Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ride Problem? Call..............

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 04:56 PM
vance45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommened roads to test for bounce in Chicago's NW subs?

My first and only experience with the bounce was on I294/80 west near the ILL/IN border with 1800 miles on the Z at the time. I now have about 2700 miles and have not experience any bounce since the first time, but I have not been back on I294/80.

I have just installed a set of Eibach springs and I would like to test them out on a road that causes the Z to bounce. Preferably some where in the NW suburbs.

thanks,

Vance
Old 04-20-2003, 05:05 PM
happypants

Default Re: Recommened roads to test for bounce in Chicago's NW subs?

Originally posted by vance45
My first and only experience with the bounce was on I294/80 west near the ILL/IN border with 1800 miles on the Z at the time. I now have about 2700 miles and have not experience any bounce since the first time, but I have not been back on I294/80.

I have just installed a set of Eibach springs and I would like to test them out on a road that causes the Z to bounce. Preferably some where in the NW suburbs.

thanks,

Vance
Most concrete sections of I-355, I-88, and I-294. Northbound on I-294 starting from 95th street all the way to the I-290 ramps is a good long stretch.

By Hoffman Estates, go up the hill on Route 59 starting at Shoe Factory road going north, around 50-55mph. This is the bridge over I-90/94. Your car should be bouncing like a Waverunner.

I've found the car does this on pretty much any concrete road that has made it through at least one Chicago winter, and you need to go around 50MPH or faster for the bouncing to show up.

I just went over 1000 miles today and got to feel the full bounce effects and lack of ripple dampening driving the I-294 stretch mentioned above.

As for me I will get the Nismo S-Tune setup once it becomes available for official install by Nissan dealers in the U.S.

Last edited by happypants; 04-20-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:14 PM
UFO

Just scanned this thread...like a dog chasing its tail.

I picked up my Z ordered on Friday. It was made last month according to the sticker inside the door. While it does have a pretty stiff and sporty ride (as I expected) I'm not experiencing any, what I would consider, abnormal bounce or porpoising (sp?). At highway speeds the ride is actually quite good for such a stiff setup.

It feels like a two seat sports car that handles like its on rails...as it does.

Note: UFO is not a suspension expert, he's just passing on what his *** is telling him.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:17 AM
YourMomma

Originally posted by UFO
Just scanned this thread...like a dog chasing its tail.

...I'm not experiencing any, what I would consider, abnormal bounce or porpoising (sp?). At highway speeds the ride is actually quite good for such a stiff setup.

Note: UFO is not a suspension expert, he's just passing on what his *** is telling him.
What you need to do is find an interstate that has a concrete section, not asphalt. If you don't notice it on this type of roadway then you don't have the problem.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:20 PM
vance45

Happypants,

I just tested the 90/94 bridge on route 59 at ~60 mph. I guess the Eibachs did their job(mostly), because I only felt a couple of minor bounces. These bounces were nothing like what I experienced on I294.

I have also tested route 72, all of EOE, and route 58. None of these had the bounce. I will check I88 and I355 later this week.

Vance
Old 04-22-2003, 02:41 PM
sgraham

That is very good news. I travel those roads all the time. Suspension has softened but still bouncy. Where did you get the springs put in? I'm out in the western burbs btw. Thanks.
Steve
Old 04-22-2003, 03:29 PM
john.laninga

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No bounce for me

I now have 300 miles on my new 350Z touring with AT and 17" stock wheels, and I can't detect the bounce on any surface. Here in Texas we have a lot of concrete roads, and the soil underneath moves, so the surface undulates quite a bit. And yes, you notice it more in the Z than a soft sprung luxury cruiser, but nothing I find objectionable. On the few smooth blacktop roads the Z rides as smooth as can be, at any speed I've had it so far.

So maybe the newest Zs don't have the problem? I sure can't seem to see it....

John
Old 04-22-2003, 04:07 PM
irishfan

I drove the Illinois-Indiana I80/294 passage this weekend. The ride between the two toll plazas was horrendous, the worst I've experienced so far. There are a few sections of I65 in Indiana where I have similar bouncing, but nothing like that!

I've got 4000 miles on her now.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:52 PM
vance45

sgraham,

The dealers wanted $600; UltimateZ in Streamwood wanted $300; and Performance tuning(?) in Addison wanted $225. Neither of them had ever done spring installations on a Z33.

I decided to install them myself with the help of my brother-in-law. I had the service manual and he had all the tools. I paid him $75.

If you have air tools and torque wrenches, it's pretty easy to do.

irishfan,

Driving on I294/80 would be the ultimate test. I will test the Z there when I have enough patience and toll money to pay for 9-10 tolls.

Vance
Old 04-23-2003, 02:26 AM
john.laninga

Default No bounce for me

I now have 300 miles on my new 350Z touring with AT and 17" stock wheels, and I can't detect the bounce on any surface. Here in Texas we have a lot of concrete roads, and the soil underneath moves, so the surface undulates quite a bit. And yes, you notice it more in the Z than a soft sprung luxury cruiser, but nothing I find objectionable. On the few smooth blacktop roads the Z rides as smooth as can be, at any speed I've had it so far.

John
Old 04-23-2003, 04:49 AM
offlogic

Default Re: No bounce for me

Originally posted by john.laninga

John
If you read my earlier posts, the problem should be pretty obvious even on smooth blacktop. I don't experience this porpoising effect that some complain about, but rather a consistant choppy "pebbly" feel even on smooth roads. It is as if it has a case of the jitters. Reading other posts makes me wonder if there is more than one problem and also if Nissan has made some sort of adjustment along the way that they are not telling us as a group recall. Either way, the ride leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:54 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My update. I drove two Tracks yesterday. (Silverstone #5578 & PPW #9339) Both drove great w/o the bounce! The Silverstone has 692 miles on it!!! So I am leaning towards the PPW. More on that in a second. Something I have noticed in driving a total of 5 Z's now. The 18" wheels ride firmer as expected but don't seem to have the bounce the 17"s do. I have driven anyother Enthusiasts. Had the bounce. Every one of the Z's shift differently. Mine is kinda notchy. The two Tracks were very smooth. I went to school with the dealer owner and he has made me a reasonable offer to trade towards a Track (Invoice). After my trade in I am basically paying MSRP for the Track. I am leaning this way. My main reason for considering the deal is the bounce in my Enthusiast that NNA denys.........I don't really want to get into swapping wheels, tires & adding the NISMO kit right now.

Last edited by jmark; 04-25-2003 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:00 PM
danotto

My Z was manufactured 03/2003 and I have not noticed any of the problems listed in this thread. Sure, my ride is tight, but nothing that would indicate to me that there is a problem. I also do not have the window streaking problem as of yet. I wonder if some of these problems are already being addressed at the factory.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:56 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

My Z was built 3/03. I have noticed the bounce on 1 road. I already have 450 miles on a variety of roads. Only one road has the bounce and it was like Disneyland. Not sure what to make of that. I'll be watching for it from now on though.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:28 AM
happypants

vh.guitar,

can you post the last six digits of your VIN?
Old 05-09-2003, 11:22 PM
owen5150

I must be lucky as well, because I have not noticed this bounce problem you guys are mentioning. Mine is only a week old, but I've put nearly 400 miles on it in that one week. It definitely rides tight, but I don't feel any type of bounce, per se.

I'm not sure when mine was manufacured.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:34 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Manufacture date.

Originally posted by owen5150
I'm not sure when mine was manufacured.
The date of manufacture is listed on the mylar ID stciker of your car. Open the drivers door and the sticker is located right below the door latch on the door B-pillar.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:20 PM
TheLex

My car is a 1/03 mfgr date. And I have the jounce/bounce BIG TIME. In fact this thing is so annoying I can barely drive it right now on the interstate. I need to do something about it. I'm debating whether to go for the Eibachs and save the $$ or go full boat with the Nismo. I'd rather not spend the big bucks tho.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:57 PM
happypants

If you go the Eibach route, it is the cheapest, and you can probably tell from that if it is worth it to go to Nismo. If you decide to upgrade, you should be able to sell your Eibachs as long as you don't put a huge amt of miles on them.

And it looks like Nissan won't be changing anything soon, check the following:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....032#post302032
Old 05-13-2003, 08:51 AM
offlogic

Default track model ride quality

Originally posted by jmark
My update. I drove two Tracks yesterday. (Silverstone #5578 & PPW #9339) Both drove great w/o the bounce! The Silverstone has 692 miles on it!!! So I am leaning towards the PPW. More on that in a second. Something I have noticed in driving a total of 5 Z's now. The 18" wheels ride firmer as expected but don't seem to have the bounce the 17"s do. I have driven anyother Enthusiasts. Had the bounce. Every one of the Z's shift differently. Mine is kinda notchy. The two Tracks were very smooth. I went to school with the dealer owner and he has made me a reasonable offer to trade towards a Track (Invoice). After my trade in I am basically paying MSRP for the Track. I am leaning this way. My main reason for considering the deal is the bounce in my Enthusiast that NNA denys.........I don't really want to get into swapping wheels, tires & adding the NISMO kit right now.
I finally took my car in today for its first serious checkout since new. I had the manager go for a ride in my autotouring. He sort of concurred about the ride quality. I asked and took a ride in a new Track model to see if I could find any difference with the bigger tires. Aside from increased noise from the tires, I really couldn't detect much of a difference. Wish that were the answer for me, but I suspect that I will be doing something on my own down the road or just get rid of it. I will post when I get it back to see if I get any words of wisdom from the dealership.

Quick Reply: Ride Problem? Call..............