Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Philosophies on Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 09:37 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Philosophies on Downshifting

First of all, I am referring to downshifting to aid in slowing the car down as you are coming to a stop under normal driving conditions as opposed to downshifting while performance driving where one downshifts and maintains or increases the current speed. Back in the day, when my Father was teaching me to drive a stick, I was taught that as you are coming to a stop, it's best to downshift and let the engine slow you down, thereby reducing brake wear. The lessons stuck, and I've always done it; if I'm driving leisurely and am approaching a stop sign or light, I will shift from 5th to 4th (current car), let the engine pull my speed down, then from 4th to 3rd and so on, using the brakes only near the end as I'm about to stop. By this time I have shifted down to 2nd gear and let the engine do most of the work. It occurs to me now that I'm about to buy one of my dream cars, that I've never really gotten anyone elses opinion of this practice and I start to wonder if my Dad's philosophy wasn't a little backwards. Would it not be better to use the brakes, with relatively cheap and easy to replace components rather than cause more wear on the clutch and engine? You don't do this with an automatic transmission, so I have to wonder. What is better for the car? Does it really hurt anything or promote more wear? What about doing it while during break-in? I'd like to know everyones thoughts on this.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:18 AM
jelledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup- you have a bad habit

Brakes are for stopping. All that extra shifting and clutch wear will eventually catch up to your tranny and clutch down the road. Every time you shift (especially downshifting) the clutch slips against the flywheel and wears. The less the clutch slips the longer it will last.

Use your brakes for stopping --- brake pads are cheap. Replacing a clutch is big dollars.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:31 AM
MustGoFastR

Oh, God, have I been ruined? Do I need therapy? At least I have a couple months or so to change my driving habits before I get my Z. Thanks. Any other input?
Old 12-10-2002, 10:34 AM
zPilott

When this thread has shown up before, i think the general opinion is that it is better for your car to use the brakes, because, like you said, the brakes are easy and relatively easy to replace, compared to the clutch (not to mention the extra wear and tear on your engine and drivetrain). But, of course, people still chosse to downshift (myself included, occasionally) because it is kind a fun, and sounds cool, it works, and also, because you could, in an emergency situation, accelerate faster if you were to need it.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:08 AM
ScottC

Man this is a tough one because I like to downshift and have a habit of doing it. How long do you really think it takes to wear out a transmission? If its in the 6+ year range...I think its okay. Breaks are chep though. Aghhh
Old 12-12-2002, 05:11 PM
cligedy

There's actually a pretty simple solution to this. What you are doing is sometimes called "engine braking". You are letting the friction inside the engine do the same work the brakes normally do. Not a big deal. I do it all the time. But downshifting four times per stop is excessive and does put nominal wear on the drivetrain. The easiest way to get the benefits of both is to simply stay in whatever gear you were running, coast to slow, and depress the clutch whenever the tach indicates that the rev's are near to idle. The higher gears won't slow you as quickly as the lower gears, but the effect is similar.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:52 AM
zeeing

I have owned only MT vehicles for thirty years and driven some of those vehicles for up to 150000 miles, yet have never replaced or repaired a clutch or transmission while consistently downshifting under must circumstances. My conclusion then, is that although there is no doubt that this technique may cause some nominal wear and tear to some parts of the drive system, the fun, satisfaction, and control specially in spirited driving situations is more than worse the price, if you are doing it right.

Just my $.02.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:53 AM
Flyingscot

I've been doing the downshift and engine braking thing for 140,000 miles on my other Nissan. My clutch pressure plate is finally going, but, the clutch plate itself is still good. I wouldn't change your habits based solely on the fear that it will screw up the car.

However, two things I do religiously to extend tranny life:

1) always let both the engine and tranny warm up before letting loose.
2) never keep my foot on the clutch while at stop lights etc.

However, when at the track, I always heel and toe. Using engine braking at the track WILL kill your clutch and/or tranny.

Fly
Old 12-14-2002, 08:26 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Needed a little updating myself on this issue. Appreciate both the question & answers.