Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ride Problem? Call..............

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:32 PM
wlee013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching the classified ads in our area and noticed that there have been quite a few used car ads for the 350z by our local infiniti dealer. I know the sales manager there and called him up to determine why in the last several months he had 10 used 350z's to sell. He mentioned that several drivers wanted to get into the G35C because the driver wanted the additional seating room, but most of the cars were being returned due to the bouncy ride between 70 - 80 miles per hour! Some cars traded in with less than 2,000 miles!
Old 08-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by wlee013
I have been watching the classified ads in our area and noticed that there have been quite a few used car ads for the 350z by our local infiniti dealer. I know the sales manager there and called him up to determine why in the last several months he had 10 used 350z's to sell. He mentioned that several drivers wanted to get into the G35C because the driver wanted the additional seating room, but most of the cars were being returned due to the bouncy ride between 70 - 80 miles per hour! Some cars traded in with less than 2,000 miles!
my Infiniti dealer has 2 low mileage Zs on his lot today. Traded for G35 Coupes.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:11 AM
YourMomma

Default Suspension Change?

All,
I saw in intersting quote in the September 2003 Issue of EVO Magazine (UK Sports Car Mag) about the Euro-Spec Z which I believe confirms suspension changes. See below:

Given that the suspension of the Japanese-spec car felt so stiff, its surprising to learn that the spring rates of the European-spec car are even higher. Akira Kikuchi, vehicle evaluation manager at NTCE explains that its the new dampers controlling them that make the difference, while the overall performance is helped by redesigned bump-stops, which are effective over a larger degree of suspension travel.

Anyone else think that Nissan has a resolution but is testing it in Europe first?!?

I'm posting this here since a few of us have said from the beginning we thought the suspension problem was a mismatch between shocks and springs. This seems to be evidence of a change to stiffer shocks with a wider range (think little bumps). The beginning of the article makes reference to the changes being more suitable for the UK's roads (think bad).

I'm also posting in the "Tire Feathering" thread.

For those interested the full artcile is here:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driven...ry.php?id=38909
Old 09-09-2003, 05:45 AM
offlogic

Default I TOLD YOU SO!

If you read back a few pages you will see our fellow poster RPT from Holland sent reprints of European pre-production hype that indicated there was going to be a significant difference between the US and Euro models re: the suspension issue. This was back in early summer. I offered reprints of these articles plus other articles and forum readers complaints to my dealer service manager. You can imagine their reply. "Car is performing as per manufactuers intent". BS! Nissan has turned their backs on the US Z owners and is stonewalling the issue while making sure that newer models finally address what they know to be a popular complaint. Unless somebody comes along with a really big stick Nissan ain't doin nothin! and we get to fit the bill with our own versions of a fix ala Koni, Tein HKS and whatall. Personnaly I think Koni might have the first reasonably priced fix available soon. I am sure other posters are staying right on top of this issue.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:10 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea many of us are waiting on Koni to release their SA Yellow Sport shocks late fall. Koni says it fixes the problem and works with the stock springs. To bad we gotta pay for it ourselves. Here is a link:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=39310

Let Koni know you are interested too!

Last edited by jmark; 09-09-2003 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:37 PM

But the bad news is I spoke to Koni yesterday, and they said no new shocks for the Z until next year!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by 10531178
But the bad news is I spoke to Koni yesterday, and they said no new shocks for the Z until next year!
Did they say why?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:36 PM

No.

All they said was that the shocks hadn't gone into production yet, and that it would probably be the beginning of next year before the first run was completed.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:48 AM
jmark

Last email I got from Gordon said.

Mark,

>Any updates as far as release dates or pricing on the Koni Sport Yellow SA
>for the 350Z?

We've gotten the order in and we're waiting for the first production run.

>Will you be at the Runoffs? I plan to be there.

Lee Grimes and Jay Fizer will be there but I will not be. I thought about going on my own but had something else come up. Thanks for writing.

Gordon
Old 09-10-2003, 08:41 AM
jmark

Here is what I got from Gordon at Koni today.

Gordon,

I am hearing from www.my350z.com members Koni will not have the 350Z SA Yellow Sport shocks till next year instead of late fall. Can you confirm or deny this?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

There is a chance that the shocks may not become available until after the first of the year but it still looks like they could be ready by late fall/ end of year. Please don't forget that these are estimates. The tooling and fixtures are being made for the first production run and this will have a huge effect on the exact release date. The whole "next year" thing was a bit of a fudge factor in case there are any delays that come up during the tooling. Without seeing the posting, I have a feeling that this wasn't mentioned. Thanks for writing.

Gordon
Old 09-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Bud

Default Koni Suspension

I've added my voice to the choir calling for some relief from Koni. I've had a sports car of one type or another for 30 years and this one is the best and worst of the lot. I have a 427 cobra replica with vette suspension that rides and handles better. So until a solution is found this will remain a very low mileage Z. But it will remain here NOT FOR SALE.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:45 AM
YourMomma

Did everyone give up?!?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:49 AM
offlogic

Originally posted by YourMomma
Did everyone give up?!?
If you mean trying to get satisfaction from Nissan, probably most of us have. I personally run hot and cold not having the time to get up a class-action encounter with Nissan. I did suggest a group response from this website but not many were interested. I tried with my dealer and the service manager knows that I am plenty unhappy about the choppy annoying suspension. We have gone over it any number of times, but he is a Nissan dealer employee and just spouts the company line. Nissan is basically shoving it down everyones throat and stonewalling the issue. You won't really wont know what their fix will be until the next model year where I would bet the farm that a different suspension setup will be available. In the meantime I will probably go the Koni route when available having first gotten some assurances from Koni that it will provide a significant (read better) ride quality. I dont know if our kidneys will hold out much longer.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:00 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by YourMomma
Did everyone give up?!?
On the terrible ride or ? I will not buy S-Tune from Nissan, so Konis are my first choice to cure the bounce. With the tires wearing abnormally on many cars, the pressure is building against Nissan to fix the cars or the press is the next step for many. It galls me to have to pay twice for a decent sports car ride, even Road and Track has some problems. In their recent article, 2 of the editors will no longer drive their long-term test Z because of the harsh ride and noisy cabin. The noise isn't an issue for me, but the suspension is for 2003s and Nissan won't help with anything but new tires.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:31 AM
jmark

I haven't given up. Still waiting on Koni or S-Tune. I agree with a previous post by Boomer the Z rides a lot better when full of gas.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Bud

Well I have not given up. I've been reading the posts from most of the suspension related topics. Seems to me that those posting break down into at least two groups: those wanting the car ride more comfortable with good handling and those wanting the car to handle even better without too much concern about the ride. As for myself I've order some springs with a progressive rate that are actually made for the G35 coupe. If this dosen't work I'm looking into the Tein CS system. Another factor at least for my wife and I is the seats in our touring model, like the suspension okay for short rides nothing I'd want to tour in. I'm looking into aftermarket seats as soon as I work out the airbag issue.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:36 PM
offlogic

Originally posted by Bud
Well I have not given up. I've been reading the posts from most of the suspension related topics. Seems to me that those posting break down into at least two groups: those wanting the car ride more comfortable with good handling and those wanting the car to handle even better without too much concern about the ride. As for myself I've order some springs with a progressive rate that are actually made for the G35 coupe. If this dosen't work I'm looking into the Tein CS system. Another factor at least for my wife and I is the seats in our touring model, like the suspension okay for short rides nothing I'd want to tour in. I'm looking into aftermarket seats as soon as I work out the airbag issue.
FYI I spoke to a Koni rep (mentioned in earlier posts by others) who told me that Koni thought the springs on the Z were actually okay and that their take on the problem was directed at the shocks. You might want to check this out. Also in an earlier posting by a fellow who installed the Tein system advised that this would probably not solve the problem for those who objected to the jostling bumpy ride. Also my wife can empathise with your wife as to the length of time she can stand to be in the Z. A couple of hours on a sunny day is about her limit. Although she has my blessings she won't even drive it. I think I will probably go the Koni route but may wait until I hear some responses from others.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by offlogic
FYI I spoke to a Koni rep (mentioned in earlier posts by others) who told me that Koni thought the springs on the Z were actually okay and that their take on the problem was directed at the shocks. You might want to check this out. Also in an earlier posting by a fellow who installed the Tein system advised that this would probably not solve the problem for those who objected to the jostling bumpy ride. Also my wife can empathise with your wife as to the length of time she can stand to be in the Z. A couple of hours on a sunny day is about her limit. Although she has my blessings she won't even drive it. I think I will probably go the Koni route but may wait until I hear some responses from others.
All I want is some rebound control and slighly less compression on the struts. That is exactly what Mark talked to Gordon at Koni about and that is their direction. I don't need comfy, I'll be first in line for their struts. If the ride is too soft, I can always get some urethane bushings for the stock anti-roll bars or different bars. I don't think I'll need them.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Pit Bull

It's funny how everything is relative. I owned a Dodge 3500 4x4 dually with a Cummins Turbo diesel engine that I traded in on the 350Z, big difference in ride. My other vehicle is a 95 Toyota Landcruiser with solid axles front and rear. I don't know if I will ever notice a bounce with the Z. I'm sure all you guys are correct, but if you want to understand why I don't notice it go to the local Dodge dealer and drive a 3500 4x4. I got to say that this Z is just plain fun and drives like a race car to me. But I am all for you guys getting Nissan to give me even a better riding Z.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Pit Bull
It's funny how everything is relative. I owned a Dodge 3500 4x4 dually with a Cummins Turbo diesel engine that I traded in on the 350Z, big difference in ride. My other vehicle is a 95 Toyota Landcruiser with solid axles front and rear. I don't know if I will ever notice a bounce with the Z. I'm sure all you guys are correct, but if you want to understand why I don't notice it go to the local Dodge dealer and drive a 3500 4x4. I got to say that this Z is just plain fun and drives like a race car to me. But I am all for you guys getting Nissan to give me even a better riding Z.
I understand coming from a truck, you don't see what some of us do. You're right, the Z is set up like a race car, IMO. Great for a weekend track or strip car, not so great for a daily driver. I owned a 1972 240Z that worked fine as a daily driver, but the 350Z is way stiffer and harsh riding, as some staffers at R&T have noted in their longterm test car. Some like it, I don't, and neither do some others.

I plan to change to Koni struts with less compression and more rebound control when they come out in January or sooner. The ride will improve and won't be sloppy, but it will not be harsh, just better controlled with a very firm ride. You don't need a ride like a slammed Civic to be a sports car, Porsche, BMW, Toyota have demonstrated that in their cars.

Quick Reply: Ride Problem? Call..............