Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
kj301

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no the reset procedure has to be done with the glass and motor fully installed. You can hit the button with the metal panel on, not the plastic door finisher.

KJ
Old 08-25-2006, 05:02 AM
Vamos_Rafael

this picture is basically when the window glass unit, motor unit, are all mounted on the aluminum panel ..
where do u clicky?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 AM
kj301

Peel the black protective sticker in the middle of the 3 motor mounting screws the button will be under there. I wouild post a picture, but I don't have time right now.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 AM
tlewis

Originally Posted by Vamos_Rafael
i do the reset procedure with the window glass unit itself unattached to the aluminum panel right?
because its impossible to reach around the aluminum panel after the screws are in...
:\.................
so basically the reset procedure for the window rotor is with the power connected to the switch and the window motor only then press the button with the rotor unmounted to the glass unit
right?
You can reach the reset button while the window/door is fully mounted. The button is directly behind one of the small round sticky tabs. Just peel it back and you will see the button.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
tlewis

I tried the cleaning method and it worked for about a week. I finally broke down and bought a new motor. I bought the one from Autozone for $145. The good thing is that the AZ one comes with a lifetime warranty.

It took about 30 mins to remove the old one and install the new one. Everything works just like new!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by tlewis
I tried the cleaning method and it worked for about a week. I finally broke down and bought a new motor. I bought the one from Autozone for $145. The good thing is that the AZ one comes with a lifetime warranty.

It took about 30 mins to remove the old one and install the new one. Everything works just like new!
Lifetime warranty? Cool, I didn't know that. Mine just came in this week via UPS, and are still sitting by the door. I'll be putting them in soon.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Vamos_Rafael

i just slap mine in...
works
rock on!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:17 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlewis

i've cleaned mine and they've worked for months now and i daily the car
Old 08-26-2006, 12:39 AM
justinrlamb00

I just cleaned mine today, because I replaced the the regulator and that didn't solve the problem. After I cleaned it I put it all back together, it worked better than new. I'll see how long that lasts, but the brushes and magnets looked like they were in perfect shape.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:42 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi...
i am just in the process of finishing the fix but apparently there is this obstacle i cant figure out
basically after i removed the 3 screwes to open up the motor, the motor housing gave a little pop then after i cleaned the thing i cant close the housing anymore...

there is this gap ...
it doesnt matter how i place the motor inside it still has the gap...
from what im seeing in the picture, is that on the back of the motor winding shaft is not seating in the hole on the cover.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Integrity
Banned

Just installed the two remanufactored motors I got from Autozone. Windows work great now. I ran into a problem with a bolt snapping and I had to drill and tap the bolt body out. I believe the window tracks are made out of aluminum and its very easy to cross thread a bolt into them without knowing so be careful on your reinstalls.

Just an afterthought. Everyone who's doing this repair, are you taking your door apart with the window in the up or down position? When I cleaned the motors I had the window in the up position and it was a PITA getting the door back together. Today when I put the new motors in, I left the driver side in the down position and it was a hell of a lot easier putting everything back together, especially if you're working by yourself.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:00 PM
justinrlamb00

Looks like I will be buying a new motor...after cleaning it yesterday, its already messing up a day later. O-well...it was worth a shot.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Gerry

hi...
i am just in the process of finishing the fix but apparently there is this obstacle i cant figure out
basically after i removed the 3 screwes to open up the motor, the motor housing gave a little pop then after i cleaned the thing i cant close the housing anymore...

there is this gap ...
it doesnt matter how i place the motor inside it still has the gap...
Dont know if you solved this yet, but what I had to do was remove the armature shaft from the gold cover(You need to pull kind of hard to pull the armature out of the cover to overcome the permanent magnet). and put the shaft into the black motor housing and turned it untill it was in enough that the gold cover fit properly.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:06 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure you confirmed that the motor is properly in the motor shaft? you have to screw-twist the magnetmotor clockwise until it is snug and secure, before you put that cover back on
Old 08-26-2006, 04:13 PM
rythex

Make SURE you push the brushes in before you try putting the coil back into the motor assembly.. the brushes will catch and not let the coil insert back in..

And don't scrape the crap out of the brushes either.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:30 AM
iheidt

just wanted to post and say i am having this problem on my 2003 as well. i will try the cleaning procedure. thanks for the helpful pics.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:54 PM
kj301

Just installed my repaired motor today. It works really well. Hope it will last longer then the stock brushes. I did notice one thing is when I was doing the motor reset procedure, my window (when I open the door) comes down a lot farther then it did in the past. I don't think this is a problem, but I was wondering if anyone who did the window reset noticed the same thing.

KJ
Old 08-30-2006, 02:57 AM
Gerry

Originally Posted by kj301
Just installed my repaired motor today. It works really well. Hope it will last longer then the stock brushes. I did notice one thing is when I was doing the motor reset procedure, my window (when I open the door) comes down a lot farther then it did in the past. I don't think this is a problem, but I was wondering if anyone who did the window reset noticed the same thing.

KJ
I think that is a function of the new motor pc board. I have an 03 and my wife just got an 06 G35c and her window comes down a lot more than mine when you open the door.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A new window motor installed will cost about $454.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Integrity
Banned

Originally Posted by davidv
A new window motor installed will cost about $454.
Damn Dave! I wish I knew your windows were messed up. You could have bought the motors from Autozone and I would have tossed them in for you for free.

Quick Reply: Window Motor Repair (replace motor brushes?)