Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My fix for seat moving/clicking

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 05:49 PM
bsantini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Seat click is gone!!!

Mine wasn't out all the way but would bang between the seat height adjustment rod and the seat support leg. I didn't have a cotter pin or similar handy. So I just put a thick cloth o-ring in between and tightened everything back up. If it comes back, I'll drill it out and put in a pin.

For people that wonder what we're talking about, you can just lift up the seat cushion near the shifter on the right and wiggle the seat left and right. You'll see the rod move in and out through the seat leg in the space between the seat and the tranny tunnel.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Marked350Z

This was really annoying the heck out of me. Awesome fix, it took me just a little over a hour. I love this forum. zPilott, Thank you very much.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:31 PM
SunsetZ

So, this fix does not apply to the touring models that have the slight left movement of the seat when making hard right hand turns?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:11 AM
kilroywuzhere

ZPilott have you shared your fix with a dealer? For those of us that don't have the space to work on our car (or aren't daring enough)...I am a bit of both.

Or has anybody taken ZPilott's fix to a dealer and asked them to implement?

I am not far off from my oil change and I would love to have the dealer fix the annoying shift/click when I am there.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2003, 11:04 AM
zPilott

The fix would only apply to the manual seats (not the power seats in the touring, the assembly is different).

I haven't had any contact with any dealerships, since I have been doing my own maintenance. I don't know if they would be willing to do something like this for you, unless the fix came from nissan. It isn't that hard to do, but it is always nice to have someone pay for replacement if something gets messed up.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:23 AM
del105
15 f125

can this be down without taking the plastic parts off the seat?
Old 02-20-2003, 01:00 PM
kilroywuzhere

Originally posted by zPilott
The fix would only apply to the manual seats (not the power seats in the touring, the assembly is different).

I haven't had any contact with any dealerships, since I have been doing my own maintenance. I don't know if they would be willing to do something like this for you, unless the fix came from nissan. It isn't that hard to do, but it is always nice to have someone pay for replacement if something gets messed up.
Thanks for the response. I do have the manual seats, but have the side airbags.

And yes, always nice to have someone pay for the replacement!

Guess I will bring all your notes when I go, and see what they say when I ask.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:11 PM
flyz33

hell yeah man! good job. You are a true z player!!
Old 02-20-2003, 06:14 PM
flyz33

oh yeah i ment zPilott, the *ucking genius who invented this and was nice enough to share, i'm for real though you have no idea how much this was ticking me off.

You want me to send you a grand or sometin man???
Old 02-20-2003, 08:07 PM
BROKE

I bought a performance model about 5 weeks ago. The first time I pushed through some mountain roads I noticed my seat bottom sliding around and making clicking sounds. I complained to the dealer and they agreed that the seat was not quite right and ordered a new one for me. While waiting for the new seat, the problem got worse, and was driving me nuts. I found this thread and printed out the fix described above and gave it to the service writer when I returned to have them install the new seat. My concern was that if they installed the new seat without addressing the root cause, the problem would return. I insisted they call Nissan to find out if this was a common problem before they blindly replaced the seat. The next day the dealer informed me that they had contacted Nissan and this is a known problem (with manual seats..not with power seats) and there is a factory fix kit. They had my car for 3 days before the fix kit showed up. My original seat was in such bad condition, the dealer decided to install the fix kit on the new seat. My guess is that the longer you wait the worse it gets.

Let me tell you, it is like a different ride after this fix. I am now (again) in 350Z bliss.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:06 PM
kilroywuzhere

Originally posted by BROKE

I found this thread and printed out the fix described above and gave it to the service writer when I returned to have them install the new seat.

The next day the dealer informed me that they had contacted Nissan and this is a known problem (with manual seats..not with power seats) and there is a factory fix kit. They had my car for 3 days before the fix kit showed up. My original seat was in such bad condition, the dealer decided to install the fix kit on the new seat. My guess is that the longer you wait the worse it gets.
So they did not use the fix from the forum, there is a seperate factory fix?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:09 PM
BROKE

They refused to impliment the forum fix until they talked to Nissan. Nissan's fix was not the same as the forum fix. I can not comment on which is better. They had my car and seat so I left it up to them.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:01 PM
zPilott

Originally posted by BROKE
They refused to impliment the forum fix until they talked to Nissan. Nissan's fix was not the same as the forum fix. I can not comment on which is better. They had my car and seat so I left it up to them.
Any idea what the official nissan fix is? I think we would all be interested to know.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:22 PM
BROKE

First let me clarify a few things. Nissan did not replace the seat cushions, upholstery and airbags. After studying the invoice from my dealer and the driver’s seat, in the light of day, here’s what I think they did:
1. Dealer ordered and received all hardware for the driver’s side seat pedestal.
2. Dealer called Nissan (at my insistence) when I gave them a printed copy of this Forum thread before they started to work on the seat.
3. Nissan acknowledged this is a known problem and told the Dealer not to proceed with any repairs until Nissan shipped their fix kit.
4. Dealer received the fix kit (“SOP IS HERE” on my invoice) 3 days later.
5. Dealer’s invoice indicates that they used parts from my original seat pedestal and parts from the new seat pedestal along with the “fix kit” to repair my seat.
6. When I picked up my car I asked the service writer if they drilled and used a pin as on the forum and he said no. I asked what the Nissan fix was and the service writer talked about shims and washers.

I hope this helps. All I know is that my 350Z is now a pleasure to drive.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:52 AM
flyz33

this is just a wonderful thread
Old 02-25-2003, 07:40 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to have to play with my seat later, but the clunk I hear seems to be near the back right part of seat pedistal. Hmmm...

Great thread nonetheless...
Old 03-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Samurai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I got my car in September and started noticing this click on turns. In October I told the dealer but it wasn't bad so we let it go. By Decemeber the seat had gotten much worse so they ordered a new seat rail. The seat was so bad that if you grab the front of the seat you can move it up and down and it will rattle. The passenger side seat is rock solid when you grab it and try to move it.

I no doubt have(had?) the same seat click problem as all of you here. But now I don't know if my seat has another problem.

Could someone please grab the front of their driver side seat and see if it moves w/noise when try to move it up and down ? If yours is solid then I still have a problem, maybe different.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:55 AM
christurismohk

I got my car in September and started noticing this click on turns. In October I told the dealer but it wasn't bad so we let it go. By Decemeber the seat had gotten much worse so they ordered a new seat rail. The seat was so bad that if you grab the front of the seat you can move it up and down and it will rattle. The passenger side seat is rock solid when you grab it and try to move it.
Same thing to my car! My seat will make noise if i grab the front and move it up and down!!!
Old 03-07-2003, 10:56 AM
zPilott

if you reach under the seat you whould be able to feel the bar that moves when you rotate the seat height adjustment ****. If you look between the seat and the console, near the front of the seat, you should be able to see it coming through the hole in the bracket. Mine was so bad that it came out of the hole, and I could lift the entire front corner up 3-4 inches. If it is still in the hole, you will be able to wiggle the seat and see it move in and out. The rails on mine were fine.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:19 PM
BROKE

If your dealer fixes your seat clicking problem with the factory fix you need to check the wireing harness under the seat. My dealer managed to mess up my wire harness and all of the seat belt and air bag wires were left hanging under my seat on the floor boards. My concern here is that sooner or later the wires will catch on the hardware and pull apart. I am not happy and plan to make a fuss when I return for the 3750 mile service.

Quick Reply: My fix for seat moving/clicking