Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results

After much speculation about CAI and Short Ram types and my plenum being delivered this upcoming week I have thought it out and decided to go with the short ram style and after a couple of hours of testing in 85 degree weather I have already felt good results..

I firmly believe now that the long and curvy tube is detrimental to the air flow and also because of the lenght and the amount of heated tube the air has to pass thru before it hits the engine.. The warm air is really not a factor since when your car is moving the majority of the air is fresh anyway.. Also I didn't notice any loss of power while driving in stop and go traffic with the AC on because of the air temp.

My findings:

-2HP gain average out of 3 runs on my G-Timer 2 (previous best ever was 243HP on many runs, I managed a 245 after this mod). Take this however you want, alot of people don't respect G-timer numbers anyway..

-Better throttle response, I noticed with the CAI that the car would lag for a fracton of a second after hitting the gas, not too noticible until you compare Short vs Cold Air intake on your own car after driving it for 20k miles.

-Dead on motionless idle, with my CAI the idle was a tiny bit bumpy, not a big deal but a diffrence nonetheless..

-Low rpm power seems more responsive, I cannot tell much of a difference in the upper end but its deffinatly not losing power.

-Sound is better, with the CAI it sounded muffled from being stuffed into the tiny wheel well

Overall opinion for lack of a better term the car feels "healthier".

Here's how it was done. It requires some work but even after this is done it can still be used again as a CAI if you want to switch back since there is still plenty of tube to attach the filter too after the tube is cut.

AEM CAI as installed:
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-aem-cai.jpg  

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 05-01-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Lower Tube removed:
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-oem-connector.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

I cut off aprox 2.5 inches of the lower part of the tube where the filter connects normally to use as a connector:
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-cut-tube.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

The parts before assembled:
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-filter-parts2.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Parts assembled:
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-filter-assembled2.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Installed:
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-installed.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Another picture of installation:
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-filter-installed.jpg  

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 05-01-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:59 PM
spdu4ia

oh i'm so doing this tomorrow!!!
Old 05-01-2004, 04:18 PM
westpak
SFZCC

You need to do something about shielding it from hot air from the engine. I had my INJEN that way and when I went to the dyno it just deteriorated run after run and I think it was because of the hot air, I reinstalled it down at the grill and went back to the dyno and the runs were consistent that time.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by westpak
You need to do something about shielding it from hot air from the engine. I had my INJEN that way and when I went to the dyno it just deteriorated run after run and I think it was because of the hot air, I reinstalled it down at the grill and went back to the dyno and the runs were consistent that time.
IMO the heat shield doesn't make much of a difference if any once your moving, even with it's in place its vaccuming in air from all over the engine and the only way that it would work is if it was sealed off.. Also as you can see in the next to last picture the filter sits infront of that hole where the air shoots in from the air damn getting fresh air, the pop charger sits alot closer to the OEM plastic peice thats closer to the engine..

After I get my Kinetix Plenum, heak soak will nearly be a none issue with the plastic plenum and the shorter intake tube that is now 1/2 plastic.. Also that filter is oversized compared to what was reccommended for the AEM, my next filter will even be larger now that I have more room.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:12 PM
bigern1970

Default this worked pretty good for me

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
IMO the heat shield doesn't make much of a difference if any once your moving, even with it's in place its vaccuming in air from all over the engine and the only way that it would work is if it was sealed off.. Also as you can see in the next to last picture the filter sits infront of that hole where the air shoots in from the air damn getting fresh air, the pop charger sits alot closer to the OEM plastic peice thats closer to the engine..

After I get my Kinetix Plenum, heak soak will nearly be a none issue with the plastic plenum and the shorter intake tube that is now 1/2 plastic.. Also that filter is oversized compared to what was reccommended for the AEM, my next filter will even be larger now that I have more room.
I did this worked pretty good........and by the way time to clean and oil that dirty filter
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-funnel.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 06:13 PM
bigern1970

Default Re: this worked pretty good for me

Originally posted by bigern1970
I did this worked pretty good........and by the way time to clean and oil that dirty filter
scoop
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-scoop.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 06:14 PM
bigern1970

Default fresh air

fresh air
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-family-pics-059.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 06:19 PM
bigern1970

Default jwt with hield shield

jwt charger with heat shield
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Not pretty but Interesting idea.. You sure its getting enough air into the filter and not suffocating it?
Old 05-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Default Re: this worked pretty good for me

Originally posted by bigern1970
Can you believe that filter is only 3 months old and only has about 4000 miles on it? Another reason why I wanted to move the filter out of that well..
Old 05-01-2004, 08:55 PM
all_bark

how about a real modified injen cai into a hybrid injen/pop charger full cai....

this of course is when i put it in and the whole thing was disasembled.
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-injeninstall3.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 08:57 PM
all_bark

and this after I had it all put back together...
Attached Thumbnails I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results-finished-install.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 09:53 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for anyone who has a 3" K&N or other filter sitting around, I was at Autozone trying to find brake pads for my wifes car and I went to look at the filter section, there is a couple adapters you can buy (like the black welded piece on this tread) either metal or composite (aka-plastic). I did this mod, I like it
Old 05-02-2004, 05:51 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

I might buy the heat shield from JWT if it can be bought seperately. Anybody know of a site that you can order just the heat shield? I looked myself and only found the popcharger+shield..

Quick Reply: I modified my AEM CAI into a "pop charger". Pics and How-to inside.. Got good results