Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Remote starter information?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 05:03 AM
DMONTE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote starter information?

I plan on installing a remote starter in my AT 350z does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

DMONTE
Old 12-24-2002, 11:00 AM
Omega350Z

Aladdin AX series (ax-2002 is the most current i believe)

Avistart Systems

DEI (very basic starter only)

Pretty much you get what you pay for, if youve never heard the name before or know anyone who has, then your probably buying a knock-off of a name brand system.

Remote start itself is extremely easy to install, but be sure to get a REAL transponder box to disable your immobilizer, not the cheap key-box that you have to keep a real key in (stupid easy way to hand your car to a theif.)
Old 12-24-2002, 01:13 PM
srobert910

Who makes a REAL transponder box? I've been searching all over for a nissan bypass, the only way we've been able to do a nissan transponder is with a DEI 555U box with the key hidden inside. I'd be very interested in finding a nissan one so i can save some headache for my customers.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:45 PM
DMONTE

I had my remote starter installed the other day now my doors both unlocked and lock at the same time. Only problem the distance that the remote operates seems to be very limited about 40 feet maximum I haven't spoken to the installer yet maybe the transmitter needs a fresh battery.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:44 PM
netZ

are you saying that your doors unlock and then lock during the remote start? in that case, your installer didn't send a single pulse to the door unlock wire.

this will disarm the factory alarm w/o unlocking your doors.

got any other security questions? pm me!

netZ

Originally posted by DMONTE
I had my remote starter installed the other day now my doors both unlocked and lock at the same time. Only problem the distance that the remote operates seems to be very limited about 40 feet maximum I haven't spoken to the installer yet maybe the transmitter needs a fresh battery.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:26 PM
ZThang

I put mine on the other day...used the DEI Responder system with my manual transmission...works great and has great distance....the alarm is amazing too. Theres a pic here.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=17462https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=17462
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 AM
rodion

ZThang,

Did you install it yourself? Any pictures of the install besides the keychain?
Can you tell us about times when this starter's range DIDN'T meet your expectations? Can you start your car from inside a movie theater or a shopping mall?
I have two DEI remote starters, and their ever-worsening performance has been pretty frustrating.

Does anyone have any info on commercially available phone-activated remote starters?
Old 01-27-2003, 11:49 AM
ZThang

Well, unless you're great with circuits and wiring, I would say that this isn't really the do it yourself kind of thing. I had it done at a local shop and they did an outstanding job...they hid all the switches and horn very nicely.
Sadly, i didn't take pictures of the install...took about 4.5 hrs though. Bypassing the clutch i believe was the hardest part.
As for range, well my system is only a couple of days old, so i haven't fully tested its range. I've started it from an indoor restaurant where i was about 150ft away from my car and could see it from the window next to me.
And as for starting it from inside a mall or movie theater, i dont worry about b/c i would never start the car unless it was in my line of vision...i don't really understand the point of starting it from somewhere where you don't know who is around your car etc. (safety thing you know?)
Old 01-27-2003, 12:59 PM
rodion

ZThang,

Are you concerned because of the MT on your car and possibility of running someone over if it's not in neutral? That's understandable.
Otherwise, i don't see the point in starting the car from 100 feet away as you're walking to it, because you'll be there in 15 seconds anyway, and you'll have to freeze/sweat just as much as without the starter.
I have AT.

Rodion
Old 01-27-2003, 02:37 PM
DMONTE

If you're putting a remote starter in a manual transmission, at least trie to remember to always pull your emergency brake up every time you leave your car. I put one on my five-speed Honda 12 years ago when starter's first came out and Man did I have a lot of close calls and some actual collisions no matter how much you try to never leave your car in gear I can almost guarantee it will happen more than once and it scares the @#$% out of you. I was never in the habit of leaving the emergency brake on and in the Honda every time it started in gear it would keep on going no stalling out unless you hit the starter again to deactivate. I would never do it again. The one I have now in my AT. Z has been working fine it's funny on a real cold day when I start IT it'll lurch a little forward just an inch or so I guess because the transmission fluid is thick, kind of gives me a little flashback .

DMONTE
Old 01-27-2003, 06:11 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 6MT and remote starting

The only way I would put a remote start on a stick is with some sort of sensor added to confirm neutral.

Not only is starting in gear bad for the car and dangerous, but the liability would be throught the ROOF if anything bad happened. I sure would hate to be in court explaining that the remote start on a 287hp car had NO safety. Yikes.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:01 AM
rodion

So, DMONTE,
What's the model of your remote starter? Are you still having problems with the range? Now that you've used it long enough, would you recommend it to others?
Rodion
Old 01-29-2003, 05:32 AM
DMONTE

rodion
the brand of starter is an auto mate, the installer also used a alarm unit to give me more features like Windows up-and-down that's why the range is not as far it is using the antenna of the alarm unit but he lengthened the antenna it helped a bit. No problem so far with the unit only problem is the weather like today I have to use my other car because of the snow and that does not have a starter. I don't want to be another Z casualty.

D. Monte
Old 09-28-2005, 12:53 AM
pengox

Originally Posted by Omega350Z
Aladdin AX series (ax-2002 is the most current i believe)

Avistart Systems

DEI (very basic starter only)

Pretty much you get what you pay for, if youve never heard the name before or know anyone who has, then your probably buying a knock-off of a name brand system.

Remote start itself is extremely easy to install, but be sure to get a REAL transponder box to disable your immobilizer, not the cheap key-box that you have to keep a real key in (stupid easy way to hand your car to a theif.)
Does anyone know where to buy the real transponder box that you use to disable the immobilizer? I've been trying to find a box that will not use an actual key inside, but the only bypass I've been able to find for a Nissan is this one: http://www.12voltshop.com/proddetail...COMPCHART&pid=
However, the problem with this one is that it does not list the 350z as a compatible car.

My remote start installer has installed everything I need to do the remote start into my car- except for the transponder bypass! He can't find a reliable maker that has a bypass that does not need the key.

I know it works because I can remote start the car if the chip is held near the ignition, but that's not what I want to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Exta_Z

yeah, the DEI 555U is the only known method that i am aware of to bypass the security start-up. Although, Nissan uses this in the 350Z? Hmmm... Well, at least you dont have to hide the OEM radio in order for your security system to work (cough...cough "HONDA!"). I miss the old school DEI Viper system, with the all-black key fob.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Inovashn

you can also use a 556u from dei that way it learns the key and you don't have to give up one.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
pengox

I just looked up the 556u and it says that it needs to keep a spare key in the module.

Does DEI make a "learning" module, that's exactly what I'm looking for.