Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

High Flow Cats: Rating HP??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:41 AM
DanF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OBDII does not allow for any modification to the converters, that includes replacing them with an exact bolt-in. Technically, the only approved converter swap was the dealership. It's all about the money. Many cars can pass the tailpipe test without converters but would fail because of the absense of the converter. The bottom line should be the actual emissions from the tailpipe. if it's below the standard then converters should not be required.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:17 AM
JerAnth

.....anyone use the test pipes for on-road driving? How much does the sound differ from the hi flow cats?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

alot - test pipes are just loud, and resonate pretty badly on thsi engine, though it depends what other exhaust components its mated to
Old 04-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test pipes are loud...

rt cats are a little softer then test pipes but they are still loud...

the rt cats are almost as loud as test pipes because they are such high flow cats...

higher flow in the exhaust is going to equal louder exhaust sounds...
Old 04-05-2004, 09:52 PM
ZRAYGO

Im going with helix....cau you hear me....I SAID IM GOING WITH HELIX!!!.....zoom zoom...
Old 04-06-2004, 03:07 AM
PainProphet

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
The R/T's are 50 state CARB approved (except in Calif????) Go figure. Here's the only chart I have.... but I think there is a better one floating around out there. This is the flow bench chart done by T/S.
Anyone know where the kinetix cats rate agains the other hf cats out there? For some reason I think I read that they are somewhere inbetween the rt cats and crawford cats in respect to flow.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:10 AM
DrVolkl

Yeah, I'd like to know myself. I think I'm going with the Kinetix cats (magnaflow). Decent price, look good. From the "sounds" of things, the test pipes are REALLY loud. That kinda scares me.

Although, Kinetix does offer a test pipe WITH a resonator....damn, back to square one.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:42 PM
JPizzle

I wanted to get the test pipes with resonator, but I liked the price without them
Old 04-06-2004, 02:26 PM
DrVolkl

Originally posted by JPizzle
I wanted to get the test pipes with resonator, but I liked the price without them
Yeah, no kidding! So tempting. How's the noise level? It's hard enough to have a conversation in the car as it is. Can't imagine going on a long drive with test pipes...

So test pipes with resonator, or for a few more $$, get the cats? They're so dang close in price and they claim that the cats have the same flow rate....they sure don't make this easy.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:31 PM
JPizzle

I'm still waiting for my test pipes to come in. As far for the sound, it will certainly let people know I'm coming
Old 04-07-2004, 02:34 AM
JerAnth

Anyone know where I can find the R/T cats? Been looking (maybe not hard enough) but cant seem to find any. Whats the best prices out there?
Old 04-07-2004, 04:08 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JerAnth
Anyone know where I can find the R/T cats? Been looking (maybe not hard enough) but cant seem to find any. Whats the best prices out there?
In stock ready to ship. Say your a Forum member and we will honor the $500.00 price: http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=188
Old 04-07-2004, 05:55 AM
PainProphet

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
In stock ready to ship. Say your a Forum member and we will honor the $500.00 price: http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=188
tempting as I'm still waiting on my kinetix hf cats :/
Old 04-08-2004, 08:05 AM
jng1226

To add to your decision-making quandary, the test pipes should weigh significantly less than the cats.

Helix test pipes are only $199 btw...

Originally posted by DrVolkl
Yeah, no kidding! So tempting. How's the noise level? It's hard enough to have a conversation in the car as it is. Can't imagine going on a long drive with test pipes...

So test pipes with resonator, or for a few more $$, get the cats? They're so dang close in price and they claim that the cats have the same flow rate....they sure don't make this easy.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Jsn350Z

My Kinetix Cats are "out for delivery" right now. As SOON as they get here Iam going to install them so I will be able to chime in a little bit later on today, after I detail my car.

They will be combined with the Nismo exhaust that is already on my car.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:42 PM
PainProphet

Jsn350Z what was your order date? Just wondering how many business days your order date and your ship date were so I can gauge how much longer I have to wait, I have waited 12 business days so far...
Old 04-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

we got UR ones ready to go as well (same ones I use on my own car)- $474 shipped
Old 04-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Jsn350Z

Got them installed today.

A little disapointed...

I feel only very little power, but I do belive I have a broken butt dyno.

Sound, there is a raspy sound between 3.5-4.5k sometimes, not all of the time though and It bothers me. Maybe this will go away after they break in?!??

Sound when not raspy? Bad ***! Couldnt keep my foot out of the gas all night long. Pretty damn loud but not as loud as I expected.

Man, I thought I was really going to feel the power... I think after the plenum I am done with NA mods. And I will save up for a clutch/lightweight flywheel.

My order date was 3.27.04 and it was shipped out yesturday with overnight shipping. I had called for them to ship me out a pair faster then the norm because I am going on vacation with my car tomorrow and needed them on the car for that.

Oh yeah, fitment was OK.... Not great by any means. Had to bend the heatshield out of the way, the 02 sensor wires were stretched so slight modification was done, and the brace that connects to each cat was very misalighned.

No CEL light came one.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:21 AM
PainProphet

Originally posted by Jsn350Z

Oh yeah, fitment was OK.... Not great by any means. Had to bend the heatshield out of the way, the 02 sensor wires were stretched so slight modification was done, and the brace that connects to each cat was very misalighned.
Damn, I have only heard of the heatshield having to be bent in the past, I thought these cats were supposed to be direct bolt on replacement... I hope I don't have to bend and mod them at all.... was another point of going with kinetix :/
Old 04-09-2004, 03:34 AM
jng1226

Thanks for the review and please update as you get more miles on. They definitely use the "no raspiness" as a selling point, so I do hope it goes away too. I already have a Topspeed Pro-1 exhaust which is loud as 'ell all by itself, and I was thinking Kinetix because I thought they were quieter than R/Ts.

Quick Reply: High Flow Cats: Rating HP??