Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

crappy brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 07:27 AM
mpol99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry crappy brakes

my brakes squeek, damn it. At first it was only when it was cold in the morning (no big deal, its normal). But now its starting to **** me off. They squeek waaaay too much now. Anyone have this problem? Anything I can do, some grease crap I can use, or anything? Thanks
Marcin
Old 12-09-2002, 07:30 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have track? we've heard of that alot.

otherwise, you may have glazed your brakes, hard to say. best bet would be to bring it in to nissan, if you bring it anywhere else your gaurenteed theyll find a problem.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:31 AM
DrDrilZ

Last edited by DrDrilZ; 12-09-2002 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:34 AM
DrDrilZ

looks like he had a performance Z. cant complain about my brakes!
by the way, if they make noise when you brake, thats a problems between your rotor and pad, and thats the last place you would want to grease.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:42 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by DrDrilZ
looks like he had a performance Z. cant complain about my brakes!
I must have missed something here. I don't think he has said that he has the Performance model.......

WayneTN
Old 12-09-2002, 07:44 AM
BrainStorm

Originally posted by WayneTN
I must have missed something here. I don't think he has said that he has the Performance model.......

WayneTN
It says so under his user name.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:52 AM
mpol99

Yup, Performance Z. I meant to say de-grease, brake cleaner stuff. But yeah, I think its better to just take it to Nissan, just because its free & I don't have to get my hands dirty, haha.

Marcin
Old 12-09-2002, 07:54 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by BrainStorm
It says so under his user name.
I told you I missed something...........
Old 12-09-2002, 08:07 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you change pads you actually put some goop on the back side of the pad to keep it from squeeking. you couldnt do that now tho, it should have already been done, now its squeeking for another reason.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:39 AM
nosuchsol

crappy != squeeky

Bear with it until you need to buy some new brake pads and pick up some that have minimum noise.. I know the Green Stuff or Yellow Stuff are pretty quiet, but not sure if they are for the 350Z. It's one of those... grrrrr...
Old 12-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Electro Z

Default okay... diff vehicle but maybe the prob...

I have a dodge ram.. first set of breaks were great.. Went to Midas and had replacements installed.. they squeeked and scraped all the time... took it back.. again and again and again.. Then they hit the wear point and screamed.. took it to Midas cause they were lifetime replace.. they did the breaks and did the bushings.. little ring like pieces... NO NOISE AT ALL... so,..

Take her back to Nissan and have them check it out....

EZ
Old 12-12-2002, 07:24 PM
GSRto350Z

Angry Mine squeek also...

...and it is pissing me off. I took it to Nissan and then the stopped squeeking. So they just said they'll add more stuff on the pads to help. But, they still squeek. It is really starting to annoy me.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:01 PM
grebmohr

The following post contains details on brake repair. You should attemp brake repair only if you have experience in that area. The advice given here, by me, should in no way be used in contradiction with the factory approved service procedures. Use my techniques at your own risk.

But they do work.

My touring started to squeal at 400 miles. I am living with it as it is very infrequent and only at very low speed.

The reason that brakes squeek is that brake dust gets into the areas that are supposed to be dampened by shims, spacers and springs. This dust causes the pads to chatter on the rotor creating a resonance that is the squeel.

Glazed rotors can also cause squeel but not as frequently as dust.
To find out if it is glaze-- remove the rotors and ask a brake shop to put a non-directional finish on them. Do not cut them in the lathe, just put the cross-hatch finish on them. go easy as you will need to break them in again. if no squeel then you got it.

Other wise remove all pads, shims, springs and clips.
Scrub them with a light brush and brake cleaner then reassemble everything with a very thin coat on Syl-glide or other brake lube in the following places.

1 on both side of shims.
2 in caliper recess that holds clips and pads.
3 in the recess of the clip you just put in the above recess.
4 on the pins of the sliding caliper.

In over 200-250 brake jobs I have done- I have only had three come-backs and they were not for squeel. bad rotor, faulty hose and a stuck caliper.

Never allow lube to contact brake facing or rotors. If you do not understand what I have explained, above, then take your car to Nissan- let them deal with it.

Last edited by grebmohr; 01-15-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:55 AM
s9am_me

ditto on the squeaking. Only 960 miles in it so far Well.. maybe its been squeaking.. i just noticed it after reading this read
Old 01-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Gendo Ikari

I get the squeeking. It happens...maybe 1 out of 5 times I drive the car...and it will only squeek when I am slowing down to a stop from low speeds. At first I thought it only happened when it was real cold...but its been a tad warmer (high 30s low 40s) and I can hear it occasionally. I have 500 miles and mine is a Performance model.

Anyone get any resolution on this?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:39 PM
CottonWoodz

Squeeking here too.. Touring model 2800 miles, sounds like its the back drivers side that is squeeking.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 AM
SnowmotionZ

Default brake squeekers

Originally Posted by mpol99
my brakes squeek, damn it. At first it was only when it was cold in the morning (no big deal, its normal). But now its starting to **** me off. They squeek waaaay too much now. Anyone have this problem? Anything I can do, some grease crap I can use, or anything? Thanks
Marcin
It is most likely your pad seniors that is making that noise due to thinning pads,
the pads has a metal strip when the brake pad wear passes that metal strip the metal strip starts digging into the rotor disc therefore makes that high pitch noise. "time to service your pads"

PS the Nissan DEALERS will charge you an arm and a leg!!!

I am not a mechanic but I was willing to learn so I did next to a friend that is a certified mechanic and schooled me on how the brake system works and how to change the rotors. I have my Z for 6 years now and I change all the rotors and pads to a performance version with vented rotors and ceramics pads like the porches uses and only cost me $530.00 I got a quote from the dealers and it was almost 2 grand... no thanks

If you are not into performance you can just resurface your rotors if possible; due to wear safety some places might not resurface rotors, you can get it done at pepboys to save more instead of buy whole sets of rotors. resurfacing your rotors greatly restore surface grip between all pads and rotors.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Hokie350Z

Buy some Girodisc brake pads - they make them for the non-brembo brakes and they are freaking amazing
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowmotionZ
It is most likely your pad seniors that is making that noise due to thinning pads,
the pads has a metal strip when the brake pad wear passes that metal strip the metal strip starts digging into the rotor disc therefore makes that high pitch noise. "time to service your pads"

PS the Nissan DEALERS will charge you an arm and a leg!!!

I am not a mechanic but I was willing to learn so I did next to a friend that is a certified mechanic and schooled me on how the brake system works and how to change the rotors. I have my Z for 6 years now and I change all the rotors and pads to a performance version with vented rotors and ceramics pads like the porches uses and only cost me $530.00 I got a quote from the dealers and it was almost 2 grand... no thanks

If you are not into performance you can just resurface your rotors if possible; due to wear safety some places might not resurface rotors, you can get it done at pepboys to save more instead of buy whole sets of rotors. resurfacing your rotors greatly restore surface grip between all pads and rotors.

Did you just answer a question from 2002? FAIL.

Quick Reply: crappy brakes