Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Need Helix test pipe install help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:23 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Helix test pipe install help

I picked up a set of slightly used Helix test pipes on e-bay. The guy who sold them to me said that they used the factory hardware. When I put the car up on jackstands last night @ 11pm to my suprise I found that I would NOT be able to use the factory hardware because the cats use studs and nuts. I'm going to go to the auto parts store today and pick up some nuts and bolts to get these things installed. Any tips or tricks to pulling off the stock cats that I should be aware of??
Old 10-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Need Helix test pipe install help

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I picked up a set of slightly used Helix test pipes on e-bay. The guy who sold them to me said that they used the factory hardware. When I put the car up on jackstands last night @ 11pm to my suprise I found that I would NOT be able to use the factory hardware because the cats use studs and nuts. I'm going to go to the auto parts store today and pick up some nuts and bolts to get these things installed. Any tips or tricks to pulling off the stock cats that I should be aware of??
For the top flanges on the cats, get to it through the engine bay-3 on each side while a buddy holds the bottom nuts....I used like 4 3/8" extensions on the ratchet to reach them. Good luck should take less than an hour...enjoy the mid-range and top-end
Old 10-14-2004, 02:01 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may have to push the OEM Y-pipe back some to get the cats to clear the studs...at least I did with my Borla exhaust. Like Alberto said, have plenty of extensions on hand. Also, IIRC I had to use a univeral joint as well. (tip: If you wrap the univeral joint in electrical tape it won't flop around.) Good luck!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by teh215
You may have to push the OEM Y-pipe back some to get the cats to clear the studs...at least I did with my Borla exhaust. Like Alberto said, have plenty of extensions on hand. Also, IIRC I had to use a univeral joint as well. (tip: If you wrap the univeral joint in electrical tape it won't flop around.) Good luck!!!
Installed....those things were really easy. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:01 PM
350Z-VDC=Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AIR TOOLS!!!! I used an air wratchet and knocked it out in an hour on a lift. Also grab a grinder it will be usefull for triming the heat shielding so that you can get the o2 sensors better.