Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

One last try to fix rattle....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 06:20 AM
JCZ33

You want to know what the Rattle is? It the actual hatch it's self... There are two layers molded together, the out skin(your car's color) the inner skin(same color, they vibrate against each other near the rear quarter windows. What's the FIX? not sure!!!
Old 09-27-2006 | 06:29 AM
JCZ33

Originally Posted by tenpenniesz
Not sure if this is the same rattle or not. I had a problem with my rear hatch rattling so i went to the store and bought a few of the adhesive rubber stoppers/feet that you put on the bottom of pitctures, artwork, vases, flower pots, etc. when they are sitting on top of nice wood as to prevent scratching. You can get them at any retail store. I got my at target in the tool section by the different glues and velcro adhesives. They usually come in small pack of 8. Anyway I glued a stopper down under each for black hatch springs on the side of the rear hatch and it took care of the problem right away. Apparently the build quality is not that great and the rear hatch can develop a metallic rattle due to the lose fit. Drove me crazy until my $2 fix. The stoppers come with an adhesive backing but make sure you use something to glue them down as well. I ended up using Gorilla glue and it worked great. Before you glue them down though try driving around with the stoppers in place just with the adhesive backing and see how that works. Best of luck, it took me a long time to figure this one out.
THIS IS IT!!!!
I'm off to the store.
Old 10-03-2006 | 05:38 PM
zeerokewl

I had a similar problem and it took me over a dozen trips to the dealer to fix it. Finally they called some sort of tech from the factory to come out and took my car apart for three days before they found it.

My rattle was very metallic. It started within a few months of owning my 05. Metal hitting metal, high pitched. In the end, it was from a weight mounted on the inside of the hatch which counterbalances the struts that push it open. It's mounted in a vibration absorber so that it can shake, hence the problem over bumps. It has these large welds on it (don't know why) which were incorrectly contacting the hatch door. They sanded down the welds and it went away for about a year, then it came back a little, maybe as the vibration absorber became looser. I yanked the whole thing out when soundproofing the truck.
Old 10-04-2006 | 07:03 AM
Cyp

Originally Posted by zeerokewl
I had a similar problem and it took me over a dozen trips to the dealer to fix it. Finally they called some sort of tech from the factory to come out and took my car apart for three days before they found it.

My rattle was very metallic. It started within a few months of owning my 05. Metal hitting metal, high pitched. In the end, it was from a weight mounted on the inside of the hatch which counterbalances the struts that push it open. It's mounted in a vibration absorber so that it can shake, hence the problem over bumps. It has these large welds on it (don't know why) which were incorrectly contacting the hatch door. They sanded down the welds and it went away for about a year, then it came back a little, maybe as the vibration absorber became looser. I yanked the whole thing out when soundproofing the truck.
can you post a picture of it? I still have my ticking while hitting bumps.
Old 10-04-2006 | 07:03 AM
Cyp

What I mean is, can you take a picture of the location? Thank you
Old 10-06-2006 | 05:41 PM
zeerokewl

Originally Posted by Cyp
What I mean is, can you take a picture of the location? Thank you
I don't have a pic but it's pretty obvious. Open the trunk hatch and pull off the large main plastic panel on the hatch door (i.e. the part that lifts). It will be right in the middle. It's a black block about 2.5x4 inches attached to a larger metal plate. Unscrew the bolts on the plate and pull off the whole plate+block assembly.
Old 11-03-2006 | 11:17 AM
cmtuggl

first of all - i want to thank you all for inspiring me to look and see wtf the squeek was (again)!

I've taken apart my strut bar structure looking for it the first time...to no avail.

The problem on my 03 touring was a very high pitched sound coming from the hatch. It happens when I go over small and big bumps!

I tried the plugs on the end of the hatch shocks - no improvments. I looked at the counterbalance under the plastic on the top part of the hatch - I could tell that wasn't the problem.

MY FIX was...
While leaning into the hatch i put my hand on the plastic panel on the bottom part of the hatch. It made the same ANNOYING sound that had been making my blood boil for the last few months. It was apparently rubbing on some metal that sticks out with holes for screws. I was able to O-so-easily fix the problem by putting the bottom layer of flooring (there are 3, carpet, rubber, plastic board) - the plasticish board under the bottom part of the panel. This way, it doesn't rub against the metal. GOD what a relief!!!
Old 11-03-2006 | 09:49 PM
Cyp

OK, I really want to know the solution to your problem. Could you please post a picture of the location. THank you
Old 11-04-2006 | 07:17 AM
Zlayer

My car has rattles comming from at least 5 or six places. They are not all at the same time. There is no ryme or reason to it. My rearview mirror, driverside seatbelt area, plastic area around rear speakers, trim around shifter, and 2 or 3 places from the rear hatch area. Like I posted earlier, I took apart the entire hatch area, put down sound deadener under spare tire, put adhesive foam tape (for putting in between a truck bed and campertop) over almost the entire metal strut bar & side panels to make sure the plastic wasnt vibrating against the metal body. I put silicone around all the plastic fateners because they are loose and could possibly cause a buzzy sound. when getting som tsb service done I told them about the rearview and they affixed the wire for the mirror better, but there is an internal rattle to the mirror itsself. After all this the noise (most of the time is unbearable). The only solution is to drive with the windows down, and the wind either drowns out the noise, or something to do with interior air pressure causes the noises to go away. That plan doesnt work to well in the winter though! so GOOD LUCK on this impossible task!
Old 11-04-2006 | 08:45 AM
gt3

Originally Posted by mwh350z
My car has rattles comming from at least 5 or six places. They are not all at the same time. There is no ryme or reason to it. My rearview mirror, driverside seatbelt area, plastic area around rear speakers, trim around shifter, and 2 or 3 places from the rear hatch area. Like I posted earlier, I took apart the entire hatch area, put down sound deadener under spare tire, put adhesive foam tape (for putting in between a truck bed and campertop) over almost the entire metal strut bar & side panels to make sure the plastic wasnt vibrating against the metal body. I put silicone around all the plastic fateners because they are loose and could possibly cause a buzzy sound. when getting som tsb service done I told them about the rearview and they affixed the wire for the mirror better, but there is an internal rattle to the mirror itsself. After all this the noise (most of the time is unbearable). The only solution is to drive with the windows down, and the wind either drowns out the noise, or something to do with interior air pressure causes the noises to go away. That plan doesnt work to well in the winter though! so GOOD LUCK on this impossible task!
Does the mirror noise stop when you hold the mirror? If so, the mirror buzz comes from the actual mirror rattling against the frame of the mirror housing. There should be some play when you push the mirror into the housing. You will need to take apart the mirror to fix it.
Old 11-04-2006 | 12:22 PM
Cyp

Originally Posted by mwh350z
Wow, your alergic to noise like me. Over the three years I had my car, I finnally can say that it doesn't bother me as much as it did within the first two years of owning the car. I almost traded it in for a Lexus just for the peace and quiet. However, no car in the same budget feels as good as the Z in the drivers seat.
Old 11-04-2006 | 06:23 PM
350V

Angry

Originally Posted by bdblackz
i have the same problem! hard acceleration in first develops a metallic rattle - not plastic.
I have the same issue in my '04.5.
Old 11-04-2006 | 06:26 PM
350V

Originally Posted by glowz825
The way I fixed my rattle/ticking noise I pulled the trunk striker off of the trunk lid and put a shim in between the trunk lid and the striker in between the two bolt holes this will create a uneven surface and when tightend down will compress the multiple layers of crappy spot welded metal together thus getting rid of the MOST ANNOYING SOUND IN THE WORLD!!!!!!Ever since I did this I can love my Z again
Can you please post pics?
Old 01-03-2007 | 10:31 AM
samfisher

Cool Rattle

I have an 06 GT. I have the same Rattle (sounds like tin vibrating against tin) @ about 5000 rpm. There happened to be a mechanic there from Nissan Japan. He has a Z and told me that the hatch well vibrates against the frame of the car. He said sometimes after a few 1000 miles it works itself out. He also said that fixing it can violate the integrity of the frame as it was assembled in the plant. I have decided to live with it. The road noise tends to drown it out...comments?
Old 01-03-2007 | 07:38 PM
Cyp

Originally Posted by samfisher
I have an 06 GT. I have the same Rattle (sounds like tin vibrating against tin) @ about 5000 rpm. There happened to be a mechanic there from Nissan Japan. He has a Z and told me that the hatch well vibrates against the frame of the car. He said sometimes after a few 1000 miles it works itself out. He also said that fixing it can violate the integrity of the frame as it was assembled in the plant. I have decided to live with it. The road noise tends to drown it out...comments?
I have not heard that one before. I would imagine, since this rattle existed in my 03' and you have an 06' and this guy who works for Nissan knows about it...they should have worked this problem out by now.
Old 01-05-2007 | 04:43 PM
samfisher

Originally Posted by Cyp
I have not heard that one before. I would imagine, since this rattle existed in my 03' and you have an 06' and this guy who works for Nissan knows about it...they should have worked this problem out by now.
I think the bottom line is that the manufacture specs on a car that maxes at $41,000.00 is going to have some ill fitting here and there and that it just has to be expected and accepted.
Old 01-09-2007 | 06:43 PM
OP Z

I found that the interior back panel beneath the hatch (with the light on it) has 2 metal frame members directly behind it. If you lift up your trunk mat and the cardboard piece covering the spare tire, you can push a piece of corrugated cardboard up and in between the panel and each metal frame member. This has been the best fix I've found so far for reducing general vibration noise and bass induced vibration.
Old 02-17-2007 | 08:58 AM
scellis1

Default One last time to fix rattle....

I had the same exact annoying rattle in My Z. I actually took the big plastic interior trim piece from inside of the hatch. I saw multiple plastic fasteners and a few metal clips that hold the panel to the hatch sheetmetal. What rattles believe it or not are the metal clips that snap into the slots in the sheetmetal. What I did was simply scrape the black material off of some of the Dynamat sheets that I had left over from my stereo install. I completely coated each metal clip and then reattatched the platic trim piece. My rattle is gone and has not come back. That one was a ***** to find. I kept thinking it was my subs creating the rattle. I hope this helps you out.