Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My fix for seat moving/clicking

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 03:41 AM
jeffa55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem... if you have any problems let me know and maybe I can take some pics of what I did and email them to you
Old 03-23-2005, 12:03 PM
G I Love My Car

Just to let everyone know, this does fix the movement problem BUT I had a serious popping noise coming from where I drilled the hole and put the pin in, once I took the pin out the noise went away but the movement came back. What I have found is when you drill the hole DO NOT put it as close to the frame as possiable, give yourself a little room and put a rubber or plastic washer between the frame and cotter pin to stop any noise from the pin against the seat frame. I was the only one that I have heard that had the popping noise but I would hate for anyone else to have to deal with what I did for several weeks. It almost made the car not fun to drive anymore.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:30 PM
BROKE

Exclamation

I am sick of dealing with the drivers seat moving, clicking and squeaking i could puke. Everytime i ask them fix it they make it worse. I have had the car in for drivers seat noise/shifting problems at least 6 times (I am 6' 1" and 200 lbs). One time they didn't even bolt the seat belt latch to the seat frame. The POS seat now squeaks with every bump in the road, every turn of the steering wheel and every breath i take. This alone is enough to make me wish i never bought this car. Not to mention my 6 window lift replacements...3 drivers side & 3 passenger side lifts in 18 months... The passenger window is now covered with grease and sounds like someone is hitting the door with a baseball bat everytime i move the window up or down. Have had oil leaking out of the drivers side valve cover for 2 years...to date, Nissan has been unwilling to fix it, car smells like an oily 25 year old pickup truck (you know the smell i'm talking about) -> drivers side of engine block is coated with oil...NISSAN service sucks.....NEVER WILL I BUY ANOTHER NISSAN!

Last edited by BROKE; 03-24-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:16 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by BROKE
I am sick of dealing with the drivers seat moving, clicking and squeaking i could puke. Everytime i ask them fix it they make it worse. Nissan has been unwilling to fix it, car smells like an oily 25 year old pickup truck (you know the smell i'm talking about) -> drivers side of engine block is coated with oil...NISSAN service sucks.....NEVER WILL I BUY ANOTHER NISSAN!
My seat clicks as well. Yeah , sucks to have a warranty thats basically worthless. My dealership service dept has been zero help as well. My next project will be adjusting the headlights up. I dont even consider wasting my time with the service dept as the standard answer will be after the car sits there for a day " they are adjusted as designed" . Whats ironic is that the same guy owns both the chevy and the nissan dealerships and the chevy service dept was outstanding.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:07 PM
BROKE

My passenger side headlight lense has a cloudy buildup inside; the drivers side is clear and still looks new. Any suggestions as to what is causing this cloudy buildup? I keep the Z garaged or car covered when not on the road.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Jung918

does anyone have a picture of the completed project?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by BROKE
My passenger side headlight lense has a cloudy buildup inside; the drivers side is clear and still looks new. Any suggestions as to what is causing this cloudy buildup? I keep the Z garaged or car covered when not on the road.
click here

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-051.htm
Old 03-31-2005, 06:05 PM
BROKE

Thanks for the link DAYTONA-ZED. I have had water condensation in both headlight lenses from time to time but as the TSB explains, the moisture always disappears. My problem is that the inside of the passenger side lense always has a mottled cloudy appearance while the drivers side is always clear. And the cloud is growing with time. I thought it might be waterspotted from evaporated condensation but then I would expect both sides to look the same. It looks like a cyclops! Maybe the lense is cracked where I can't see it and gunk is entering on the one side and mixing with condensation, when it is active, then being left as a cloudy haze when the water evaporates.

Last edited by BROKE; 03-31-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:42 AM
specialp

This fix really works and it only takes 15 minutes if you have everything together. I could actually see some wear on the end of the bar. If you have side airbags, it will not be a problem if you do not turn on the car while your seat is out, and do not short the pins in the plug (hard to do unless you stick a paperclip in there or something!)
Yes there is a TSB out and the dealer will fix it, but bringing your car down there is a PITA and having them give you some crap while they keep your car for days is not worth it either.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:00 PM
pulpz2

Originally Posted by Jung918
does anyone have a picture of the completed project?

Couldn't resist!
Attached Thumbnails My fix for seat moving/clicking-5350z_gal_med12.jpg  
Old 04-28-2005, 04:41 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... TWICE I had taken mine into Nissan and TWICE they made it worse if anything!

Why couldnt they just do this simple fix. Took me 30 minutes last night! It worked like a charm! THANK YOU! (I should have done this months ago).
Old 04-28-2005, 11:33 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
Wow... TWICE I had taken mine into Nissan and TWICE they made it worse if anything!

Why couldnt they just do this simple fix. Took me 30 minutes last night! It worked like a charm! THANK YOU! (I should have done this months ago).
Did you have to remove the seat to do the fix?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:09 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but if you have a long enough drill bit you dont.

I dont have side air bags, so it was easy enough to remove and made the work quick. Still.. no shifting!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:18 AM
zPilott

and it is only 4 bolts and a couple of plugs