Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

High Flow Cats: Rating HP??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Jsn350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it is deffinitly rasy between 3.5-4.5k in first and sometimes second gear. When the car is cold it is EXTREAMLY raspy, ALWAYS. Then it goes away.

I am hoping that by the time I get back from vacation it will be gone. I lOVE the way mycar sounds now, except for the rasp I am getting.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Jsn350Z

Also, I like the fact that my car still kind of has the stock sound to it ( Nismo + Kinetix ) but its just ultra super magnified. LOVE it, echos when I rev it and you can here it waaay far away. Only if the rasp wasnt there.

More on fitment

The passenger side cat was about 2 mm away form the heat sheild, but not touching, so we bent it away anyways. The right one had maybe a cm and we left it alone.

The two wires were very stretched out so we had to "modify" the brakets that hold them in place to give them some slack.

The bolted up to the headers and to the Y pipe just fine.

Biggest problem was getting the brace that connects to the cats back on. Those were not aligned AT ALL! Not in the slightest bit. Took some work... But it is fine now.

Anyways, I am leaving at about 12:30-1:00 so I can post up answers to any more questions until then. If not, I'll talk to everyone next week!
Old 04-09-2004, 09:56 AM
PainProphet

Has anyone gotten kinetix cats as well and had the same fitting "issues" I don't really like the idea of having the two wires very scretched out for the o2 sensors. Nor do I like the idea of having to bend brackets that: "They also retain the factory converter brace brackets and include all necessary hardware." Direct quote from their site. I'm seriously considering cancelling my order now unless these problems are found will all aftermarket hf cats for our cars or they just rushed your set of cats and thats why they didn't fit better.

Last edited by PainProphet; 04-09-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Jsn350Z

"they just rushed your set of cats and thats why they didn't fit better."

I was also curious about this...
Old 04-09-2004, 10:27 AM
lowrider

A little disapointed...

I feel only very little power, but I do belive I have a broken butt dyno.

Sound, there is a raspy sound between 3.5-4.5k sometimes, not all of the time though and It bothers me. Maybe this will go away after they break in?!??

Sound when not raspy? Bad ***! Couldnt keep my foot out of the gas all night long. Pretty damn loud but not as loud as I expected.

Man, I thought I was really going to feel the power... I think after the plenum I am done with NA mods. And I will save up for a clutch/lightweight flywheel.

My order date was 3.27.04 and it was shipped out yesturday with overnight shipping. I had called for them to ship me out a pair faster then the norm because I am going on vacation with my car tomorrow and needed them on the car for that.

Oh yeah, fitment was OK.... Not great by any means. Had to bend the heatshield out of the way, the 02 sensor wires were stretched so slight modification was done, and the brace that connects to each cat was very misalighned.

No CEL light came one.
Well

I just got home from the muffler shop that installed my Crawford Hi-Flows. No Issues here.

1. Not disappointed.

2. I didn't expect to feel a big difference in power, and I don't. My butt tells me there is something there, but with each successive mod, I'm feeling less.

3. No raspy sound at all. The sound is lower and deeper. VERY nice. My exhaust is a custom built dual system built around 2.25" pipe with a crossover, 2 glass packed BlueStreak resonators, and a cross flow Magnaflow muffler.

4. As stated above sound is nice, very satasified. Not sure what bad *** sounds like, but the Crawfords sound great.

5. As I said, I wasn't expecting to feel a lot of power difference, so I wasn't disappointed.

6. The cats were on my doorstep 7 days after placing my order with Doug.

7. No fitment problems whatsoever. Everything lined up fine. The sensor wires not stretched. No issues. The installer only had to go thru the hood once, to remove a stubborn nut from the old cats. He did everything else from the bottom.

8. No CEL light came on here either.

My installation cost was $41.29 total, The shop charged me a shop charge of $1.29. Didn't understand this, but no argument for such a small amount.

I am very happy with my choice.

Lou
Old 04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Jsn350Z

All of my work was done from the bottom.

I wanted Crafords at first, but then I found out thew flow the least of all the cats and were more quiet. If it wasnt for the damn rasp I'd be 100% happy with my cats.

Sure, there was fitment issues, but hey, they are on and fine. Not much power, oh well. Sound is great, just need to get rid of the rasp. I will call kinetix when I get home from vacation to see if there is anything I can do about it if it still exists by then.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:00 AM
lowrider

Jsn

From all I've heard, I believe you're mistaken. Of the three aftermarket cats out there. R/Ts flow the best, Crawford 2nd and Kinetix 3rd. All flow much better than stock, however.

Don't want to start an argument here, but the Crawfords cost less, flow better, the workmanship was impeccable, and there were no fitment isssues. Love 'em.

Lou
Old 04-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Jsn350Z

Crawfords cost less? Thought they were more. Kinetix costs $389

Kinetix do NOT flow the the least.

The flow chart that is around shows crawford, then RT, then test pipes. No one has done a flow chart yet for the kinetix so there really is no telling. But, the estimate is that kinteitx are between crawford and RT.

I thought Crawfords were $500? Wonder where I got that from..Hmm
Old 04-09-2004, 11:51 AM
lowrider

Jsn

You're right Crawfords do cost more. They are $427.00. Strictly Z had them for $500.00. Crawford, however sells them for $427.00. For some reason I thought Kinetix were $439.00. I guess not. However in regards to flow:

1. Test Pipes
2. R/T
3. Crawford
4. Kinetix

The difference between Kinetix and Crawford is very small, but the Crawfords do flow a little more.

As far as price in total

You paid $389 plus $115 installation = $504.
I paid $427 plus $41 Installation = $468.

I guess the Crawfords were cheaper overall because of the better fitment.

Anyway - Let's both be happy.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 04-09-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
JPizzle

still waiting for my test pipes =[
im also waiting for my body kit, i really wanted to get it installed this week
Old 04-09-2004, 03:59 PM
PainProphet

All this friggin waiting with no gdamn customer contact is making me contemplate getting test pipes or hf cats from another company... Obviously I didn't research customer service when I looked into hf cats, also didn't get enough reviews about the fit of these cats(I thought I had read enough about them)
Old 04-09-2004, 04:01 PM
JPizzle

Kinetix definately has one of the better customer services available, as seen from many documented incidents.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:03 PM
PainProphet

Originally posted by JPizzle
Kinetix definately has one of the better customer services available, as seen from many documented incidents.
maybe after you receive the product, but not before, only time I recieve updates is when I pm them about it, and it takes at least a day to three days before I hear anything back, I'm going to check my bank account to see if they have charged me
Old 04-09-2004, 05:10 PM
PainProphet

update: I called kinetix (not looking forward to that cell phone bill as I live in delaware) Talked to Jaime, He is very cool, they will be looking into this thread in respect to fitment problems. I should have my cats by next weekend so I will see how they fit as I will be doing them myself (lost patience and am getting my catback exhaust installed this weekend by a local garage with a lift. I guess my mistake was pm'ing through this forum instead of calling. I know a lot of people on this forum live in CA so its easier just to call but not for me unfortunately (yes I'm a cheapskate). Sounds like they are going to take care of me, I will keep you all posted...

also, I hate having to be a dick when it comes to this stuff, everything else I don't mind being an a hole about but cars and performance parts I really hate giving people a hard time about.... I just don't want a major headache when I try to install these myself.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:35 PM
lowrider

Mr Pain

IMO, you should wait, and install the exhaust and the Cats at the same time. One week isn't such a big deal. They bolt up together, and if you are going to do them both, do them at the same time. I didn't of course. When I put on my exhaust, I had no idea I'd be getting Cats. You, however, have that advantage,

Lou
Old 04-09-2004, 05:50 PM
PainProphet

Originally posted by lowrider
Mr Pain

IMO, you should wait, and install the exhaust and the Cats at the same time. One week isn't such a big deal. They bolt up together, and if you are going to do them both, do them at the same time. I didn't of course. When I put on my exhaust, I had no idea I'd be getting Cats. You, however, have that advantage,

Lou
Mr Low,

I know thats what I had originally intended upon doing but screw it, it will cost me less because I'm going to have the local garage do my cat back exhaust and I will do the cats...
Old 04-09-2004, 05:55 PM
JPizzle

I have free long distance
Old 04-09-2004, 05:59 PM
PainProphet

Originally posted by JPizzle
I have free long distance
I have cingular nation but they have a tendancy to screw me over, waiting for the bottom half of my state to allow me to change my cell number to another carrier, i.e. verizon...
Old 04-10-2004, 02:46 AM
JerAnth

Any one with the R/T cats and the borla true duel........how does it sound/feel?
Old 04-10-2004, 05:06 AM
jng1226

Pain - please update on the Kinextix fitment/sound issue when you get them, that should gives 2 strong opinions on their most-recently products.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: High Flow Cats: Rating HP??