Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems?

Would you guys say the Z's are suffering from alot of problems. The tires being POS, the trans having problems. It seems like every 9 out 10 people have something wrong with their cars. So whats your opinion on all of this?
Old 02-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Raptor303

9 out of 10 people? You mean 9 out of 10 posts that you read in the technical issues forum? I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who aren't having problems, but don't feel the need to flood the forum with "My car is running smoothly" posts. Like my statistics teacher always said in respect to surveys: "garbage in means garbage out." It's voluntary response bias, so you will really only see extreme opinions when it comes to something like this.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:54 PM
vova151

I have to agree with Raptor. I love my car...and I really mean love it. I talking lose my breath when I look at it love, but I don't really think anyone want to see:

Day 56 The car ran perfectly yet again!

Check the dates on the posts you might find that they are older posts, that or the cars in question were some of the first. I took delivery of my car 12/27 and I don't even have a BOSE problem (that I notice). Buying the car was the best decision that I have made, I would hate to think that someone would miss out on the opportunity to own a new 350 because of a few negative posts.

My 2.5 cents
Old 02-04-2003, 05:07 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

Ya true on the dates and all. I guess the thing that bugs me the most is the issues people seem to be having with the tires though. And why in gods name would you want a BOSE system anyway. Hell take the money you would have spent on that and put in a system yourself
Old 02-04-2003, 05:09 PM
johnbradley

I also agree with few if any problems. I have a Touring with Auto trans. and it runs as smooth as my Lexus. My Bose fix has been ordered and when it comes in they are checking on my allignment so we can be sure there are no problems-all paid by Nissan! By the way is everyone who has the auto. trans. as pleased as I am?
Old 02-04-2003, 05:24 PM
DriveI65

I understand how you could feel that problems were endemic. I would get in my car and keep waiting for the seat to move or the car to track to the right... but nothing in 3100 miles. It's a Performance and I agree with the name wholeheartedly.

I've felt a bit paranoid about the problems posted but I really appreciate all of you who keep us informed and I'm learning to relax. My favorite part of the day is getting into the Z and going somewhere.

Old 02-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by johnbradley
I also agree with few if any problems. I have a Touring with Auto trans. and it runs as smooth as my Lexus. My Bose fix has been ordered and when it comes in they are checking on my allignment so we can be sure there are no problems-all paid by Nissan! By the way is everyone who has the auto. trans. as pleased as I am?
I am and I put tgether the problems list. You know I am picky, if you read it. My problems are all fixed, including my tire problems. The Bose sounds fine after the amp and head unit replacement and the 5AT has been perfect. No rattles, very little bounce and the car accelerates and handles great. I have no issues at all.

Boomer
Old 02-04-2003, 05:32 PM
johnbradley

Boomer-can I ask for your advice on when the Dealer does the allign ment? Is it enough to have him do a check on this and look at the numbers? Should I also have the arms checked for tie down damage or will this come out with the allignment numbers? Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-04-2003, 06:13 PM
CAR2

I think the bugs will get progressivley ironed out - what I would be interested in is those people who have bought cars in the last 3 months - have they had any problems? I'm going to get the alignment checked on delivery tho.

Actually the dealer is on the ball here in OZ. They have offered to let me be present for the whole predelivery check - I can drive the car so that no one else drives it. I don't really mind a mechanic checking it out but it sounds Ok to be present as I used to be a mechanic in another life (before 4 years of night school accounting degree). Apparently most of the prospective owners here in OZ don't want ANYONE driving their cars - even the dealers.....
Old 02-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by johnbradley
Boomer-can I ask for your advice on when the Dealer does the allign ment? Is it enough to have him do a check on this and look at the numbers? Should I also have the arms checked for tie down damage or will this come out with the allignment numbers? Thanks in advance!!
John, I'm no expert on alignment. I just explained to my service writer whom I've dealt w/for yrs, some of the problems we have been having w/people's Z's just on this site. Randy called a couple of days after I asked for the camber and caster readings and he sat down w/the tech and told him about my concerns that the toe-in adjustment might not be enough. Camber and caster could jump up and bite us in the near future and I did not want to ruin my new tires w/1600 miles on them.

For now, mine are ok and I thanked him for his diligence on my behalf. He reminded me that all bets could be off, if I hit a curb real hard and we laughed, but its a valid point we all need to remember. I will be watching my tire wear patterns and I just bought a small portable rechargeable air compressor at Home Depot for $39.95, so I can check my pressures often. Tell your dealer straight up what your concerns are and ask for the alignment report to be explained to you. It should not be a problem for them if they want to keep your business.

One issue I think needs to be up front; a lot of the problems have occured on the preorder cars, I would expect teething problems on a brand new car, especially the first ones. However, Nissan is still obligated to correct any and all problems and they may need a reminder of that from owners from time to time, if problems don't get repaired in a timely fashion.

Boomer--hope this helps, John.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:42 PM
johnbradley

Thanks again for the info. in this thread.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:53 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few comments...

Remember that most people will post to complain about something but won't post to say "I had another good day". I work in Tech Support and we receive 100+ problems every week, every couple of months we get a thank you letter. You would think by those stats the software is a POS. Not really, what happens is the happy customers don't call.

My experience :

A) BOSE TSB : amp ordered last wednesday, installed this AM while I waited. Sounds great for my taste.

B) Alignment : took it in, asked them to check, they adjusted Toe.

C) Tire preassure sensor : reprogrammed by dealer. solved.

And got a free oil change. Just turned 2000 miles today after two weeks and two days. The car runs and feels awesome.

I have felt the seat move a couple of times in the two weeks, on hard corners. Somebody posted a thread already on how to fix it.

I tell you what, I have had many other cars without the support of a comunity like this. At least here you can get the info you need. The Z community is one of the positive values of the car. A similar comunity exists for the VW at the Vortex web site.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Boomer

Default Re: A few comments...

Originally posted by slaponte
Remember that most people will post to complain about something but won't post to say "I had another good day". I work in Tech Support and we receive 100+ problems every week, every couple of months we get a thank you letter. You would think by those stats the software is a POS. Not really, what happens is the happy customers don't call.

My experience :

A) BOSE TSB : amp ordered last wednesday, installed this AM while I waited. Sounds great for my taste.

B) Alignment : took it in, asked them to check, they adjusted Toe.

C) Tire preassure sensor : reprogrammed by dealer. solved.

And got a free oil change. Just turned 2000 miles today after two weeks and two days. The car runs and feels awesome.

I have felt the seat move a couple of times in the two weeks, on hard corners. Somebody posted a thread already on how to fix it.

I tell you what, I have had many other cars without the support of a comunity like this. At least here you can get the info you need. The Z community is one of the positive values of the car. A similar comunity exists for the VW at the Vortex web site.
I think the Moderators and the Administration, along w/the Charter members and all the rest appreciate your comments. On their behalf, thank you for your statements.

Boomer/Keith
Old 02-04-2003, 07:17 PM
dbpoet

The only problem I've had so far, after 2 weeks is that I can't drive it as fast as I'd like around here because of the cops. Other than that everything works great!!!!!!!!

DB touring w everything except Nav
Old 02-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Wotnot

Default My Glacier Pearl (Canadian Performance Model)

was delivered to me a few weeks back. VIN number in the mid 12 k range......no shifting probs......no pulling....everything seems fine so far...and even the shifter seems quiet...although..I have never had it much over 4k

I am extremely satisfied.....and my Bose sounds just fine