Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bose Stereo: Left Side Speakers Random On & Off

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:17 AM
mikead_99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahahaha. Laughing with you guys, not at you. My 03 Maxima Bose would do this, cut out the left side while playing CDs only. A sharp jab in the face of the Bose unit would bring it back, but what a PITA. This is a big reason why I got a model with no Bose. Hopefully you can all get the dealer to resolve, if not you can either replace it with aftermarket, or be prepared to jack your head unit up frequently....but this will make other drivers look at you funny.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:07 AM
scharbj

I had the same problem last fall with my '03. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the HU. Basically, it seems to be that the circuitry was not properly sealed during manufacturing and was susceptible to moisture causing short circuits in the CD hardware. The new HU's that Nissan are replacing with, have been fixed so there shouldn't be any problems with the new ones. Although I have one of the new ones, I am probably still going to replace it with an aftermarket one.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:20 AM
tripndesi

Default left speaker out

guys,

i am having the same problem as well. the left side speaker(s)? does not produce any sound and if it does it is REALLY muffled. I took it to the dealership and they are replacing the speaker. Lets see if this works out. If not the car is going back to the dealership.

Is clicking of the axel covered under warranty? (gold package)
mark
Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 AM
joegengsta

mine did this, left side cut in and out... then sometimes static.. took it into the dealer (warrenty ftw) and they replaced the headunit, and walaaa!! no problems again. i think it's internal amp blew
Old 01-23-2007, 07:58 AM
black350

All i have to say is after taking your car to the dealership make sure not to move away from it lol. I was living in california when i had that retarded speaker problem fixed (they changed out my head unit) and everything was fine. now im in virginia and the problem came back, i took it to the dealership and they would not help me because "another dealership worked on it"...its not like it took it to a f*ckn ford dealership and changed my head unit with a mustang's.

I forgot to mention ive already had two other headunit changes:

First Unit: tape deck would not let cassette out (i was wondering if it would even work, and it didnt), and it would also skip in the cold.

Second Unit: Skipped in the cold

Third (current) Unit: Left side dead, skips in cold.

These units suck.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM
davewo

Originally Posted by tripndesi
guys,

i am having the same problem as well. the left side speaker(s)? does not produce any sound and if it does it is REALLY muffled. I took it to the dealership and they are replacing the speaker. Lets see if this works out. If not the car is going back to the dealership.

Is clicking of the axel covered under warranty? (gold package)
mark
My left speaker volume goes down ONLY when the CD is playing so I'm not sure if changing the speaker will work.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:20 PM
rsmokinjoe

I work in car audio and one thing stands true... BOSE blows! Just replace it all. New headunit and speakers. You have to bypass the amp in the trunk but it is well worth it. GM, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Infiniti and anything else with BOSE always has problems.. Just get rid of it...
Old 02-09-2007, 12:46 PM
nadir

My '04 G35 sedan has this problem. It happened again last nite and I was hoping to take it to the dealership today but the damn thing started working fine again ...

I"m going to drop by later today anyways and talk to them about it. I'm hoping they know of htis issue but doubt they'll ever admit it until i bring in the POS w/ the speakers not working.

I'm at 48.5k too .. i have a feeling this thing is goin to totally crap out on me at 60k
Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Tekwon-V
the left side (the "big" door speaker and the tweeter) would go out, but not completely. when this happens, i put the balance all the way to the left (to check) and the sound barely comes out and the sound is horrible... almost like a blown speaker. it's like a cellphone reception breaking up real bad.

and later in the day, it will randomly work fine. so it cant be a blown speaker. when it works, it works great (for a bose anyway )

and it never goes out WHILE i am listening. it's "determined" when i turn on the stereo.

so i am thinking it's a bad connection or the headunit itself. i want to try to fix it myself before taking it to the dealer because 1. it will probably work fine if i take it in with an appointment, 2. want to save time.

anybody have a good advice/experience?
+1 - bad head unit - had mine replaced under warranty about a year ago on my '04 Coupe 6MT
Old 03-21-2007, 04:37 PM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another BOSE left side out VICTIM?

I did a search on BOSE and see that many have had the left side channel lost. I just started experiencing this issue. I've got a 2003 Z so I assume my warranty won't cover this problem? Anyone else replace the head unit on their own nickel? What does it cost to have a dealer replace the head unit?

Thanks....

(this really stinks!....)
Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

mine does this too.. i remember the service manager telling me some time ago there is a recall on the amp... i am going to just use this as an excuse to upgrade my whole system
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
doug

hope this may help those out of warranty

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB03-086.htm
Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 AM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB on amp change...

I've had the amp change under that TSB. It does not address losing the left channel. That amp was aimed at all the complaints that the BOSE system was terrible and not delivering what buyers expected. So they came out with a "customer satisfaction" TSB. It improves the sound quality slightly but the system is still terrible and not worth what I spent...
Old 03-22-2007, 05:07 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by doug
mine does this too.. i remember the service manager telling me some time ago there is a recall on the amp... i am going to just use this as an excuse to upgrade my whole system
just watch out for the speaker specs - 2 ohms, search elsewhere, there are some gotchas to replacement unless you do HU and all speakers, too.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by doug
Agreed, just have to take it in steps unless you want to replace everything at once, and spend some serious cash not only on components but labor - the wiring is a real bear (check it out in the FSM, it is ungodly complex for a stereo - you can find a PDF file on www.*********.com).

The Killer Link for this question - this is what I meant by "when you upgrade, there are some gotchas" -

posted by toykilla on www.*********.com:

If you want to keep your Bose Headunit and replace the amp and speakers, you need this:
http://www.pac-audio.com/oem1kits/ao...or+AOEM-1+kits

If you want to change you Bose headunit and keep your stock amp and speakers, you need this:
http://www.pac-audio.com/oem1kits/ro...or+ROEM-1+kits

You cannot change your speakers and keep the stock amp.

You cannot change the stock amp and keep the stock speakers.

You cannot change the headunit without the above adaptor.

http://www.*********.com/forums/inde...howtopic=12882

Personally if I am Out of Warranty and my HU goes, I would take that as an opportunity to start moving the system away from really expensive and proprietary components. Just my 2 cents...sooner or later the HU's will only be available dealer special order or from a boneyard, not cool.

At least if you go the adapter route, you can start with a good HU, upgrade components as you go. One of the dumbest threads I have seen is how to upgrade the system with $1000 of Infinity (Kappa) speakers that are compatible with the system. The HU is clearly the weak link.

If you search that thread you may also find links to face plate adapters for a double-DIN dash kit made for your car.

Not sure but just a guess the dealer will ask $500 if not more like $800 for the BOSE HU. Unless it was down around $200 I would not even consider replacing it out of warranty.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
SteveZ

well now that is RUDE - I guess our forum does not like competition -

just type w+w+w+.+3+5+0+z+-+tech+.+com and drop all the plus signs

;-)
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 AM
webdk

Ok.. I have the same problem.. The left speakers go in and out when i speed up/slow down and on rough turns. I went to dealership (had clicking sounds in rear axils $220 to lubricate it GRR!!)... So after fixing that i Inquired about the sound drops. He basically said same thing.. Replace HU.. $1700.. There was a guy who drove in also on a 350Z waiting to fix the same problem (HU replacement - he had aftermarked warranty).. My warranty expired .. I do have Preowned secuirty Plus extended warraty, but service ppl told me it doesnt cover it... . So what are my options guys? Besides HU replacement is there anything that can be done? it almost feels like a loose wire issue or something that keeps going in and out..... Any info appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
mthreat

I'd just buy a used one (go to a car stereo shop, they probably have 10 of them sitting there.. be sure it will work in your Z, they may vary slightly over the years). Also a used one may have the same problem you're facing now anyway

Or just replace it with an aftermarket one...
Old 03-28-2007, 04:19 PM
doug

Originally Posted by SteveZ
just watch out for the speaker specs - 2 ohms, search elsewhere, there are some gotchas to replacement unless you do HU and all speakers, too.

the whole nine... HU, Door Components, Sub, Amps.. everything stock is coming out
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM
doug

Originally Posted by webdk
Ok.. I have the same problem.. The left speakers go in and out when i speed up/slow down and on rough turns. I went to dealership (had clicking sounds in rear axils $220 to lubricate it GRR!!)... So after fixing that i Inquired about the sound drops. He basically said same thing.. Replace HU.. $1700.. There was a guy who drove in also on a 350Z waiting to fix the same problem (HU replacement - he had aftermarked warranty).. My warranty expired .. I do have Preowned secuirty Plus extended warraty, but service ppl told me it doesnt cover it... . So what are my options guys? Besides HU replacement is there anything that can be done? it almost feels like a loose wire issue or something that keeps going in and out..... Any info appreciate it.
i have my extended warranty, but i don't care..i had it with bose

Quick Reply: Bose Stereo: Left Side Speakers Random On & Off