Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

removal of exhaust pre-silencer??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 01:39 PM
N74DV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removal of exhaust pre-silencer??

any clue as to how the performance might be better or worse or any damaging effects may be cause by removing the small pre-silencing muffler ??
Old 10-29-2002, 03:41 PM
mcclaskz

I don't know, do you have any full size pics of your Z w/ those volk daytonas? are they 19, did you go w/ 8" front and 9" back? or 9" and 10"? what tires as well? thanks
Old 10-29-2002, 03:44 PM
N74DV

I wish they were VOLK Daytona's. They are actually less expensive, heavier replicas made by ADR.

to make a long story short.... I bought them and now am looking to sell them. They aren't exactly the right size for a Z. Need to be wider and have less of an offset....

But until I can sell them I'm rollin' on them.

As I recall though Volk doesn't make the Daytona in a 19"
Old 10-30-2002, 03:36 AM
j's350z

Default Back to original question

I am having a bolt in straight pipe made TODAY to replace the
pre-silencer..I will let you know how it sounds. I don't expect any real HP gains but I think it is going to make the car sound alot better. I have a local shop that always does custom work for me. If it comes out good, I may have a couple produced that I will sell. It would be a direct bolt on piece and should cost around $200..Let me know if you are interested.....

Jason
NJ
jays350z@aol.com
Old 10-30-2002, 10:53 AM
PistolPete

Let us know how it sounds. I love the sound of the engine, but it is much too quiet. I would definetly purchase a straight pipe to bypass the pre muffler or the cats.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:11 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by Armando
I Myself want to do something similiar but take out all my cats. Just run straight through with maybe 1 resonator. But Im not going to do that until it is turbo charged.
Who would you use for your illigel smog certs.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I think it would be great mod to replace the pre-silencer..I would be very interesting to do the mod, if it helps hp and sound!
Old 10-30-2002, 12:54 PM
PistolPete

Who would you use for your illigel smog certs.
No smog certs here in St Louis. We have emissions tests, but it is once every two years. If the Z is as easy as a mustang or camaro, the original cats can be put back in about 2 hours for the test every other year. Pulling the cats out should help out the sound.

Plus all catalytic converters do is store polution, only to release it into the ground after they are junked. People think they magically make pollution go away.

Pollution in ground water is becoming a very disturbing problem. Here in Missouri, there is enough mercury in fish the conservation department recommends children don't eat them. The mercury seeps into the water and is absorbed by the fishes food.

Whatever solution is available, I hope it bolts up to stock parts.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:46 PM
j's350z

Default PRE-SILENCER GONE!!!!!!!

Just got back from the shop. Can't really take the car up to fast since its pouring here in NJ but, It is definately LOUDER. It sounds great. It has a little rasspy sound kinda like a Ferrari, but also a little deeper. Tomorrow when I can get on it with the windows down, I'll let you know how it sounds...If anyone in NJ or in the area wants to get together Sat for a Drive and a look, I'll be around. I also have the JWT intake with heat shield, full new sound system, and the Japan spec clear reflectors.......
Jason
NJ
jays350z@aol.com
Old 10-30-2002, 05:47 PM
AfroCreame

I'am taking my car into the shop tomorrow. Going to go the easy way...cut and weld a pipe in it's place...going to run $20. If it doesn't sound good then I'll just have it re-welded. $200+ for a bolt in pipe is rediculous.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:24 AM
j's350z

I did not remove the cats.....The presilencer is in between the cats and the muffler. My shop made and installed a complete bolt on new straight pipe for $150.00. At anytime, I can unbolt it and bolt on the stock one. I did not not want to do any rigging on my new Z. This new pipe is perfectly bent and shaped like the original...They welded on the flanges and hangers. Looks and sound great......

Jason
NJ
Old 10-31-2002, 04:29 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Jason, two requests.

Picture & Sound!

I would like to see how the clear light cover looks...also, if you have the sound, that would be great!

THanks!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:14 AM
j's350z

Default Pics...

If anyone wants pics, just email with your email address and I'll send them to you this weekend. I will throw it up on a lift this weekend and take pics..I have a crappy camera and computer at home so no way to due sound clips.....

Thanks,
Jason
jays350z@aol.com
Old 11-08-2002, 05:05 AM
AfroCreame

Originally posted by j's350z
I did not remove the cats.....The presilencer is in between the cats and the muffler. My shop made and installed a complete bolt on new straight pipe for $150.00. At anytime, I can unbolt it and bolt on the stock one. I did not not want to do any rigging on my new Z. This new pipe is perfectly bent and shaped like the original...They welded on the flanges and hangers. Looks and sound great......

Jason
NJ
I just had mine replaced with a straight pipe also. I do agree it sounds GREAT! It has a nice sound to it, without being too overdone. I noticed that it sounds better when warmed up..weird.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:50 AM
westpak
SFZCC

How does it sound compared to the clip on stricktlyz.com of the B&B? You wonder if removing this little piece is all that is needed for sound and performance and all you are paying the 900-2000 for the exhaust systems is the shiny muffler and all the gains are in removing the silencer because that is what appears to be what the exhaust systems do is remove the silencer.

Any more info on availabilty and where toget it?
Old 11-08-2002, 06:44 AM
j's350z

Default Afrocreame...

You are right about how it sounds after its warmed up. I don't understand either but some of the pinging noise goes away when its warmed up and sounds alot deeper.....I usually drive easier when it is cold so it doesn't sound like a civic....I love how it sounds when you downshift..Does yours pop and almost backfire???
Jason
NJ
Old 11-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

westpak: it would be funny that all it needs is to remove this little pre-silencer and you will gain the 6-8hp that most exhaust gives you

I think I might go shop around various muffler shops this weekend and have it removed, and weld a straight pipe. If it sounds that good, I will leave it on...

Quick Reply: removal of exhaust pre-silencer??