Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

loss of power and real loud exhaust - any theories

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 09:24 AM
JonathanG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of power and real loud exhaust - any theories

Today I was driving my car and i got real loud (louder than normal) and i have a sense that i have lost power. The car just will not go. My two theories right now are:

1: exhaust components came loose - but that does not explain the loss of power (unless i have no backpressure and that is causing an issue.)

2: one / both of my rt cats collapsed

It is pouring down rain so i have not had a chance to look at it yet but i figured i would see if anyone had any ideas.

The sound comes from the middle of the car where the cat joins the borla exhaust. (see my sig for mods)

Thanks,

J
Old 09-28-2004, 10:44 AM
bwzabodyn

That would be my guess (failed cat) and if not, I would start looking for a (major) exhaust leak first chance you have...
Old 09-28-2004, 10:48 AM
zzzya

Sounds like an exhaust leak which will result in a loss of low end torque.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:55 AM
ChrisMCagle

Well, based on the number of failed RT's it may be that, but I'm not sure if that would make the exhaust louder. I am thinking that it's a leak somewhere.

-CHris
Old 09-28-2004, 12:27 PM
JonathanG35

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Well, based on the number of failed RT's it may be that, but I'm not sure if that would make the exhaust louder. I am thinking that it's a leak somewhere.

-CHris
thanks for the input guys. I am going to try and get under it as soon as it stops raining. No matter what the case, I think it is time to put my clutch and flywheel in so everything may come off anyway.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:12 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by JonathanG35
thanks for the input guys. I am going to try and get under it as soon as it stops raining. No matter what the case, I think it is time to put my clutch and flywheel in so everything may come off anyway.
If I was in your situation, the first thing that I would check would be the cats. If they look good, then just tighen everything else back from there. Good luck.

-Chris
Old 09-29-2004, 05:46 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

How loud, like annoying loud?

Two weeks ago I noticed that at idle my car sounded horrible. It was blatantly obvious that I had an exhaust leak. My Borla TD exhaust has cracked, and now I'm trying to contact borla to order that section of pipe that cracked.

If I were you, I'd turn the car on and do an outside inspection, just listen for a noticeable exhaust leak. If it is cracked or leaking you should hear the seeping pretty noticeably.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:53 AM
JonathanG35

Originally posted by Juztin
How loud, like annoying loud?

Two weeks ago I noticed that at idle my car sounded horrible. It was blatantly obvious that I had an exhaust leak. My Borla TD exhaust has cracked, and now I'm trying to contact borla to order that section of pipe that cracked.

If I were you, I'd turn the car on and do an outside inspection, just listen for a noticeable exhaust leak. If it is cracked or leaking you should hear the seeping pretty noticeably.
I looked yesterday evening and my H pipe had seperated. Probably due to bottoming out on a driveway the day before. An additional consequence of the bottoming out is that something is bent out of shape so my exhaust is rattling against some part of the car. I think i am just going to have my shop fab the parts for me. I am having them do my JWT clutch Fly combo while its there.

thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:09 PM
raptorbh12

the same exact thing happened to me today on my way to work, except i dont even have any cats. my idle is extremly loud now but i havnt noticed a particular loss in power. my car just sounds like an Indy car from 4000 rpms and up, also it backfires more than usual now. my guesses are a severe exhaust leak or something cracked open, please respon and tell me what you think.

BTW i have Helix test pipes...(only exhaust mod)