Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ride Problem? Call..............

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 02:28 PM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is needed is part numbers. Anybody got a contact in Europe that could provide the part numbers?

Then check those against the part number for US versions. If I get part number I may go back to Lemon law a request a fix for the suspension problem pointing out that Nissan has changed part number to correct "a problem".

The way manufacturing goes, is it possible to get a "2003 / 2004" Z, if changes are minor, for example working in new dampers (struts) when old supply runs out and prior to start of 2004 production. So "Pit Bull" may have a full 2004 suspension or some combination of 2003 and 2004 parts.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NNA NO SATISFACTION ADDENDUM

Originally posted by offlogic
I forgot to mention what else Pearl of NNA told me. She said that I was the first person to complain about the suspension problem to her. After I caught my breath and picked myself up off the floor etc. etc. You can imagine what I said. I advised her to check in on this site but I don't think anyone at NNA would officially admit to reading any website posts. Are we THAT small a group of dissatisfied Z owners? I am beginning to think so. This is starting to read like the Emporers new clothes. This site is so big that I wish there were a way of asking all of the correspondents just what there take is. I guess its every man and woman for himself.
Ciao
Not quite. Mindfullin has a list of disgruntled 2003 owners and he is ready to start faxing their gripes to every Nissan Management site in the World, literally. Feel free to send him an e-mail if you want, he'll welcome it. I just told him what you found out at NNA.

NNA has been stringing/lying TO us about/this issue for too long, the last time this happened the #1 at NNA got ****-canned.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by spn350z
What is needed is part numbers. Anybody got a contact in Europe that could provide the part numbers?

Then check those against the part number for US versions. If I get part number I may go back to Lemon law a request a fix for the suspension problem pointing out that Nissan has changed part number to correct "a problem".

The way manufacturing goes, is it possible to get a "2003 / 2004" Z, if changes are minor, for example working in new dampers (struts) when old supply runs out and prior to start of 2004 production. So "Pit Bull" may have a full 2004 suspension or some combination of 2003 and 2004 parts.
I saw this happen with lift pumps on Cummins turbo diesel, carter kept modifying them and never even changed the part number. Contact at carter showed 11 modifications in 4 years and Dodge or Carter or Cummins never admitted to a problem. Most TDR members ended up coming up with their own solutions. Some members just installed fuel pressure gauges and waited for them to start to fail and then took them to the dealer for replacement under warranty. My take would be if you don't like the way your Z rides you need to come up with your own solution for the ride that you like. Reason I say that is you can't prove it is bad it is just different. Some may like it some may hate it.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Grommit

Default Re: NNA AIN'T GIVING NO SATISFACTION

Hopefully i can get this all in before this bounces me out again.
Called a dealer sales person and asked if they have any 2004 Z's. Yes he replies. Any changes over the 2003, no he says, only a price increase. Then I call NNA, I speak to a nice lady named Pearl. I ask her the same question, she says I have to check. I give her my old case number regarding the putrid suspension system. She comes back on the line and informs me that the only change for 2003 is THE SUSPENSION SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They changed to the EUROPEAN SUSPENSION SYSTEM FOR 2004.

Do you think she said that they changed the suspension system for 04 BECAUSE you told her you filed a complaint about the suspension in your 03 car? As in was she just saying that in a feeble attempt to save face for Nissan?

What exactly were her words? If they did infact change the suspension for 04 I take it it hasn't fixed the pulling to the right issue and perhaps not the tire feathering issue as well since there have been posts by 04 owners about it.

*sigh*

Dammit Nissan! Dont make me wait for the supra!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:37 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting answer from Carter Thompson who runs DA Konis on his Z in SCCA AutoX. Boomer this is for you. Here is the link:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

Can you tell us if you experienced the bounce with the stock suspension? Did the DA Konis fix the problem?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I had the "Bounce" with the stock shocks. The First Koni set up that I had on the car eliminated the "Bouce" completly. I was very happy with the first Koni set up. Although I did get them re-vavled ( alot stiffer ) to improve my set up with the front bar I am trying to use. I would wait untill the SA's are availible, I am sure you will be pleased with them. Koni shocks are by far one of the best aftermarket shocks out there. I would not waste my money on the NiSMO set up or any type of coil over suspension for a street car that you plan to drive frequently.

CT
5 time Pro Solo class champion
2003 350Z Auto-X
1974 260Z

Last edited by jmark; 10-23-2003 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by jmark
Interesting answer from Carter Thompson who runs DA Konis on his Z in SCCA AutoX. Boomer this is for you. Here is the link:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....5&pagenumber=2

Can you tell us if you experienced the bounce with the stock suspension? Did the DA Konis fix the problem?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I had the "Bounce" with the stock shocks. The First Koni set up that I had on the car eliminated the "Bouce" completly. I was very happy with the first Koni set up. Although I did get them re-vavled ( alot stiffer ) to improve my set up with the front bar I am trying to use. I would wait untill the SA's are availible, I am sure you will be pleased with them. Koni shocks are by far one of the best aftermarket shocks out there. I would not waste my money on the NiSMO set up or any type of coil over suspension for a street car that you plan to drive frequently.

CT
5 time Pro Solo class champion
2003 350Z Auto-X
1974 260Z
Thanks, Mark. I feel better about spending more money to know it will be well-spent. I won't be doing much driving until the Konis are available, so will them here quickly, huh?
Old 10-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Pit Bull
I saw this happen with lift pumps on Cummins turbo diesel, carter kept modifying them and never even changed the part number. Contact at carter showed 11 modifications in 4 years and Dodge or Carter or Cummins never admitted to a problem. Most TDR members ended up coming up with their own solutions. Some members just installed fuel pressure gauges and waited for them to start to fail and then took them to the dealer for replacement under warranty. My take would be if you don't like the way your Z rides you need to come up with your own solution for the ride that you like. Reason I say that is you can't prove it is bad it is just different. Some may like it some may hate it.
You are correct, PB. jmark just sent me a candygram from a Koni user and it is my plan to switch to street struts as soon as they are available. Konis will give me a ride with the rebound control I need. All it takes is more $.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Pit Bull

$$$ I know what you mean, just put a set of Old Man Emu shocks on my 95 Landcruiser. Best you can buy for a Landcruiser and it rides better than new, but not cheap. What is the Koni solution going to cost?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:10 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by Pit Bull
$$$ I know what you mean, just put a set of Old Man Emu shocks on my 95 Landcruiser. Best you can buy for a Landcruiser and it rides better than new, but not cheap. What is the Koni solution going to cost?
From their usual prices, I hope $6-700 for all 4. The rears will be out first, the fronts will follow in a couple of months, I think.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:50 AM
jmark

Boomer,

Gordon still says early next year.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:30 AM
anxious

Default Re: NNA NO SATISFACTION ADDENDUM

I forgot to mention what else Pearl of NNA told me. She said that I was the first person to complain about the suspension problem to her. After I caught my breath and picked myself up off the floor etc. etc. You can imagine what I said. I advised her to check in on this site but I don't think anyone at NNA would officially admit to reading any website posts. Are we THAT small a group of dissatisfied Z owners? I am beginning to think so. This is starting to read like the Emporers new clothes. This site is so big that I wish there were a way of asking all of the correspondents just what there take is. I guess its every man and woman for himself.
Ciao
FYI, this is the same kind of response I got when I called NNA a couple months ago. The rep I spoke to told me that she hadn't heard any other complaints about the suspension. She already knew about my350z.com, but I didn't get the feeling she had ever looked at it. NNA customer service is either lying to us or is unbelievably dysfunctional. I vote for both.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:55 AM
Boomer

Boomer,

OK, Mark. I'll just wait it out.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Boomer

Boomer,

OK, Mark. I'll just wait it out.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:17 AM
dnguyent

Originally posted by Pooh2002
dnguyent,

The worst stretch of road I have found is 101 South from Menlo Park to Mountain View. The first time I drove that stretch was in commuter traffic going about 45 mph. The bounce was severe enough to give me a huge headache. I don't commute often in the Z and when I do, I plan to hit this stretch of road at low traffic times. If I drive 65 or faster, the bounce is significantly reduced.

Thanks Pooh2002,

I will try to hit that stretch next weekend, and will post my findings. I doubt it's going to be any different from your observations. And, I'll try to find another car with stiff suspension out there (Porsche, S2000, or Corvette) and compare.

I take it you have an '03?
Old 10-27-2003, 12:20 PM
jmark

I forwarded Carter's response to Gordon at Koni and here is his reply.

Mark,

Thanks for the forward. Carter is a class act and has helped us quite a bit with getting pieces ready for the 350Z. Thanks again.

Gordon
Old 11-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Bud

I've just returned from a trip to the coast (5hrs. @ way). After the last trip I have added Tein S-Tech springs, I chose the model for G-35 Cpe to give a lower spring rate. Also the I've changed the seats to Sparco Milanos. I've done some tests before and after with some homemade testing device to quantify the change in the ride. By feel it's much improved, my wife says 65%. However I feel the seats are responsible for 50% of the improvement. Anyway a 5hr. trip with few complaints over some fairly rough roads is going in the right direction. Now if someone will make some shocks/struts this problem may be solved for me
Old 11-11-2003, 08:49 PM
dnguyent

I've been doing some testing on concrete highways with my 2004 Enth.

By varying my speed, I've found that on the same stretch of highway, that bounce can get pretty unbearable at a certain speed ranges. For Hwy 50, going somewhere between 55 and 60 is horrible, but since I usually cruise at 70mph+, the oscillating bouncy ride is reduced significantly. I'm somewhat convinced that the '03's and '04's have the same suspension due to the observed behavior.

Whether this is normal for a firmly sprung sportscar, I don't know since this is my first sports car. My sportsbike, however, has the same bouncy characteristics, so that's all I have to compare with.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Bud

If you read this thread from the beginning you will note that several of us have owned sports cars for many years and that this ride characteristic is not common or necessary to make the handle well. In fact Road & Track testing the 350Z and the G35 coupe pulled higher lateral Gs in the softer suspended coupe than the Z.
To test I use a sisemic device and measure the output of the device driven over the same stretch of rough pavement and record the output at 4/sec. So far I've been able to improve my ride quality without any decernable drop in handling on the roads I drive at the speed I drive.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:11 AM
dnguyent

Originally posted by Bud
If you read this thread from the beginning you will note that several of us have owned sports cars for many years and that this ride characteristic is not common or necessary to make the .....
Actually, I have read from the beginning, and thought I had read that Pit Bull (or another member) commented on the similarities in ride and handling between the Z and his old NSX. And, what's up the the G35c getting higher lateral g's than a Z? Doesn't that pretty much sum up that a G35c can handle better on curves? That's kind of peculiar because the coupe is heavier and taller. On the other hand, I heard softer rear suspension helps in drag racing by improving grip...
Old 11-25-2003, 09:56 AM
offlogic

Default Driving the 2004 Z

My dealer salesman called me and wanted to know if I wanted to try out the 2004 Z. I sure did. After all the months of bitching and moaning I finally drove the Z that I should have gotten last year. For those curious the drive quality is excellent. None of the shivering bopping or jittering, but drives like I had expected mine should. I could be really offbase on this one, but it also seemed to me that the automatic I drove was more seamless through the gears. Altogether it was a much improved driving experience. Some nice tweaks inside with another outlet on the passenger side, extended adjustable hinges for the seatbelts so that it doesnt choke you, and extensions on the visors. The salesman said he would call his DM and see if he can get specific info about the suspension and what parts were affected. Whatever they are it sure makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Ride Problem? Call..............