Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:36 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

took me about 20 minutes to disassemble the door and motor and clean and reinstall everything straight. When my passenger door goes out someday, I'm not quite so worried anymore, now that I know how to repair it perfectly!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:58 AM
xStriderx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please explain to me how to remove the door panel. I don't want to break anything in my car especially in the inside because I THOUGHT I knew how to remove it.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Integrity
Banned

EDIT - A very detailed walk through for cleaning your motors can be found here -> https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/361241-how-to-repair-stuck-broken-window-motor.html

Originally Posted by xStriderx
Can someone please explain to me how to remove the door panel. I don't want to break anything in my car especially in the inside because I THOUGHT I knew how to remove it.
I can get you started, but hopefully someone else will be able to pick up where I left off. I started doing this repair today on my driver's side door. Wasn't too hard. I was pausing to take pictures alot to document this for everyone else, but it started to rain. I had to hurry up and finish so I could not do a proper step by step pictorial.

Step one. Locate the plastic cover piece in the middle of the door handle and remove it with a small flat head screwdriver or scribe.

Step two. Remove the screw underneath using a philips head screwdriver.

Step three. Gently pull up on the left side of the switch panel. Disconnect the window switches and side mirror controls at the harnesses, then remove the two phillips head screws that are revealed by removing the switch panel. There is also a third screw behind the door handle. Simply pry up on the left side of the plastic piece that sits directly behind the door handle, and this will reveal the screw.

Step four. Now simply pull gently on the left side, right side, and bottom of the door panel. The fasteners should give way and you should be able to lift up on the door panel and lay it off to the side. (I did not disconnect the cables for the door handles.)

This will reveal the inner door panel which will have to be removed next.

There are (12) 10mm bolts holding the inner door panel on - Red circles.

There are (2) 10mm bolts and (2) 12mm nuts holding the window tracks to the door panel - Yellow circles.

And there are (3) 10mm bolts/philips head screws holding the window motor to the door panel - Green circles.

Step Five. The window motor can be seperated from the cable spindel by removing the three philips head screws. (No picture)

Step Six. Remove the brush assembly out of the motor by removing three small philips head screws.

Step Seven. Clean the black carbon crap out of the motor and reassemble. Here's a pic after I cleaned it using rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

Hope this helps. This is far from a thorough how-to guide, but it may help some of you. If anyone else feels they can add something, by all means, please share. Just quote my post and add in whatever hints, steps, or pictures you may have.

EDIT - Thanks to IZMYZ for catching the step that I missed.

Last edited by Integrity; 05-22-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:00 AM
xStriderx

Integrity: Thanks a lot man! That was very helpful!

Busted this whole thing about in about 1 hour. Got my motor to start working again. Hardest part though was putting everything back on together again. Other then that piece of cake.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Integrity
Banned

No problem man! Glad I could help.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:04 PM
06Firebase

Smile

Ditto that, Integrity!

Thank you very much!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm im going to try this, since my passanger window motor is bugging out now and im passed my warranty. Dont fell like dumping 300 for a fix right now.

Question, do you remove all the bolts from the metal door panel, Like the Red, yellow and green circles? Or just remove the red circled bolts?

Last edited by james840a; 07-12-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:26 PM
kj301

James, take all of the circled bolts out to get access to the motor assembly. On another note I had my door apart today and seemed to do what jinsei888 did the first time you took it apart. Cleaned out only the cover and bushes put it back to together and then 5 or 6 window working laster it crapped out again. Question how do I take the coil out like in the picture in step 7. Is there a screw or do I just pull it out? I will take it apart again this week. I hope I can fix it.
Thanks
KJ
Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 AM
xStriderx

I thought this might be helpful for those looking for motors since theirs crapped out. Found it cheaper on the Z store. $189.99

Window Motors
Old 07-19-2006, 03:36 AM
Jcolman

Does anyone have the link to the window calibration thread mentioned in the second post??? Oh, and a huge thanks to Ingegrety for the excellent post on repairing the motor. Mine just quit and instead of paying the dealer $500+ to fix it I'm going to tackle the job myself.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

when does the warranty end of window repairs? 30k or 60k?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by HOMiEZ
when does the warranty end of window repairs? 30k or 60k?
30K. Only the powertrain is covered after that.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:22 PM
fonzy

You know what guys? I have the same problem, my driver side window just won't do nothing at times. I think that my problem is the switch because as soon as i bang it it starts working fine again, I already took it apart but cant seem to find the motive of the switch going bad. Maybe it got wet. At least it's cheaper than the motor.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:22 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fonzy
You know what guys? I have the same problem, my driver side window just won't do nothing at times. I think that my problem is the switch because as soon as i bang it it starts working fine again, I already took it apart but cant seem to find the motive of the switch going bad. Maybe it got wet. At least it's cheaper than the motor.
it's the motor, you need to clean inside the motor, there is a TON of carbon buildup in there short circuiting, thats why it works when you bang it; same symptoms i had, take it appart again and get a cotton swab and start cleaning,
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

dude i can't believe i have a 30k japanese car that the windows stops working at 46k miles.... this is embrassing
Old 07-27-2006, 03:32 PM
lostlegend

Dang you Integrity! LOL

I read this thread a couple of months back when my window started acting up. Well I just now took about an hour did what you described above! Not reading the forums first and pretty much doing it blind. I was going to post the pics I took and everything. =D But you beat me to it!

But! I will still make a tutorial and get it posted up on my website. I will prolly end up using some of your pictures but I will link to this thread and mention your name!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
lostlegend

Originally Posted by fonzy
Hey Fonzy, I thought the same thing at first when my window started acting up. But without a doubt it is the motor.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
lostlegend

Smile

Originally Posted by kj301
James, take all of the circled bolts out to get access to the motor assembly. On another note I had my door apart today and seemed to do what jinsei888 did the first time you took it apart. Cleaned out only the cover and bushes put it back to together and then 5 or 6 window working laster it crapped out again. Question how do I take the coil out like in the picture in step 7. Is there a screw or do I just pull it out? I will take it apart again this week. I hope I can fix it.
Thanks
KJ
On the other end of the coil is a screw. This is actually what drives the pullies and cable system. Just turn it counter-clockwise if I remember right and it will come out. Just clean all of the black dust crap off of it and also down in the motor casing as described. When you put it back together it should work just fine. At least thats what happened with mine.

I dont know about the calibration that has been mentioned. I haven't read that thread yet, but I didn't need to do it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by lostlegend; 07-27-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by lostlegend
Dang you Integrity! LOL

I read this thread a couple of months back when my window started acting up. Well I just now took about an hour did what you described above! Not reading the forums first and pretty much doing it blind. I was going to post the pics I took and everything. =D But you beat me to it!

But! I will still make a tutorial and get it posted up on my website. I will prolly end up using some of your pictures but I will link to this thread and mention your name!
LOL, I'm looking forward to seeing your write up. You are welcome to use any of the pictures I posted here.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:24 PM
seeulater

Alright all I need help with something also! My drivers side window works really well but the weird thing is that when I go to roll it up it goes right back down again! They only way I can get it to stop is hold the button up for like 10 seconds or turn the car off and open the door. This is been happening since I bought it over a month ago but have just lived with it for now. Another thing that I noticed is that you know when you open the door and then close it again the window goes up a little bit more to make a better seal. Well it doesnt do it. I noticed that the passenger side did so I checked the driver side and I it doesnt do it. The car is also out of warranty.

Let me know what you think this is that doesnt let the window stay up.

Thanks

SeeULater

Quick Reply: Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)