Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 Seat Fraying Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 07:33 PM
CelticPride2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Seat Fraying Issue...

Quick question for the folks who've dealt with the seat fraying TSB...How have the new seat covers held up since you've had them installed? The dealership put in some new seat covers for me earlier today, and I obviously don't feel like dealing with this issue again 18 months from now.

--CP2
Old 07-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

no problem with the new seat cover.. It has been about 1yr / 15k miles..
Old 07-10-2005, 06:42 AM
CelticPride2

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
no problem with the new seat cover.. It has been about 1yr / 15k miles..
Good Deal...the new covers do feel noticably more durable than the old ones were. I also thought they felt a bit grippier, which is definitely a good thing.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:23 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um, can you describe this seat frying thing?

I want to know what I am seeing is either because it's the way I get out and rubbing on a certain spot all the time or if it's because of this "frying" tsb thing.

And when you say they give you these seat covers... are you saying they put something over the seat instead of replacing the seat with a better leather seat?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:31 AM
CelticPride2

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Um, can you describe this seat frying thing?

I want to know what I am seeing is either because it's the way I get out and rubbing on a certain spot all the time or if it's because of this "frying" tsb thing.

And when you say they give you these seat covers... are you saying they put something over the seat instead of replacing the seat with a better leather seat?
Some people with early-model 350z's have experienced premature wear on the driver's seat. What basically has been happening is that the constant rubbing of the driver's body against the seat when getting in and out of the car has caused the side bolster on the outside edge of the cloth seats to become prematurely worn....this is usually characterized by a "frayed" or "pilled" look on the bolster itself.

Nissan is well aware of this issue and currently has a TSB in place to fix it. The fix involves completely removing the old seat covers (both upper and lower cushion) and replacing them with new covers that are made of a more durable fabric that doesn't wear out in the aformentioned fashion.

For more detailed info, just click on the TSB attachment below. It has an actual photo of the problem I'm describing so you can see if you're affected.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB on seat fraying.pdf (71.3 KB, 508 views)
Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy cow!! That's my issue too! But mine is leather and it's heated!! But the fraying is exactly like the picture!!

Damn, anyone with this frying issue for leather and heated?

Originally Posted by CelticPride2
Some people with early-model 350z's have experienced premature wear on the driver's seat. What basically has been happening is that the constant rubbing of the driver's body against the seat when getting in and out of the car has caused the side bolster on the outside edge of the cloth seats to become prematurely worn....this is usually characterized by a "frayed" or "pilled" look on the bolster itself.

Nissan is well aware of this issue and currently has a TSB in place to fix it. The fix involves completely removing the old seat covers (both upper and lower cushion) and replacing them with new covers that are made of a more durable fabric that doesn't wear out in the aformentioned fashion.

For more detailed info, just click on the TSB attachment below. It has an actual photo of the problem I'm describing so you can see if you're affected.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:24 AM
CelticPride2

Holy cow!! That's my issue too! But mine is leather and it's heated!! But the fraying is exactly like the picture!!

Wow...I've never heard of anybody with leather seats having this problem. I always just assumed it was a cloth seat thing.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:16 AM
DRFT86

**** i didnt know they had a TSB for that!! ima take my car to the dealer tomorrow haha..
Old 07-11-2005, 08:50 AM
dnguyent

I had the TSB done on my '04. The new seat cover built of the same material as my original. Stitching is the same as well, so I'm sure these things will fray within the next 18 months.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

?? leather seats doesn't get frayed.. it might peel off, but not frayed
Old 07-11-2005, 10:27 PM
ironviet

yeah i have the leather and it's about to rip. the wear lines on the side bolsters are about to crack. anyone know if this is something nissan will fix?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 AM
rbaggett1

My driver's side seat (leather) isn't holding up too well on the bolster either. I condition it all the time but still have the same problem.