Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission drowning

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 12:02 PM
zpennies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission drowning

Hi All,
I know that this has come up before but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed a loud drowing with their Z's transmission when cruising at speeds around 60-70mph. It also seems to show up when the rpms are siting right around 3k - 4k. I'm trying to determine if this is a problem or a common occurance with the Z. I find it hard to believe it is an issue since I only have 9k miles on my so far. I know the Carbon Fiber shaft contributes a little to noice level.

Thanks much
Old 11-18-2005, 12:45 PM
milanista

Originally Posted by zpennies
Hi All,
I know that this has come up before but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed a loud drowing with their Z's transmission when cruising at speeds around 60-70mph. It also seems to show up when the rpms are siting right around 3k - 4k. I'm trying to determine if this is a problem or a common occurance with the Z. I find it hard to believe it is an issue since I only have 9k miles on my so far. I know the Carbon Fiber shaft contributes a little to noice level.

Thanks much
If the tranny is drowning, throw it a life preserver or something...

On the other hand, I've never heard of transmissions "droning". I think what you're hearing is probably the exhaust and/or tire noise.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:06 PM
halitosis

I didn't know trannies could swim?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rice drivers pay extra for that sound, but on a fairly new Z?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:36 PM
mavtais

Please give us a better description of the symptom.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:29 AM
zpennies

Thanks for the correction- that's what happens when you try to type fast. No drowning here just droning or also it can be described as a transmission whine. The noise seems to come on at around 3500rpms or about 75mph in 6th gear. The noise doesn't occur at 82mph or 65mph. It's not the tires (had them changed out) and not the exhuast. It is a damn strange thing though - I've owned a few TT's and an STI and have never noticed anything like this. Took it to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it. They thought it might possibly be a noise from the Carbon Fiber drive shaft and if this is the case then there is nothing they can do about it. It doesn't cause any problems just headaches after a while of driving. Just curious if someone else has noticed this.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:41 AM
Lucino

my trans definitely whines, I can hear it, in the moring during cold weather, I can also hear some windy sound, as if I didn't close the windows all the way up or something, I couldn't determine where the sound was coming from, it goes away once the car was warmed up.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:37 AM
maxpowers

Originally Posted by Lucino
my trans definitely whines, I can hear it, in the moring during cold weather, I can also hear some windy sound, as if I didn't close the windows all the way up or something, I couldn't determine where the sound was coming from, it goes away once the car was warmed up.
I've been fighting with my dealer for a year because I have this same exact problem. In cold weather, I get this whining noise coming from the transmission, its sounds a little like wind noise. It goes away when the car warms up. The dealer acknowledges the noise, but now the dealer needs some head office rep to listen and decide if the tranny needs to be replaced.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:01 AM
ht4

Took it to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it. They thought it might possibly be a noise from the Carbon Fiber drive shaft and if this is the case then there is nothing they can do about it.
WTF? How does a drive shaft make a droning noise? (unless you have a worn bearing in which case there is something the dealer can do).

That sounds like a "I have no idea what is wrong so I am going to make something up" line (up there with "unwound gear backlash" <-- check the other forum for the thread about this) If I were you I would tell the dealer that they might be able to use that line on a 16 y/o girl, but not on you!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:39 AM
maxpowers

Further to my earlier post, I get tranmission whining/droning in colder temps for the first 10 minutes of driving.

Dealer called me today and said a new tranny is on the way. Some regional manager had to come out to hear it but all is good now. Hopefully the new tranny will be a good one.

Other than the whining, my current tranny is awesome, no grinding or notchy gear changes. I hope I'm not changing one problem for another.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

The noise seems to come on at around 3500rpms or about 75mph in 6th gear. .
wow, my Z is at 3000rpm at 80mph in 6th gear. do you have the 3.9 FD swap?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Lucino

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Further to my earlier post, I get tranmission whining/droning in colder temps for the first 10 minutes of driving.

Dealer called me today and said a new tranny is on the way. Some regional manager had to come out to hear it but all is good now. Hopefully the new tranny will be a good one.

Other than the whining, my current tranny is awesome, no grinding or notchy gear changes. I hope I'm not changing one problem for another.
Good to hear, besides that whining noise I experience hard time getting into 2nd gear. anyone else?

Please let us know if the sound still exist with the new tranny. THX

Last edited by Lucino; 12-15-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:49 AM
350Z007

Originally Posted by Lucino
Good to hear, besides that whining noise I experience hard time getting into 2nd gear. anyone else?

Please let us know if the sound still exist with the new tranny. THX
I have a hard time into 2nd gear when the car is cold. After about 15 minutes of driving it goes away.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Lucino

Spoke to the tech at the dealship today he said the drowning noise is totally normal and safe.
Having hard times getting into second gear mainly due to the sensitivity of the trans when the fluid is freezing cold, so we just have to take it easy and be gentle at start up.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 AM
barthelb
Master

Hmm i've never experienced this. But i always warm my car up for about 3min every morning so maybe thats why. I have a messed up differential now tho but thats do to all the drag racing and power.