Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My fix for seat moving/clicking

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Blue Liquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it in to have the offical fix done. However, at this point the seat no longer moves, but it does make a noise still as it must be shifting ever so slightly. So I can't feel it moving, but I can hear it make a screeching noise. Very annoying. Next service I'll have them get another crack at it.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:52 AM
zPilott

Well, it has been over a year now since I first did this fix, and it is still rock solid. No noise, no motion. For the first few months last year, i was autocrossing regularly, so I think if it was going to go, it would have went then. I still whole heartedly recommend this fix for anyone that is having this problem (though those with side airbags might have to take some extra safety precautions in removing the seat)
Old 04-06-2004, 02:39 PM
HokieZ

bump for those looking for a fix......
Old 04-07-2004, 03:52 AM
Blue Liquid

I had the TSB done, it came back just as bad. Nissan ordered all new seat rails and the work is being done today. Hopefully, that solves the problem.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:45 AM
zPilott

The rails are a problem, but only the secondary problem. The bigger seat motion is in the rails moving apart because they have no support. I almost wish the fix was a little more involved, so I could make some money off of it, but (for those without airbags) it really is just a couple bolts and drilling a hole....
Old 06-17-2004, 09:56 AM
jeffa55

Has anyone done this fix (the one that started this thread) with the side airbags?? I really want to do it, but am nervous about the airbags...
Old 06-17-2004, 10:08 AM
mark350

I did mine with the side airbags....just unplug the harness under the seat and you should be fine. If you want to be really safe disconnect the battery first....although the airbag propellant is triggered by capacitors so I don't think disconnecting the battery matters.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:36 PM
slackjaw

Default Re: My fix for seat moving/clicking

You are THE MAN !! I did your home-made seat fix and problem solved. I would highly advise anyone out there who has this problem to do the same. The job is really simple and really does work. The job takes about 45mins and a six-pack of Busch Light (or better if ya got it) to complete. Thanks for the fix and once again, it works.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:34 AM
jeffa55

My seat was driving me craxy and I had decided to embark on the fix (I have the side airbags, but it looks like that shouldn't be an issue). Well, when I climbed down on my knees and looked under the seat, I immediately saw how the bar will pull away from the hole and then 'click' when it goes all the way back in (mine didn't come completely out, it just moves about 1/4 of an inch). Well, rather than take apart the seat, I just pried them apart and jambed a piece of hard rubber in between the pieces (like a little rubber washer)... well, the click is now gone and it only took 5 minutes!!
Old 07-17-2004, 04:34 AM
Nismosx

Im not getting the clicking noise but my seat is moving around like crazy. I took it in to Nissan a year ago and they said they are aware of the problem and did the fix. It was fine for a while and now its doing it again.

Im thinking of trying this but Im not sure I understand. I think I see the bar your taking about between the seat and middle console and I see the bar sticking out. What side of the bar do you need to put the pin in? Outside the seat or inside?
Old 07-17-2004, 07:41 AM
Nismosx

It think I figured out what I need to do but I got another question,

My bar never slides out but theres alot of play in it moving so Im thinking this will fix it. Do you think it would be ok to hold the seat so the bars out as far as possible and drill it right there as it sits and throw a pin in?
Old 07-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Nismosx

Thumbs up

Nevermind the questions it worked for me. Thanx for the great tip

Old 10-11-2004, 05:49 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... I have a week old Z, and it drives me nuts how it clicks left and right.

Boy I pray this fixes it. Thanks guys, I will be puling my seat apart tonight!!

I assume this works for the 04's as well????
Old 10-12-2004, 01:57 PM
shanster

Originally posted by tacomaboy
Wow... I have a week old Z, and it drives me nuts how it clicks left and right.

Boy I pray this fixes it. Thanks guys, I will be puling my seat apart tonight!!

I assume this works for the 04's as well????
Yep, it works for '04's... I did mine last nite, and it works great. I took it through several hard corners and no more 'pop' or shifting.

I have the airbags too. Saw some other replies where they were wondrin about them... All you have to do is disconnect both battery terminals, and disconnect the wires under the seat and be careful not to slam the seat around too much when removing/installing.

I put a pin through both sides for extra support.

Kudos to zPilott!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:38 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Anyway of doing this fix without taking the seat out and tearing it down????

thanks.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:11 AM
jeffa55

To answer your question of whether or not your can do it without taking your seat apart: YES.

See my post above where I describe my quicky fix... it has been working just fine and it took 5 minutes and I didn't take a single thing apart.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:05 AM
zPilott

Originally posted by jeffa55
To answer your question of whether or not your can do it without taking your seat apart: YES.

See my post above where I describe my quicky fix... it has been working just fine and it took 5 minutes and I didn't take a single thing apart.
If I read your fix right, it sounds like you are adding a piece to keep the plates further apart, so now the rod doesn't stick through the plates as far now? Does the seat still move freely forward and back?

If you drive hard (I am 6'2", 250lbs and I was autocrossing a lot when I first came across this problem), I would bet that you will eventually have the clicking come back, because the tension will lessen with time.

I think the best fix is still to keep the bar from pulling out in the first place. There are probably better ways to accomplish this, this is only one method.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Saw your post. There is some type of round retainer washer or metal flange already on the bar on the outer side of the seat. The bar dosent seem to move much at all when i adjust the seat height , so im wondering if this was a factory "fix". Did you put the rubber washer between this washer/flange and the side of the seat??

My seat clicking seems to come from the seat front to back adjuster lever. Like its not seating fully in the teeth of the rail under the seat.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:29 AM
jeffa55

I definitely agree that the actual fix (taking the seat out) is the 'better' way to go, but this has worked so far...
I believe that I sandwiched the rubber piece in between the 'round retainer washer' and the seat frame... I pried them apart with a screw driver (you should be able to wiggle the seat to see how they come apart and then come back together - this is what causes the click - the impact between the washer and the seat frame).
Old 01-11-2005, 08:52 AM
DAYTONA-ZED

I definitely agree that the actual fix (taking the seat out) is the 'better' way to go, but this has worked so far...
I believe that I sandwiched the rubber piece in between the 'round retainer washer' and the seat frame... I pried them apart with a screw driver (you should be able to wiggle the seat to see how they come apart and then come back together - this is what causes the click - the impact between the washer and the seat frame).
Thanks, will give it a shot. For now, it beats taking it to the "rocket scientist" at the service dept and waiting a few hours just so they can tell you,,,,,,"sorry can't reproduce the problem"

Quick Reply: My fix for seat moving/clicking