Member

I installed the plenum this weekend. The hardest part was the coolant block hoses. It's tough to disconnect and reconnect those suckers in the tight space. I needed to drill out the holes in my block too since they weren't drilled right (no biggie). Lost one of those white plastic spacers into the engine black hole too.
Oh yeah, one of the stock bolts at the rear near the plenum (60mm M6) wasn't long enough for me (stripped the lower couple threads when tightening). Kinetix thought it was weird too. I went to the store to get a 75mm one and all is good.

I must say the sound change is striking. Someone compared to a F1 car sound and I'd agree, especially in the garage. Out driving around, the noise takes over below 2600rpm (maybe higher with stock exhaust). Over that it gets droned out. The car definately feels stonger. I think the sound might turn some folks off but I like it. Sounds mean

Might be too loud with HF Cats.
Old 03-22-2004 | 06:10 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Hoses

Originally posted by 350ed
I installed the plenum this weekend. The hardest part was the coolant block hoses. It's tough to disconnect and reconnect those suckers in the tight space. I needed to drill out the holes in my block too since they weren't drilled right (no biggie). Lost one of those white plastic spacers into the engine black hole too.
Oh yeah, one of the stock bolts at the rear near the plenum (60mm M6) wasn't long enough for me (stripped the lower couple threads when tightening). Kinetix thought it was weird too. I went to the store to get a 75mm one and all is good.

I must say the sound change is striking. Someone compared to a F1 car sound and I'd agree, especially in the garage. Out driving around, the noise takes over below 2600rpm (maybe higher with stock exhaust). Over that it gets droned out. The car definately feels stonger. I think the sound might turn some folks off but I like it. Sounds mean

Might be too loud with HF Cats.
350ed,

I found that the easiest way disconnect and reconnect the coolant hose on the bottom of the plenum (the one pointing straight down) is with the plenum actually off and moved to the side. The other one (by the throttle body) I didn't think was that tough to get with a decent pair of neeld nose pliers. Did you get a version 1 or 2 KINETIX plenum?

I wouldn't worry about losing that white spacer... well, if it fell into a moving part of the engine, then YES I would worry, but otherwise, it's not a big deal. I don't even have my engine cover tightened down in the back, just the two bolts in the front and it's not moving anywhere. I didn't want to have to take the strut bar off every time I wanted to take off the engine cover.

I agree that the sound is awesome! I especially like the little growl in between shifts. I have the high flow cats too and the sound is not too loud at all. I would say that with the high flow cats and stock exhaust the sound is like a borla system. It's just a hair louder than stock, but enough to notice. I'm getting a Pop Charger today from Performance Nissan so maybe that'll make it sound even better? Who knows?

-Chris
Old 03-22-2004 | 04:21 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

I am a hair away from pulling the trigger on my credit card and ordering the Plenum... One thing that worrys me, I have the AEM intake and I heard at least 1 person menction that the AEM CAI seems to be robbing some power from the Plenum mod. Is there any proven truth to this or is this heresay?

Also 1 thing I did that helped my AEM CAI was buying an oversized replacement AEM filter element, it fits a bit more snug in the wheelwell but its i'm sure it helps a bit. I just don't want to pay $400 and do all that work installing it to be dissappointed.

Anybody with an AEM CAI install the plenum and get bad results? Should I even be conserned?

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 03-22-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2004 | 05:21 PM
pricanz

Angry 2 cracked plenums

Originally posted by FLY BY Z

I had the version 1 ad installed it myself and it cracked around one of the bolts, wrote them & they send me a version 2 and the holes did not line up too good and the thing cracked apliying the recommended torque on the last bolt
this happen on saturday 20th 2004 and wrote the kinetik guys that night. six hours later I have two cracked plenums on my dinning room table and the stock plenum on the car
***I'm still waiting for the reply from kinetik racing***

Yes the plenum makes the power. The wars are generally not about which makes more power, more about looks and STB differences. If you just want to make the 10 or so HP a plenum makes and keep everything else the same, the Kinetix will work great. If you want a little more bling with your power, get the Crawford and their STB. The leak or cracking issues were nullified after the first 20 plenums sold so you can disregard anyone making comments about that. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Kinetix Plenum