Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Going to dealer - What to ask for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 04:40 AM
jeffa55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to dealer - What to ask for?

Well, I am going to be bringing my car into the dealer next week to have them look at the 'clicking' sound in my transmission (occurs when the car is moving and I depress the cluch pedal) and I wanted to get input on other things I should have them look at. I am always hesitant in bringing the car in because I am afraid that it will get a dent or scratch and that they will take it for their 'road test' (I am going to specifically tell them that I do NOT want the car 'road tested'). The car only has 500 miles on it and thus should not be driven hard.

Anyway, I was going to definitely ask them to check the alignment, but is there definitely a TSB out about it?? I am afraid that I am going to tell them to check it and they are going to give me the old 'no, we have not heard about that problem' thing...

Any input on other things to have them look at would be appreciated (and please let me know if there is a corresponding TSB so my dealer won't give me a hard time).

I have a 6spd Performance model and I have not experienced any 3rd gear grind.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:32 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It seems

there might be a TSB out there about the alignment, but I heard it only covers the front.

One way to ask them to check, is to tell them it pulls right. This will make them check the Toe.

My approach was more direct. I told Mike (service advisor) that I heard there are problems with Toe and I want it checked before the tires get damaged. He said "no problem" and that was that.

Now, the machine they use spits out a report, a nice drawing of the frame with the settings BEFORE and AFTER any adjustment. You can ASK for a copy of it. That way you can see if they changed anything, and by how much, and you know they DID check it and are not giving you some bull.

As bad as some places are, some others are very good. Instead of aproachign them with bad expectations, give them a chance to do the right thing.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:16 AM
A17Z

For the alignment issue there is no TSB yet but it is in the making. Ask them to talk to to their Nissan Tech Line and they should be able to tell the dealer what to do. I think if your car is built on Sept 18 and before, your car is affected.

As for your trany problem, let us know what happends. I have the same thing on my car.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:52 PM
KCZ

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by A17Z
For the alignment issue there is no TSB yet but it is in the making. Ask them to talk to to their Nissan Tech Line and they should be able to tell the dealer what to do. I think if your car is built on Sept 18 and before, your car is affected.
Where can you find the "build date" for your car? Or do you know what VIN's were built before Sept. 18?
Old 02-21-2003, 02:17 PM
slaponte

Default The build date is

on the sticker on your driver door frame.

Mine says 08/2002
Old 02-21-2003, 02:26 PM
KCZ

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The build date is

Originally posted by slaponte
on the sticker on your driver door frame.
Mine says 08/2002
Thanks. Mine is 10/02, so hopefully no problems with the alignment.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:20 AM
jeffa55

Well (as usual) the car isn't making the noise now, so I put the dealer trip on hold... this actually turned out to be a good thing as the weather here has turned bad... I'll keep you all posted when I do go in...
Old 02-25-2003, 12:02 PM
slaponte

Default KCZ,

there was a notion that the alignment issue had to do with the way they strap down the cars for shipping. I am not sure if this panned out or not, but then the build date would not have anything to do with it.

The question is easy : if you wait, and the toe-in is wrong, the tires will get damaged. Even if you correct the problem later, you will then be fighting them for tires.

This is what I told them. I think it is much better to check the toe now, than to pay for tires later. This made perfect sense to the warranty dealer and the service advisor.

My Toe had to be adjusted FRONT AND BACK... better safe than sorry.