Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ride Problem? Call..............

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 04:52 AM
sgraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trading cars! Ouch. I agree the ride is a huge problem and I thought of it too but you would eat at least $5k in the transaction. My dealer, Gerald Nissan in Naperville IL gave me an extra year on my warranty and have been good about listening to me rant.

Everyone who reads this who has NOT called to complain and open a file:

Nissan Tech Line: 1-800-647-7261, 0 for operator
Old 03-13-2003, 04:59 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sgraham
Trading cars! Ouch. I agree the ride is a huge problem and I thought of it too but you would eat at least $5k in the transaction. My dealer, Gerald Nissan in Naperville IL gave me an extra year on my warranty and have been good about listening to me rant.

Everyone who reads this who has NOT called to complain and open a file:

Nissan Tech Line: 1-800-647-7261, 0 for operator
Word! Nissan can't & won't fix what they don't know about.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:13 PM
jmark

Interesting thread by a fellow member who just installed Eibach springs and has pics of the stock springs. Might be on to something. Does anyone know if the NISMO springs are progressive?
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....111#post233111
Old 03-17-2003, 10:27 AM
VR3

Question

Does the G35c have this problem? What's it set-up?
Old 03-17-2003, 10:50 AM
jmark

Originally posted by jmark
Interesting thread by a fellow member who just installed Eibach springs and has pics of the stock springs. Might be on to something. Does anyone know if the NISMO springs are progressive?
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....111#post233111
It appears the NISMO springs are progressive too.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:50 PM
fotodad

Default COUNT ME IN!

I live in Wisconsin where the roads can be a bit rough. Yes, I took the car for a test drive before I bought it. Yes, I can live with the uncomfortable ride (the Z has so many more positive qualities) if I must. But if this shock/spring issue is a design flaw then Nissan should pay to rectify the problem. I'm also unhappy with their choice of tires. But that's a seperate issue. I'm calling Nissan tomorrow. Since the weather's gotten warmer in Wisconsin, I have noticed the ride has improved a bit. I'm going to try the tire pressure trick tomorrow. Can any harm be done if I drive with them at 24 psi for any length of time? Also, those people waiting to hear from their dealers about this issue, please, please, please post their/your findings as soon as you get them. I can't stand waiting.

About the streaking on the windows. I get the roller streak on both windows. I understand this is a warranty issue that the dealership fixes without hassle. My worry is once the door is taken apart does it cause door rattle issues later? Anyone who has had the window streaks fixed by their dealer, please email (messlinger@new.rr.com) with how satisfied you are with the repair job. Have you experienced rattles or squeeks since they fixed the streaking?

Thanks so much!!
Michael
Old 03-17-2003, 04:24 PM
jmark

Interesting quote in the new spring issue of Sport Z Magazine in the Gears section written by Brian Long. The title is NISMO and the quote is "NISMO has developed a softer suspension package which allows the vehicle to ride the bumps better while giving it flatter cornering characteristics." I guess that is why they went with progressive springs vs. the stock ones.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:28 PM
fotodad

Interesting quote in the new spring issue of Sport Z Magazine in the Gears section written by Brian Long. The title is NISMO and the quote is "NISMO has developed a softer suspension package which allows the vehicle to ride the bumps better while giving it flatter cornering characteristics." I guess that is why they went with progressive springs vs. the stock ones.
Mark,
Thanks for the info. How/where can I get a copy of "Sport Z Magazine"?
Old 03-17-2003, 04:31 PM
jmark

I got a subscription online. Try www.sportzmagazine.com
Old 03-18-2003, 06:18 AM
Pedal Pusher

Default The G35c rides like..........

I test drove my 350z back to back with a G35c and there is not one "bounce" in the G35c. The test was done on exactally the type road that causes the problem. Both cars had the 225/50,235/50 tire package. I wish there was a way to learn what the spring/shock differences are.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:13 AM
fotodad

Default Re: The G35c rides like..........

Originally posted by Pedal Pusher
I test drove my 350z back to back with a G35c and there is not one "bounce" in the G35c. The test was done on exactally the type road that causes the problem. Both cars had the 225/50,235/50 tire package. I wish there was a way to learn what the spring/shock differences are.
Pedal Pusher,
Just got off the phone with Nissan concerning the "bounce" issue. I'm sorry to say they weren't much help...only that there were no current recalls. While the G35c and Z share tire sizes do they share the same brand tire? If not, I wonder what the G35c has on it from the factory? These stock Bridgestones are worthless.

Has ANYONE who has a positive relationship with their dealer heard back from them on this issue? If so, what solutions did they recommend? Unfortunately, those who say not to buy a car in its first year of production because not all the bugs are worked out, I beginning to think are absolutely right. I'm already starting to wonder what my current Z will be worth on a trade-in for a 2004 Z. While some Z owners out there are the first to scream "It's a sports car! Get over it!" you can bet the 2004 models will not share this same "bouncy sports car" ride that the 2003s have. Until the 2004 models arrive it looks like I'll just have to cope. I seriously doubt Nissan is going to do anything about this issue. No one has died. Why should they care about a bouncy ride?
Old 03-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Pedal Pusher

Default fotodad re G35c ride

You asked if the tires are the same on the G35c. Great question and I'm about 90% sure they were the same tire. I had the Infiniti salesman with me and he actually thought something was wrong with my car. I agreed with him!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:40 AM
jmark

I thought the G35 comes with Michelins. Probably has softer springs too. I wonder if they are progressive springs.....

Last edited by jmark; 03-18-2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:02 AM
fotodad

I thought the G35 comes with Michelins. Probably softer spring too. Can you say progressive springs.....
I can say it, but I have no idea what it means or why I'm saying it
Old 03-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Boomer

Default Re: fotodad re G35c ride

Originally posted by Pedal Pusher
You asked if the tires are the same on the G35c. Great question and I'm about 90% sure they were the same tire. I had the Infiniti salesman with me and he actually thought something was wrong with my car. I agreed with him!
The G35 Coupe was tested w/Michelins in the car mags, however, the Infiniti IS300 I looked at recently had the 040s, but the G35 Coupes had Michelins. A curiousity, some months ago a State Z Club President, asked a Nissan engineer why The Bridgestones came on the new Zs, when they were tested with Michelins. The Nissan engineer said it was because the 040s had better turnin. So, if I got the correct info, Michelins were originally the OE equipment on the Z, not the 040s and they may be putting them on several Infinitis now. Mistakes repeated would be pretty stupid, but owners are receiving the brushoff anyway. I would not accept any car with the 040s, no matter the application.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by fotodad
I can say it, but I have no idea what it means or why I'm saying it
I am not an expert, but progressive springs are soft in regular driving, but tighten up for agressive driving. The ride is better in most situations for anyone who drives on public roads and the handling is dramatically better with the proper dampers and progressive springs, usually.

Non-progressive springs are not considered to be as responsive but end up as OE equipment in most applications, I believe. Our Zs seem to have received non-progressive springs, inadequate rebound shocks and poor tires. With decent replacements, the Z should be awesome. It has been remarkable the Z has performed so well.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:34 AM
VR3

Last I checked the G35c comes with Michelin Pilot Sport, 225/45/18 ft and 245/45/18 rear.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by VR3
Last I checked the G35c comes with Michelin Pilot Sport, 225/45/18 ft and 245/45/18 rear.
That fits with my info. Thanks, VR3.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:21 PM
jmark

Originally posted by Boomer
I am not an expert, but progressive springs are soft in regular driving, but tighten up for agressive driving. The ride is better in most situations for anyone who drives on public roads and the handling is dramatically better with the proper dampers and progressive springs, usually.

Non-progressive springs are not considered to be as responsive but end up as OE equipment in most applications, I believe. Our Zs seem to have received non-progressive springs, inadequate rebound shocks and poor tires. With decent replacements, the Z should be awesome. It has been remarkable the Z has performed so well.
It seems NISMO agrees with you if you have $1600 lying around. I think I am still leaning this way. I am still waiting on the response from my dealers contact.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Pedal Pusher

Default G35c info

The G35c does have a base model that does have 17" wheels and that is the one I drove. Also, I just learned that the G35c shocks are designed to have less rebound than the 350z. That should solve some of the problem. We "think" they will fit with no problems.

I have always felt the stock springs are non progressive. However, they do have a small progressive coil on the first coil. If you look closely at the pics you will see it. The same soruce explained that the mounting bases are designed to be somewhat progressive. None are as truely progressive as Eibach. It sounds like Eibach springs and G35c shocks would be a good test.

Quick Reply: Ride Problem? Call..............