Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

My V4 Plenum ------

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:15 AM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. I just checked mine and it too has that same imperfection. I would not think it was a crack because my car is idling better than it ever has with any of the previous KINETIX plenums.

I'd like to breathe easier but...

I am still confused by the fact that hvrod said that water was "sucked into the plenum"??? Can this be explained?? If it isn't a crack, then the water would most definitely not have done that.

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 07-23-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Wedge

Maybe the water just evaporated. Try a few drops of oil and see if they disappear into the crack.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 PM
barbarumbus

Mine has the same imperfection, so installation is a go for this weekend...
Old 07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe the imperfection goes down into the material, into bubbles in the part? not that, thatd be so great.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:22 PM
lsdunique

Here is my interpretation of the "water ingestion"

We shine up the plenums with armor all before they leave. The plastic does not normally "bead" water, but the armor all does.

When we wipe it down, I think the imperfection does not get its armor all as consistent. Maybe someone can chime in here but in terms of water surface tension, if you were spraying the plenum, it would bead, but the imperfection can break the surface tension of the water beads, causing the water to run through the imperfection, giving the look of "ingestion"
Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by lsdunique
Here is my interpretation of the "water ingestion"

We shine up the plenums with armor all before they leave. The plastic does not normally "bead" water, but the armor all does.

When we wipe it down, I think the imperfection does not get its armor all as consistent. Maybe someone can chime in here but in terms of water surface tension, if you were spraying the plenum, it would bead, but the imperfection can break the surface tension of the water beads, causing the water to run through the imperfection, giving the look of "ingestion"
That's a possible scenario. A good test (which I'll do today) would be to spray water onto the area both with the car running and not running. If the water disappears while the engine is stopped, it's obviously not getting "sucked in". But if it disappears with the car running, and not with it stopped.....

-Chris
Old 07-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Static

I don't think we have anything to worry about. With a crack like that.. the car would be running real bad from the get go.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:14 PM
THX723

I did some test last night and it did NOT ingest any liquid. However, I did discover my bolts were no longer at torque spec ... enough to cause some leaks around the plenum. No need to cause another panic however ... just needed to be torqued back down again. I would highly recommend everyone to retorque their bolt after a week or so.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:56 PM
myz8a4re

i noticed this same very imperfection before i installed my plenum. it is in the exact same location as pictured in this thread. i was worried that it was a crack but when i flipped the plenum over it obviously was not. this area where the imperfection is located is very thick, id say the thickest portion of the plenum. just for giggles after i read this thread & just before i posted now i went to do the water test with the car not runnin, then running to see if i could create a similar senario. since the area is ramped the water pretty much just ran down the slope but some did stay in the largest opening of the imperfection. i hit the location with compressed air & started the engine. once the idle came down i did it again. it looked exactly the same really.........i could see where the depth of a portion of the imperfection could pull in/hold a small amount of water but it doesnt disappear.......i went ahead & tried one last test to prove if pulling in air was a possibility. while the car was running i turned my butane torch on but did not light it. i held the torch head right up to the imperfection, within 1/4" of it & the idle did not change. we all know butane would change the idle drastically, even if only pulling in trace amounts.....i dont recomend anyone doing this, it can be dangerous. my engine was not hot & i have done this several times in the past with previous vehicles when trying to locate vacuum leaks...........im still extremely happy with the qualtiy & results of all my kinetix products!

-justin

Last edited by myz8a4re; 07-23-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:12 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I am still confused by the fact that hvrod said that water was "sucked into the plenum"??? Can this be explained?? If it isn't a crack, then the water would most definitely not have done that.
Someone should start checking the IP origins of some of these posters. ISP based in TN would explain alot!

JK!!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:16 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zxsaint
Someone should start checking the IP origins of some of these posters. ISP based in TN would explain alot!

JK!!
Ouch!
Old 07-23-2004, 04:06 PM
johnnyblaze

Default I have the same imperfection.

very strange mine has a small hairline crack there also, however mine did not bubble or digest any water i put on there, i threw some locktite over it just in case, but even that is still there. Mine is also the same size and diameter.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:18 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took and sprayed some carb cleaner in this area and I didnt notice a change in idle. Im not worried. I have run my car pretty hard since I installed the V4. I ran 6 runs at the local drag strip. I also ran 5 times at an AutoX. I have also had the car up over 125 MPH several times as well and no problems. Im still happy with my plenum.

Zach
Old 07-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Steel Heals

Almost a month since I installed my v4...no problems yet!
Old 07-24-2004, 07:35 AM
xanderm

I have the same exact imperfection and almost uninstalled my plenum. Mines working well, except the strut bar rubs the plenum and sounds terrible at idle and low speeds.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:53 AM
jun14scr

ona side not. i took off my strut bar today, and it was rubbing with the plenum so badly that the paint on the strut bar started to melt off.

anyway, the positives are the car idles smoother, it's not as loud, the car IS smoother when driving, andt he plenum feels stronger. weird. i will be switching to crawford however.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Jetpilot718

Maybe OT, but are you guys able to run these plenums with the stock ECU?? Doesnt it throw code like mad?
Old 07-24-2004, 09:00 AM
fluffydot

Originally posted by Jetpilot718
Maybe OT, but are you guys able to run these plenums with the stock ECU?? Doesnt it throw code like mad?

I have JWT intake, Kintex Hi-Flow Cats and Plenum,
(v4 plenum has been on for about a week) and not one single CEL. everything runs very nicely, thou I notice more of a whistling sound now.

got some really noticable gains on my first drive with the plenum. it really opened things up!

let just hope nothing cracks and everything lasts!
Old 07-24-2004, 12:43 PM
abstrakt

The whistling sound is the air being sucked into the plenum, w/the stock one it cannot be heard b/c of the aluminum...but w/the kinetix one you can hear...sounds like a mini BOV

Quick Reply: My V4 Plenum ------