Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattles and noises : the TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 07:29 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Rattles and noises : the TSB

I got a copy of the TSB for rattles and noises (thanks to Maroone_Mia!),. I am sorry but I am traveling and have not scanned it yet, I will early next week. In the mentime, these is what I read :

A) Passanger seatbelt is not been hanged properly. You don't just insert the belt behind the hook, you are supposed to insert the buckle (metal) itself behind the hook!

B) The passanger visor rattle comes from the light unit, the contact filament is too thin and rattles/makes noise. New light unit has a thicker filament. TSB directs dealer to replace the light.

C) In some cars the edge of the headliner can cause a noise against the windshield. I will ave to scan the TSB so you guys can see that. It talks about removing a couple of milimeters off the edge of the headliner.

There is no mention of the brake light noise, I am sure they will be glad to find out and add it to the list.

The TSB is very complete on how it defines the noises and also how to test for the particular noise.

Sorry, this is what I have so far. I will scan and post the TSB Monday or Tuesday...
Old 02-05-2003, 07:52 PM
slaponte

Default Ups, sorry, forgot one...

I for got one :

Seems the VDC unit (lower left side of dash, between the handle to open the fuel door and the steering column) might get loose in some cars. The solution is to go behind there and tigthen up the screws that hold it in place.

The TSB specifies the torque to use on the screws, if you want to wait. Or, see if it moves/rattles.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:14 PM
z461

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ups, sorry, forgot one...

Originally posted by slaponte
I for got one :

Seems the VDC unit (lower left side of dash, between the handle to open the fuel door and the steering column) might get loose in some cars. The solution is to go behind there and tigthen up the screws that hold it in place.

The TSB specifies the torque to use on the screws, if you want to wait. Or, see if it moves/rattles.
Haha, a screw actually fell off of my unit onto my foot.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

slaponte,

Thanks!!! Mine have a lot of rattle noise when revving hard, visor is one of them. Any TSB for shifter vibration, it is annoying.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:40 PM
uro279

Default Thanks slaponte

I found out where the rattle was coming from the rear-the jack!

When I went to the track, I removed the spare wheel and jack with tools to lighten the load. When I replaced it, I noticed that the jack was lose, but not the tools. I knew I had put it back in the way is was suppose to go, but it was loose. Well, sure enough, when I drive on rough road, the rear starts to rattle.

Solution: I thought of the solution concurrently as I was starting to read an excerpt from the manual. In order to keep the jack steady in place, you have to screw the jack *** clockwise in order to open it slightly to exert some pressure against the foam so that it won't move. I did this and, sure enough, rattle is gone!

I hope this helps someone out.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:17 AM
mattvols

I will have to try the seat belt rattle suggestion. Thank you. It has been driving me absolutely crazy!
Old 02-07-2003, 09:36 AM
JN350z

Angry Rattles

I have the most annoying rattle and have yet been unable to locate and fix. It is a very hard plastic sound that I get over small sharp bumps and when changing lanes at >75MPH. I'm in CA so we have those lane markers and when going over them I very often get a sharp, almost machine gun like rattle from the right rear (as near as I can tell) when crossing over the markers. I have checked the jack and tools, spare tire, etc. but everything seems to be firmly in place

My one and so far only attempt to have this service at my dealer resulted in a no fix but the addition of a buzz like rattle in/around the passenger door (no, not the seatbelt) which is triggered by deep bass in musi or rough but not boverly bumpy road conditions. It is pretty faint, but very annoying expecially in light of the fact it was introduced by the dealer in their attempt to fix the other rattle.

I have also recently noticed a slight shifting of the drivers seat when cornering. It is moving with a little "click" right an left on occasion. Again, very mionor but also very annoying.

If anyone has experienced similar nises and manged to fix them or have them fixed please let me know!

Thanks,
JN
Old 02-07-2003, 12:42 PM
DEMOman

I too suffer from a rattle from the rear... I'm going to run out to the parking lot to see if my jack is at fault.
Thanks for the tip.

Another annoyance is the seatbelt banging on the pillar.
I know you are supposed to secure it to the clip, but that is a pain in and itself.

I'm thinking someone needs to source a adhesive backed material that can be cut and applied to the area that the seatbelt bashes.

The material should bee something that looks like a mouse pad.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:35 AM
JN350z

Default rear rattle

Found out after some further research on this board and some investigation myself that the rear rattle I mentioned above in my car is indeed coming from the center brake light. I have not determined a permanent fix as yet, but a couple plastic "wobble" wedges are holding it firm at the moment and the noise is gone.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:37 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Can anyone send me the pdf of this document ? My dealership claims that they don't know of any tsb's issued for the Z and rattles. I have alot of rattle coming from the passenger's visor and the only fix now is to crank the stereo...very annoying when you have a passenger in the car. I would love to get this fixed...

Any help is appreciated.

Here is my email:
theonecoolee@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:20 PM
slaponte

I apologize. I said at the begining of the thread I would scan it... But, I have an old scanner that won't install on XP, so I can't get it to work...I'll see what I can do this weekend.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Blue350zCali

Click on the resource button underneath the My35z.Com logo. All of the TSB's are there.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:05 PM
DMONTE

The dealer located and repaired my rear rattle noise by lifting the rear hatch open and then lightly banging on the rear glass from the inside while it is up and then it can be isolated much easier that way it was my plastics surrounding the rear glass.

If anyone knows what the cause of the central dashboard rattle is please let me know. I have nothing in the navigation/ storage compartment but while driving it sounds like a plastic marble is loose under the three gauges
Old 08-25-2003, 06:20 AM
slaponte

I have a real bad rear "sqeek". I am convinced it is some of the stupid foam under the rear rubbing against some metal...

I am going to take spare tire and all possible foam out to see if it goes away, then put it back to see if I can locate it.

I still don't understand why they don't think that loose foam will make noise!
Old 08-25-2003, 06:24 AM
DMONTE

Did you try lifting the hatch and banging on it?
Old 08-26-2003, 08:44 AM
WashUJon

The LED cover on the front driver's-side of the dash, just under the windshield seems to be rattling in my car. It might even be the dash rattling against the glass, but I think its just the plastic cover over the security warning LED. I hesitate to bring this up with my dealer, because I hate bringing my car there more than I have to, but a TSB that mentions this or other rattles might help a lot.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:46 AM
DMONTE

WashUJon

you were exactly right, except it's the one on the right side in my car, I had a friend sitting in that passenger seat listen and they found it by pushing the cover down on the L. E. D. light. The sound seemed to have been coming from the center of the dashboard from the driver side but it wasn't it was all the way on the passenger inside. I wonder if I should fix it myself or have the dealer do it? Another weird thing was that it was temperature sensitive only when the dashboard was very hot would it start to rattle.

Thanks
DMonte
Old 08-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Justin

My cupholder/center storage door makes this clicking noise when I'm going over bumps... it's pretty freaking annoying. I can reproduce the click just by putting a little pressure on the top of the door. Anyone else have this problem? Or even better, a fix?

Justin
Old 11-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have a metal on metal sound coming from under the car?