Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How to select an aftermarket oil filter? -

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:09 PM
mwaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to select an aftermarket oil filter? -

I'd really like to use an aftermarket oil filter w/ synthetic filter media (Mobil 1, AC Ultraguard gold). How do I know if these filters will fit/work on the Z? Most high end filters only come in a few sizes.... and they don't have useage charts for 2003 vehicles.
Thanks,
Mika
Old 01-17-2003, 03:56 AM
ScottC

I just went in for my first oil change and the service manager told me to only use Nissan oil filters. He said there is a valve in them that is not made by another company. It keeps the oil from falling all the way into the oil pan, thus more lubricated start ups. Anyone else heard this? I would talk to the dealer before you buy an after market.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by ScottC
I just went in for my first oil change and the service manager told me to only use Nissan oil filters. He said there is a valve in them that is not made by another company. It keeps the oil from falling all the way into the oil pan, thus more lubricated start ups. Anyone else heard this? I would talk to the dealer before you buy an after market.
To me, it isn't worth the hassle to try and find an aftermarket oil filter and the previous post is one of the reasons why. I'll take in my own oil, Mobile 1, but I ALWAYS use Nissan's filter. Any engine problems could be blamed on using an aftermarket filter and even if they couldn't prove it, it would be an enormous hassle that's not worth taking up my time.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:39 AM
mwaller

I agree that nissan filters are a safe bet. However, the maual does say to use Nissan P/N such 'n such OR EQUIVALENT. I want to know what those equivalents are so I can make an educated decision.
Thanks,
Mika
Old 01-17-2003, 08:23 PM
troy49er

Red face

Nissan filters are $4.97 a pop at my local dealership, I think that is quite a deal. Quality seems to be as good as any aftermarket filter, and at half the price in some cases.
I am sure there will be some really good filters in the future, Amsoil comes to mind. But I will just take my chances with the Nissan filter.
Also I found a pretty good deal yesterday while shopping at my local Target Superstore, they sell Mobil 1 5w-30 for $3.79 a quart.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by troy49er
Nissan filters are $4.97 a pop at my local dealership, I think that is quite a deal. Quality seems to be as good as any aftermarket filter, and at half the price in some cases.
I am sure there will be some really good filters in the future, Amsoil comes to mind. But I will just take my chances with the Nissan filter.
Also I found a pretty good deal yesterday while shopping at my local Target Superstore, they sell Mobil 1 5w-30 for $3.79 a quart.
Good deals. Sometimes the aftermarket is very seductive, promising lots, sometimes it delivers, sometimes not. I am more comfortable with a known quantity, rather than take a chance on something I can only take their word for its efficacy. Amsoil has been around quite a while, but so has Nissan and thats what we are driving.