Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

crawford or kentix cats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:49 AM
o snap its eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crawford or kentix cats?

I do not want to beat a dead horse but the search function does not work for me. Im looking to add cats to my car. I voided out RT because of the raspy noise it produces. Now that just leaves me to Crawford and kenetix.

So far i've tried my best to keep up with the cat stories and the following are what i've read and seen.

Kentix: Good: pass visual inspection, cheap price, feel gains, crisp clean sound, suppositly more tuned for overall power in the powerband rather than peak power
Bad: Fitment issues ( That is a big issue)

Crawford: Good: Long time company with reputable integrity. Pass visual inpection. Better flow according to some charts but never compared with kenetix/
Bad: Not too many people do reviews on it, i dont know the specs (more power at peak or broad power), i dont know if they produce raspy noise or what.

It may seem from my thread that Crawford is not as good because i do not read any reviews for it but im keeping an open mind about Crawford. I know its a good company but it seems like no one is doing any sort of revies for it. I would really want to know more about Crawford Cats. I wouldnt mind giving them a try but i would like to ask the community before choosing. Thanks
Old 04-23-2004, 11:31 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I can’t give you a real performance review of our cats because I installed them at the same time as my headers. I suppose that is the same reason there may be limited reviews because many people buy headers / cats or plenum / cats in combo. What I can tell you is the cats are made using stainless tube and O2 bung welded to the stainless cat with 3/8” laser cut flanges.

Here are the flow charts that TechnoSquare did.

As always call Doug if you want to order. 615-327-4159
I think there may even be a set of cats that are not spoken for ready to ship.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:08 PM
lowrider

I have the Crawfords. Great workmanship, fitment, and sound. A little added power. I luv 'em. BTW, the Crawfords are not the Magnaflow/carsound units used by Kinetix, and I think Labree. I believe the Crawfords flow a little better. IMO, you couldn't make a better choice than the Crawfords.

Lou
Old 04-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Bini2

I can only speak for Crawford...I really like the sound on the Crawfords. I have stock exhaust, but they give me a little bit of a growl in the 3k range.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:16 PM
o snap its eric

No raspyness in sound?
Old 04-24-2004, 08:00 AM
lowrider

No raspy sound in my system. The Crawfords are mellow, and as Bini said, the system now has a growl at WOT. BTW, I have a fabricated dual system that had a resonance, that I learned to live with. After I installed the Crawfords, that resonance went away. I can't explain it, but the resonance is now gone.

Lou
Old 04-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Sosa

I think as far as performance goes, they'll all be within within. I'd recommend doing one of the package deals of headers/cats, or cats/plenum (the latter which both crawford and kinetix offer). I happened to go Kinetix and my cats fit perfectly and sound great... no issues at all. Crawford has such an awesome reputation for a reason tho-- everything they make is top notch. Flip a coin .
Old 04-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Bini2

Originally posted by o snap its eric
No raspyness in sound?
No. I specifically did not want the "tin can" sound. I am very pleased with the sound. I'll try to upload some clips in the next day or two.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:41 PM
o snap its eric

thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 05:39 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by Sosa
I think as far as performance goes, they'll all be within within. I'd recommend doing one of the package deals of headers/cats, or cats/plenum (the latter which both crawford and kinetix offer). I happened to go Kinetix and my cats fit perfectly and sound great... no issues at all. Crawford has such an awesome reputation for a reason tho-- everything they make is top notch. Flip a coin .
there is a crawford plenum/cat package deal? I couldn't find it on their site.. can you point me to the right direction? thanks!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:29 AM
fdao

Originally posted by Apexi350z
there is a crawford plenum/cat package deal? I couldn't find it on their site.. can you point me to the right direction? thanks!
You just need to call Doug at Crawford. He'll take care of you if you mentioned that you're a my350z.com member . He can quote you on a combo deal.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:24 PM
zachcrosen

If anyone is interested in the Kinetix high flow cats or the resonated test pipes, I will be hosting a GB for Kinetix on 1 of these products in the coming weeks.

Zach
Old 06-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Jsn350Z

My experiance with the kinetix cats was a nightmare. Bad fitment, they cracked, BOTH of them ( due to bad fitment ) and even before they cracked they were extreeeaamly raspy. They were off my car within a week and replaced with stock. I then ordered the Crawfords and wished that I made that choice to begin with.

Kinetix service on the other hand was great and they did their best to make me happy.

Crawfords looked great, fit great, sounded great, and the power was great. I didnt feel anything with the Kinetix piece but power from the Crawfords was excellent from day one.

On a side note, the only real problem that many people have with Kinetix is not so great fitment, but it usually does not cause them the problems that I had. Most kinetix owners also say they don't have any rasp either, soo yeah... I just have bad luck..
Old 06-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Jsn350Z

BTW I had the car smogged with the Nismo + Crawfords and passed with ease, and this is in California. ( Both visual and the sniffer )
Old 06-13-2004, 05:08 AM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
BTW I had the car smogged with the Nismo + Crawfords and passed with ease, and this is in California. ( Both visual and the sniffer )
thats great to hear since i just bought the crawfords and i am the emissions **** state of cali....did you happen to dyno, or how is your power...any loss or gain down low....thanks
Old 06-13-2004, 06:51 AM
Jsn350Z

Sorry no dyno. I could feel no difference down low, but in the upper RPM range I deffinitly felt it. There might have been power down low, just not enough for me to notice. It also became MUCH easier to break compleatly loose in second and easier to chirp third gear every so often.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Road Warrior

i am very frustrated right now . ....went to install my crawford cats and got half way through the job, had one cat out at the time, and ended up having to put that sucker back in because i got the wrong hardware . ...and could not re-use factory...you know why if you have removed them i thought the bolts looked a little small before i started but put two and two together until i went to put the new cat in i also did not have enough of my own hardware to do the install

i plan on calling dougy this morning and give him some shiiit....they sent plenum hardware instead of the cat hardware... and i had no other vehicle to go get new hardware talk about a let down.... and no, having a beer didn't make it any better..

the quality is definately there, and the stockers are really heavy in comparison....anyways, i am really looking forward to getting these things in once i receive the correct hardware....dougy if your out there and happen to read this....you owe me a sixer at least...