Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently
View Poll Results: Has your VERSION 3 Kinetix Plenum cracked?
Yes
20.00%
No
80.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Kinetix Cracking Poll (Revised, V3 Only)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:56 PM
John@Victory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive driven about 1500 miles on my v3....havent made it to the track yet.....but i cant say anything but great things about kinetix,from the product to their customer service.....great people
Old 05-13-2004, 06:59 PM
N74DV

man.... I've been away from the forums for a while. BUT I called this a while back.

I hate to say I told you so, but ... well....

look at what I said back in January in this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....m&pagenumber=5

shown below for those who don't want to go read it.....

LSD.....so youre gonna start selling these after only one prototype with limited testing??

seems to me there ought to be some extensive semi-long term testing/R&D under various conditions before this thing hits the market.

inevitably there are always design changes that come about after a prototype is put to "real" use.

would hate to see a bunch of guys buy this right off the bat and then get hosed later.... unless of course there will be some form of trade-in program for any newer versions.

not being a real *****.... just being real.

So were at what... version 3 now?! Jesus. I hate to dog on LSD but damn.... why you wanna put your customers through this?? Do some REAL R&D and release it when it's proven

IMO there shouldn't be 3 versions.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:01 AM
SungNamZ

I don't think you can find one Kinetix customer that has been "hosed". Maybe some inconvenience or perhaps a little frustration, but not "hosed". Many, if not the vast majority accepted the potential problems. Kinetix has provided and continues to provide the BEST customer service I have ever experienced.

You say you have been gone awhile. Go back and do a search and read all the threads and posts, to include those by "Isdunique". He stands behind his product.

If one was to accept all the warnings that are posted on this site, why would anyone buy a "Z"? I don't see Nissan exchanging vehicles because customers have dissatisfaction or are driving vehicles with problems that can't be fixed unless the customer spends $$$.

Last edited by SungNamZ; 05-14-2004 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:27 AM
N74DV

I'm not saying anyone got hosed... and I'm not saying LSD doesn't stand by his product... I know he stands by his products as he has been very helpful to me when he sent something to me that was defective.

I'm saying I said way back when that there would need to be design changes and that he should wait until the design was finalized.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:04 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by N74DV
So were at what... version 3 now?! Jesus. I hate to dog on LSD but damn.... why you wanna put your customers through this?? Do some REAL R&D and release it when it's proven

IMO there shouldn't be 3 versions.
Hmmm... and what version is Crawford up to now? Version 5 if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 05-14-2004 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:11 AM
TheBigShow

they were all cosmetically inspired.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:14 AM
N74DV

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Hmmm... and what version is Crawford up to now? Version 5 if I'm not mistaken.
your point?
Old 05-14-2004, 08:29 AM
ChrisMCagle

your point?
I was simply pointing out that the Crawford is at version 5.
Kinetix is only at version 3.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Ricky
Banned

I got the first Version 3 released and I had no problems what so ever with it. I drive my Z extremely hard as people who know me, knows thats true, and I've had no problems so far. I have about 2k miles on it since install.

Glad I bought it, but I wish it was sanded!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:39 PM
jckolnturn

your point?
Seriously, what's your point? Don't turn this into the pulley witch hunt that ended with you getting owned. You said your piece its been acknowledged and dismissed, now you are dismissed thanks for stopping by, see ya. Stop stirring the pot.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:56 PM
N74DV

hehe.... I guess that's what I do best.

I swear it wasn't me though..... Lor came by and was using my computer... figures he'd hit up my350Z and stirr some commotion.

but do you blame him?? y'all dissed him pretty bad. He was just tryin' to make a buck selling his draws.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:58 PM
jckolnturn

lol, you're outta your mind!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:07 PM
N74DV

Lor just emailed me this.... here's his email to me.

--------------------------

dj,

here is very much specail draw. this man has smile as you see his much horspower kineticks plennuhm. he gets very happy to put this on his 350z car. you can sees a V3 logo on top. i think this plennuhm should have V3 logo and not to show Kineticks logo instead. maybe lsduniqe makes a change so that logo says V3. if he does then this will be vershun 4 so maybe he changes logo and it says V4.

one day I will make much rare plennuhm and sells to 350z peoples. mine plennuhm will makes super more horspowers than kineticks and crawlferd vershuns.

talk to you later dj

LOR

-------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails Kinetix Cracking Poll (Revised, V3 Only)-lor-plenum.gif  
Old 05-14-2004, 08:11 PM
jckolnturn

As strange as it seems that makes sense to me.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:31 AM
N74DV

Default secret plans

word is out that there is another version on the horizon.

from Lor

----------------------------------------------

i make this draw of specail plans. much secret and draw with rare pen. i make this plennuhm so big. biggers things on 350z cars makes more powers. so this plennuhm is much large. has statchoo man thing on top. this man is happy to be on plennuhm. this man thing is make much power on plennuhm. this man thing holds on to inside of hood and keep plennuhm fom making flexing. he keep this plennuhm very much stiff.

i also make this plennum to have super big hole for more air is flow. maybe this secret plennuhm makes extra horsepowers so much that is goes very fast on road.

i only makes one vershun. my vershun 1 is much secret and perfect so not makes more vershuns. but maybe instead of man thing on top i puts a woman thing instead. this be vershun 2 i guess.

i have go now to make more plans for secret horspowers parts for car.

maybe you buy this draw for $15?

-------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails Kinetix Cracking Poll (Revised, V3 Only)-lor-plenum2.gif  
Old 05-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well mine just cracked - was not bad, but was starting to get that way.

At the end of the day, I don't think this plastic is the right material to be used for this particular application. Plastic itself is not bad (my g/f's Infiniti has plastic runners for the intake manifold), but I think the constant heating/cooling is potentially a problem for the plastic at the end of the day.

I think I will be returning mine to them Monday - perhaps I'll change to the Crawford one, if they can get me one of those black chrome ones in time for IAS.

As for arguing over what version they are on.......come on guys, let's act our ages here. If you want to get technical, Nissan is on their 7th "Version" of the Z - if the first one was so good (which it was), why bother improving upon it?

How many versions of Windows have their been?

Unlike these companies above though, Kinetix has ackowledged the faults with their earlier generations, and has, as far as I have seen, not even blinked when a customer informed them about an older gen one cracking, what have you, and have automatically upgraded them to the latest version - show me another aftermarket company that does that?

Also going to do some more research from my tuning buddies in Japan to get their advise, since they have been doing some pretty extensive work on the Z's there as well

Adam
Old 05-16-2004, 08:45 AM
isalvus

i've ran my v3 very hard and don't have any problems with it
i think it is one of the better mods that can be done.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:47 PM
SungNamZ

Z1 Performance, can you describe where it is starting to crack? I am still on V1, but will be installing V3 this week. Going Vortech SC within the next two weeks.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:38 PM
The Sopranos 16

I been thinking about this plenum and reading everyones input. It seems that there are a lot of people out there who don't have any problems with their V3 and there are just a few who have had it crack. The thing is, most people probably haven't had the V3 on for more than a couple thousand miles but I plan on keeping my car for at least another 40-50 thousand miles. If some of these things crack after a couple thousand miles of use then doesn't it stand to reason that many of them will crack after 20+ thousand miles? It just seems impossible to consider the plenum to be reliable for that long of a period. Another seperate thing I was considering is the outside temperature of the plenums that cracked. I would think that very cold temperatures would really increase the chances of a crack, especially when starting the car cold in the morning. I wonder if the few people who have had it crack have had extremely hot or cold temps at the time of the cracking?
Old 05-16-2004, 08:44 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

long term testing will be interesting. there is no way to predict that though, the material could become brittle from long term heat, and temp changes. constant flexing, even tiny amounts.

we dont know what plastic its made of, so no one is in a position to comment on this at all, other then kinetix obviously, but Id assume they choose a material that ages slowly and isnt affected in the applicable temp range.

with that said, isnt it a lifetime warrenty? so if their around in 4 years or whatever long way down the road it cracks, you can always get a replacement, and 4+years per plenum wouldnt be too bad... and if all else fails, you do have your stock plenum; I wouldnt reccomend anyone sell or trash their stock plenum at any point.

Last edited by ares; 05-16-2004 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Kinetix Cracking Poll (Revised, V3 Only)