Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

i joined the kinetix cats vibrating club!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:39 PM
vitaminZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i joined the kinetix cats vibrating club!!!!!!!!!!

well, i was happy to have received my kinetix cats today but i finished the day dejected. the cats went on good other than them being too close to the chassis of my Z. @2200 rpm's i get the dreaded buzz. i am really pissed now. now i have to troubleshoot and see what i can do. if i can't get it fixed after my first attempt, i will return them and reinstall my factory cats and leave it at that.

any advice from you guys out there with the same problem? obviously i will attempt to loosen the bolts adjust the cats as far away as possible from the chassis and retightened the bolts. is there anything else that has worked for any of you guys? in my case, i believe bending the heat shield away will not fix the problem i am almost 100% sure the vibration is against the chassis. so if there is anything else please let me know. thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:12 PM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kinetix High flow cats

Sorry to hear that. Mine initially rattled at the pipe above the cross member since the original cat bracket could not be re-installed w/ the Kinetix cats. The Injen pipes came lower than before. However, I just got some aluminum spacers from Jason at Performance to lower the cross member & that fixed the pipe rattle. I don't have any vibration against the chassis.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:27 PM
vitaminZ

when you say crossmember, you mean the V shaped brace towards the rear of the Z? i'll have to look at that. i have a borla TD, have you noticed from reading threads on this topic if this rattling/vibration problem occurs with a particular brand of exhaust more than others?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:14 PM
jlimquest

Yes, the black V shaped brace. Here's a link to my fix w/ the part numbers:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=84434

PS: GTR emblem on back has been removed.....got a lot of "heat" on it.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 PM
jlimquest

Let me try this link again:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=84434
Old 08-26-2004, 08:28 PM
vitaminZ

thanks for the help! i'll look into the rattle more tomorrow. i'll just put the Z on swing arm lift, lift it up high then get inside and press the gas. in the mean time, I'll have a friend stand underneath and listen and look for the source. once i am sure about cause i hope to fix it.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:48 PM
bascelik

guaranteed vibration against the crossmember . I had an accident and my crossmember was bent upwards and was touching the exhaust and rattle was gone. Now, new crossmember and few spacers later, vibrations are gone. However, I now have creaking... jlimquest, do you have any creaking? If not, what size spacers did Jason use? Mine are definitely creaking.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:09 PM
lsdunique

sorry to hear about your vibration problems.

I recently developed a rattle on our test car, and it was from the car dragging over larger speed bumps.

PM if you have questions and I might be able to help.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:57 AM
BrImSt0ne

Default Kinetix cats fix

I had THE EXACT same issue. Here is a link to what I had to do to fix it. You have to bang back your heat shield. Just read my post in this link and it will explain it.

Kinetix cats fix
Old 08-27-2004, 09:15 AM
04evo2

i have spacers on my crossmember and the heat shield is away. so niether of those are my problems. but as i put the car on jackstands the cat is literally less then a finger width from the chasis. meaning i coulcn't even get my finger in between the cats and chasis. obviously being that close the torgue from the engine will cause it to rub. what i did for a temporary fix is wedge some exhaust wrap in the gap. all that did is dampen the vibration so the sound is minimal but the vibration in the gas pedal is still there. i am going to order some heat wrap blankets and wrap the cats when i install my headers. im guessing it will wedge in there good enough to keep vibration and sound away.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:12 PM
vitaminZ

what a relief!!! it was the crossmember!!! i have it temp fixed for now. i need to add about two more thin washers per bolt. my vibration is minimal right now, but i'm not satisfied with that. i do have some resonation in the heat shield. i can't hear it from inside the car but i can when i'm outside the car. not really worried about that though, it is faint. next time i have it in the air i will mess with it. but everything is good for now!!!!