Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My hood to be painted for the 3rd time

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 07:16 PM
Woody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My hood to be painted for the 3rd time

Ok, I take my CS in to the dealer to fix a paint blemish on the hood that is the size of dime. They tell me they have to paint the entire hood to fix it properly, I said fine. 2 days later the Service Mgr. says he doesn't like the outcome and orders it to be done again. After waiting another two days he calls me to come pick it up. Unfortunately, I have to pick the car up at night, but I am able to notice that there are tremendous swirl marks, bubles, etc. on the hood. I mark on my receipt that the work is unacceptable and wait to call the Serv. Mgr. in the morning. When I looked at the hood for the first time in the day light, the hood is painted a lighter shade of silver than the rest of the car and it has at least 25 areas of over spray at other places other than the hood.

My question is this: Does any one know of a product that will take off light overspray without damaging the original paint? I do not want them painting any more of my car and am afraid that the only way to restore the car to its original condition would be to paint it as well. Has anyone else had problems with the paint formulas matching up to surrounding areas?
Old 12-08-2002, 07:27 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you got screwed here. time to take this up a few levels. your whole car should be stripped and repainted at this point, or atleast your whole front end. and it needs to be done by a reputable shop, perferably a exotic car dealer. but then you will take a hit in value for having a repainted car....

Id get on the phone with NNA in california ASAP, do it in the dealer if you can, so you can have the MANAGER there to go over things if they need information. personally, Id be looking to get a new car, or for them to buy this one back.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:11 AM
MEfreak

I've had good luck removing *light* overspray (more felt as a surface roughness than actually seen) with a clay bar (on a freshly waxed car, though). I doubt stripping the whole car is necessary. A good body shop will be able to advise you on this.

Take it to a reputable body shop this time. You've given the dealer enough chances to get it right.

Edit: someone in the detailing forum may be able to help with your overspray problem...

Last edited by MEfreak; 12-09-2002 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:13 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I second the clay bar motion. I've had to even clay bar windows to get overspray off a car, but it works if it isn't too bad.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:08 AM
Woody

Thanks, for the help. I've demanded a new hood if this 3rd time doesn't do the trick, but a replacement hood comes to the dealer unpainted which means I'll be right back to square one. I guess we'll see what the dealer is made of after I speak with him today.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:16 AM
rahilio

whats the dealership name?
Old 12-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Woody

Fischer Nissan in Titusville, Fl
Old 12-09-2002, 06:45 PM
Bazazu

Default not as easy as it seems

matching paint is not that easy

There is 2 sides to it I guess....

1: normal paint - yes its pretty easy. If you have a solid color, you should be fine (normal blues, reds, blacks, whites, etc)

2: Any color that has a metallic or metal flake in it, is near impossible to "match" with the original paint.(explained below)

I recently was rear ended and they had to order a new rear bumper. The paint did not match, period. The wierd thing was, on a perfectly sunny day, in the right light, it DID match, but if you were in the shade, it was most definitly noticible to anyone (had many comments from co-workers)

Seeing as he has a chrome silver, I'm guessing thats the problem. The paint does match, but they can't get the metal flake to lay properly - if the metal flake is laying a different direction, it reflects light differently, and will make the paint appear lighter or darker. Obviously severity will depend on how much metal flake there is (or a mettalic look)