Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix V4 Plenum Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:57 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by EnthuZiastDrive
I understand what you mean, I always drive with music so I don't hear it. So driving home from work today I turned it off. Mine makes the noise as well whenever I break and when I accelerate from a stop! I might try tightening the strut bar...but I already torqued it to factory specs.

Did you just tighten the strut bar so that the plenum had no clearance and can no longer move upwards and thus no longer "pops" ?
I had a CF engine cover on and then put back on the strut bar. Thats when i got the noise. I then removed both the engine cover and the strut bar and put back the OEM one. I also shaved a little off the plenum side of it for extra clearance of the plenum. I then put the strut bar back on and tightened it back down as tight as i could get it. I was thinking my problem was partly the strut bar and partly the CF engine cover, but i guess not since others are getting the same noise. I say just tighten the strut bar extremely tight.

Zach
Old 07-13-2004, 05:44 AM
hvrod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Loctite 262

I would suggest using Loctite 242 medium strenth
vs Loctite 262 pernament... when installing the Plenumn

see link

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/AL.cfm

http://www.loctite.com.hk/PRODUCTS/262.htm

http://www.loctite.com.hk/PRODUCTS/242.htm
Old 07-13-2004, 12:31 PM
lsdunique

we may switch to the loctite 242 as opposed to the 262.

As far as the sway bar goes, we made it to very tight tolerances to maximize the area under the bar.

What we have noticed through feedback frome of our customers is that adjusting the tension of the bar also adjusts the height above the plenum.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:57 PM
hvrod

Arrow

Good to hear you might switch..

Keep in mind it also has a shelf life...
So buy in small quantities..

Q: Will refrigeration improve the shelf life of Loctite products?

A: The shelf life of Loctite Instant Adhesives will be improved by refrigeration prior to being opened. Refrigeration will have minimal effect on the shelf life of our anaerobic adhesives. Refer to the package labeling for proper storage conditions.

Q: What is the shelf life of Loctite products?

A: Most Loctite products are guaranteed to perform within specification for a period of one year from date of shipment. For specific information on the shelf life of the product, please contact our Customer Service Department.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:39 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by hvrod
Good to hear you might switch..

Keep in mind it also has a shelf life...
So buy in small quantities..
Great info, hvrod!! Thanks for posting it.

-Chris
Old 07-13-2004, 02:17 PM
myz8a4re

chris, ive seen you post how your plenum expands whe you rev the engine. this makes sense to me being a plastic material. when the car is idleing there is heavy vacuum wich i believe would pull the center(softest point) inward. then when you rev the vacuum decreases causing the plenum to go back to its original shape giving an effect thatr is expanding from its original shape.....nothing else makes sense. as the crankcase is pulling air into the motor the plenum couldnt expand outward from inreased internal pressure.......somone correct me if im wrong..........

-justin
Old 07-13-2004, 02:44 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by myz8a4re
chris, ive seen you post how your plenum expands whe you rev the engine. this makes sense to me being a plastic material. when the car is idleing there is heavy vacuum wich i believe would pull the center(softest point) inward. then when you rev the vacuum decreases causing the plenum to go back to its original shape giving an effect thatr is expanding from its original shape.....nothing else makes sense. as the crankcase is pulling air into the motor the plenum couldnt expand outward from inreased internal pressure.......somone correct me if im wrong..........

-justin
Well, I stood in front of the car and my wife started it up. The plenum didn't move at all. That is actually a good sigen because the previous versions did move down a little when the car started. The only time I saw the plenum move was when the engine was revved in which case the plenum moved out rather than in. I would think that if the engine is sucking in the air (instead of having it rammed in via TT or SC) then the plenum should move inward rather than outward which would understandably happen in F/I circumstances. The air is being pulled in, not forced so no matter what, on an N/A car, I would think that the plenum would move in rather than out... but after seeing it with my own eyes, I still don't get it.

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 07-13-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:24 PM
myz8a4re

hmmmm, that is odd chris./ok, another theory: the sides or another portion of the plenum does pull in thus pushing the reinforced top outward. like squezzing a ballon for example. the area you squeeze gets smaller but another part of the ballon gets larger........sound like a possibilty? hehe, these things drive me nuts. there has to be an explanation for everything!

-justin
Old 07-13-2004, 10:18 PM
MonkeyBoy

I have the same thing happen with mine. I have not noticed a "squeezing" effect though. I will look when I start the car tomorrow morning.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:03 AM
ChrisMCagle

One thing that I have heard a couple people suggest is that with the TB closed (car at idle) the plenum is being sucked down. Then when you rev the engin and open the TB, the plenum appears to rise, but it onlu returning to it's normal state? Who knows?!
Old 07-14-2004, 01:21 PM
myz8a4re

One thing that I have heard a couple people suggest is that with the TB closed (car at idle) the plenum is being sucked down. Then when you rev the engin and open the TB, the plenum appears to rise, but it onlu returning to it's normal state? Who knows?!
hehe, thats exactly what i just described the other day a couple posts back!.........
only thing that makes sense really?

-justin