Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bose Stereo: Left Side Speakers Random On & Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Tekwon-V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Stereo: Left Side Speakers Random On & Off

the left side (the "big" door speaker and the tweeter) would go out, but not completely. when this happens, i put the balance all the way to the left (to check) and the sound barely comes out and the sound is horrible... almost like a blown speaker. it's like a cellphone reception breaking up real bad.

and later in the day, it will randomly work fine. so it cant be a blown speaker. when it works, it works great (for a bose anyway )

and it never goes out WHILE i am listening. it's "determined" when i turn on the stereo.

so i am thinking it's a bad connection or the headunit itself. i want to try to fix it myself before taking it to the dealer because 1. it will probably work fine if i take it in with an appointment, 2. want to save time.

anybody have a good advice/experience?

Last edited by Tekwon-V; 07-23-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 PM
rbaggett1

Hey Tekwon-V,

I took in my car earlier today because of a handful of issues, but one of them happened to be this as well. My CDs would sound really bad and muddy. Almost like the treble was way low. Sometimes the audio was really weak from the left channel like you mentioned earlier. Sometimes the stereo would work fine, sometimes it wouldn't. It really got on my nerves.

They replaced out my headunit and everything is good to go. I originally thought it was a loose connector as well, but I was sitting at a red light and bam; the volume got really loud.

You might just have to replace it out like me. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:18 PM
the7ferret

short
or
bad headunit
Old 07-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Tekwon-V

oh ok. so i guess it is the headunit then. shoot, i guess i will call the dealer first thing on monday. sigh.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:13 AM
rbaggett1

Originally Posted by the7ferret
short
or
bad headunit
Bad headunit so far, but I only had the car back for a day. So I'll know in a week after sometime with the car.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:01 PM
rbaggett1

My new headunit seems to be holding up pretty good ever since it was replaced.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:25 AM
BriA5

I've been having the same problem for the last two weeks or so.

I guess I will have to call the dealer. Do you think I will be able to convice them to order me a new HU over the phone? or will I have to waste two days for this (one to check it out and one to make the swap once the HU comes in).
Old 07-29-2005, 12:03 PM
rbaggett1

I guess it all depends on your dealership. They know there is an issue with these stereos since it's happened before with other customers. I had the car in for some other issues and they just quickly tested it. I guess when this falls out of warranty, I'll be in the market to replace everything out (that's audio related).
Old 08-14-2005, 09:08 AM
rbaggett1

Darn it. I'm getting the same condition you had Tekwon-V. The left channels sound like bad cell phone reception. So even with a replaced headunit, I'm having problems again. I'll drop it off Monday.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:42 PM
rbaggett1

I talked to the service advisor this morning and he mentioned that I should get a CD Player Lens Cleaner to fix this problem. I'll pick that up tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:10 PM
barthelb
Master

Hmm I'll try that. I have this problem as well. I got fed up on Sat and went to the dealer and scheduled a service on Thrs.
I also have an intermittent problem with the drivers seat back power switch.
The axles click as well. All those need is to be taken off. Re-greased with another grease and re-torqued.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
rbaggett1

My rear axle is clicking as well. I took it in to get it worked on but am not sure if they did it or not. I had it in there for some other work as well.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:58 AM
jonghj

I have exactly the same problem. Bose, left speaker!!! with radio on all speakers works fine, but with cd on left side speakers are retarded. this headunit randomly does that.
Also I did the lens cleaning!! it didn't work!!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:33 AM
rbaggett1

I went ahead and got the lens cleaner a couple days ago. It didn't seem to work. It seems to randomly drop the left channel (almost like loose wiring). Also when I was listening to the CDs, my little speaker right the side mirror doesn't seem like it's even hooked up on the left side. The right side is perfectly fine. Go figure.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:35 PM
reptile718

I know this is an old thread but I could not find any other info on this problem. It just happened to me today, driving down the road and bam left side went out. In radio mode everything was fine. I figured out that when I hit the drivers of the center console the sound comes back but only until I change the disc or turn the system off then it goes back to that faded blurry sound. Did you guys ever figure out what the problem was? I am thinking loose connector either in the outside of the bose unit or inside, maybe some ribbon inside got pinched or melted Any suggestions would help, thanks!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Tekwon-V

it's DEFINATELY the head unit. they label it under "internal problems" and replace your head unit.

they replace it with a refurbished unit, so make sure you are happy with the new/replacement one... like on the display "screen", make sure you dont have scratches. mine did and i asked for a different one.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:37 AM
alnfong

I've replaced my head-unit 3 f**king times.And i finally got a good one(with no problem at all.)
Old 07-26-2006, 12:04 PM
woo_z

I had this problem a few weeks ago. While listening to a CD, the left side speakers just died. If I switched to radio, it worked fine. Someone mentioned it was a bad amplifier. My Z is out of warranty, so that blows.

In any case, about a week later, the sound mysteriously came back on, and it's been fine ever since.

p.s. I hate to say it - I traded my Z in. This is my last week with it. I'll miss it, but I'm sick of the problems.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

i HAVE THIS PROBLEM TOO! But Nissan is replacing my left speaker tomorrow under warranty...
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
davewo

Default Bose left speaker going out

Originally Posted by jonghj
I have exactly the same problem. Bose, left speaker!!! with radio on all speakers works fine, but with cd on left side speakers are retarded. this headunit randomly does that.
Also I did the lens cleaning!! it didn't work!!
Having exact same problem on my 2004 roadster. Did replacing only the left speaker work?

Quick Reply: Bose Stereo: Left Side Speakers Random On & Off