Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

High Flow Cats: Rating HP??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Jsn350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little update..

Got home tonight, and I was epxecting the cats to get better over my vacation. Lets just say they are coming off the car tomorrow and I am putting the stock ones back on..

I have bad fitment, more rasp, service engine light, and cracks..

I hope it is just me that got a bad set, I know kinetix is a great company and I know they are known for great customer service. I just hope I get a taste of that great service tomorrow when I call them.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:37 PM
jng1226

Wow, that's terrible news. Why did the check engine light come on? Do the Kinetix cats not have a O2 sensor bung on them? Perhaps your stock sensor was damaged when the swap was made?

Matt G. just reported that he blew out his RT cats after only 3000 miles. It caused running problems until he had them cleaned out, pretty much like test pipes now. In my county they do sniffer tests during the required annual inspection, I wish I could run test pipes and be done with it...
Old 04-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Jsn350Z

Light came on because the cats cracked and it was letting to much air into the system, and making the sensors read that the motor was running to lean from what the tech guy told me.

I did notice on the way home I got worse gas mileage then usuall and that my exhaust tips were EXTREAMLY black.

I am confused as to if it was running lean, why would it use MORE gas? Eh, oh well, stockers are going back on and I have will make one of three choices..

1 . Just get my money back
2. Exchange for Plenum
3. Get money back and put it towards Crawford HF Cats.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:06 PM
jng1226

Wow, a total failure of the component. Not good. All this in only something like 300-400 miles? I'm sure they will take care of you, from what I've read recently on this board they seem like decent folks. I hope it's just a fluke because those are what I wanted too.

I think it makes sense that your tips were black, since the O2 sensor was (falsely) detecting a really high A/F ratio it was maxing out the injectors to get the ratio "right" and hence it was really running super rich. But then again I don't know jack-$hit about motors and tuning! I've been reading this board too much, that and I stayed at a Courtyard last night
Old 04-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Jsn350Z

Actually that makes since to me. Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah like I said, I hope it was just my set that came out this bad.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:54 AM
PainProphet

damn I feel sick to my stomach.... I had two emails this morning, one telling me about these posts in this thread, the other a shipment notification from kinetix. Praying that these cats are a lot better than the ones you got, sorry man

Last edited by PainProphet; 04-14-2004 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:54 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Kinetix cats on for 10 days or so. Fitment is exactly the same as posted - the braces connecting the two doesn't have a hope in hell of bolting to the cats hanger. Also, the passenger side 02 sensor wire was a little stretched.

However, I've had zero raspyness. The sound is very mellow and OEM with just a bit more volume. I've driven in a buddy's RT cat with Stillen exhaust/header and it's much louder and higher pitched than my setup. He also had that raspyness.

All in all, for the price I find the Kinetix cats worth it.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:21 AM
lowrider

Jsn

My recommendation is Choice 3, get the Crawfords. You can see by my earlier post that I was extremely happy when installed. My satisifaction has only gotten better. My fabricated exhaust system that I have, used to have an annoying resonance at low RPMs (1K to 2.5K). I learned to live with it. But now, I don't know why, the resonance is now gone. The sound is still great, the added power is still there. And as I said before, there were no fitment issues and the workmanship was top notch. I'm still very happy with these cats.

Lou
Old 04-14-2004, 04:41 AM
lowrider

Jsn

You know on further thought, it's my opinion that the plenum should come before the cats. IMO, the plenum garnered me more power than the cats. Of course I'm happy with them both, and that's the way to go, if you can afford it. My plenum, is of course, a Crawford v5.

Lou
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 AM
JPizzle

body kit is coming tomorrow =]
test pipes still not here =[
maybe i should get in touch with someone from kinetix because the body kit was attempted to be delivered last week when I was out of town; maybe same situation happened with test pipes? Does kinetix's delivery service drop off or do you have to sign?

Last edited by JPizzle; 04-14-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Jsn350Z

They use FedEx and they like you to sign. I just leave a note saying :

UPS/FedEx, Please leave packages at the door if no one is home. Thank you!

Jason Fielding

I am always usy and not home, and this seems to work. My door is offset away form the street and I am in a very safe town so I have no worries.

Leaving to take the cats off right now...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:20 AM
JPizzle

Fedex/ups leaves something to verify they attempted a ship though, since the body kit is so big, they have to use different shipping methods
Old 04-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Jsn350Z

Jasons bad luck continues...

Had the stockers put back on. I left the shop, everything was fine except for the fact that it sounded extreamly quiet and I have decided to go with option 3. Get Crawfords cats!

Anyways, on the way home I here a BAM!! And all of a sudden it sounds like ai blew a hole in the muffler. I get back to the muffler shop and look under the car, and theres the problem.. My o2 sensor laying on the ground ALL banged up! Well, for now there is a plug in the hole and they ordered a new o2 sensor for me at their cost and they will have it in a few days.

Doesnt matter though because the car is at Nissan for other warranty work ( bad lower ball joint )

Did I mention I have bad luck?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Jsn350Z

More bad luck?

I can not get ahold of Kinetix. I can't even leave a message because their mail box is full... Me thinks they need someone to answer phones for them.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:14 PM
PainProphet

Yeah they definitely need more employees. Out of curiousity, how much did you spend for your o2 sensor? Did you get it from Nissan as well, screw the crawfords(no offense crawford), just get some test pipes, thats what I'm going to do if my kinetix cats are crap like yours :/
Old 04-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've said it before, but so few people seem to be willing to listen

My Ultimate Cats went on the car without incident - now on for about 10k miles, no rattles,leaks, problems, of any kind - just a nice slight growl under WOT, and noticeably better power across the board.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Jsn350Z

Another update ...

Kinetix came threw for me and they do indeed have great customer service.

I sent them an email and not to long after that got a call from them.

They offered to send me a new set of cats and that he would test them before he shipped them out. However I had decided that I wanted the plenum and he is going to ship me a plenum free of any charge at all on monday. They are also making it stronger so that they will better be able to withstand FI applications and I will be getting the newer, stronger version

So all in all I suppose it worked out and I will be getting Crawford cats as my next mod, once my car is all taken care of...

So all in all, sure I had a bad experiance with their cats, but they came threw and made it right.

About the o2 sensor, you better bet I didnt pay for that!! The company that ordered it, did order from nissan, and they paid $180.00 and that is 30% off for their price. So I THINK the normal pric is $234.00 ?

I will be getting crawfords because I do not want ANY rasp, I HATE the sound of it and I think with test pipes it is kind of unavoidable. I also want crawfords because they have been around for a while, and there have been no complaints from their customers on their cats. They might not make quite as much power, but not enough to fight over, ya know?

So.. Get ball joint fixed, get replacement o2 sensor, install my eibachs, install new plenum, repaint front bumper ( got KILLED on my trip ), get clear bra kit ( again ), and THEN I will be able to get the high flows, so itll be a while :/
Old 04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
lowrider

Jsn

Good Choice on the Crawfords, as I indicated above. I'm really tickled with mine. No issues at all.

Lou
Old 04-14-2004, 05:20 PM
can350z

Default Labree Cats...

Will be trading for my RT's this week....
Will post full review when complete...

R
Attached Thumbnails High Flow Cats: Rating HP??-mvc-384f.jpg  
Old 06-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Grey Matter

Default Re: Labree Cats...

Originally posted by can350z
Will be trading for my RT's this week....
Will post full review when complete...

R
Did you install the Labree Cats yet? If so how do you like them?

Quick Reply: High Flow Cats: Rating HP??