Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ride Problem? Call..............

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:18 AM
offlogic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my dealer response to choppy ride

Got my car back last week after test drive with shop manager. Everybody nice as can be. Verdict from shop technician; "everything is at factory specs". Nothing wrong according to dealer or Nissan. So no surprise there. Everybody wants me to be happy. I am not happy. My wife doesn't even want to ride in the Z. Bummer. I either get rid of it, or decide to put many thousands on a possible fix. Without any real guage as what constitutes a satisfactory fix I will be at the mercy of some suspension shop. I hear about the eibach fix, the coil-over fix, the Nismo fix, but they are all subjective unless Nissan admits to the problem and then gives us a positive direction as to what can be done about it.
Anybody have a real world solution to this?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Boomer

Default Re: my dealer response to choppy ride

Originally posted by offlogic
Got my car back last week after test drive with shop manager. Everybody nice as can be. Verdict from shop technician; "everything is at factory specs". Nothing wrong according to dealer or Nissan. So no surprise there. Everybody wants me to be happy. I am not happy. My wife doesn't even want to ride in the Z. Bummer. I either get rid of it, or decide to put many thousands on a possible fix. Without any real guage as what constitutes a satisfactory fix I will be at the mercy of some suspension shop. I hear about the eibach fix, the coil-over fix, the Nismo fix, but they are all subjective unless Nissan admits to the problem and then gives us a positive direction as to what can be done about it.
Anybody have a real world solution to this?
I can only tell you what I have done. At 1600 miles, I replaced the OE tires because their ride was unbearable to me. I bought Michelin A/Ss, but there are other, less expensive tires that fit the Z. Do you have 17 or 18" tires. The 17s may be part of the problem, 18s seem to ride better according to several owners. I have 17s and changing tires helped, but didn't cure the ride. I will be buying aftermarket shocks,$6-800 installed, when they are available.

I spent $1K on the tires, but you can pay a lot less going through Tire Rack.com or Discount Tire.com. for less expensive tires. How many miles do you have on the car? Some owners have driven 80+ mph over the lousiest pavement they could find and "broken in" the suspension, a mystery to me but it worked for them. If you want to spend over $1500 for a better ride, the HKS LS Coilovers seem good. Do a search, some owners have reported their impressions. Think about it, PM me back, and we can discuss it further if you like. I have to run an errand, but will be back in a couple of hours. You will lose over $5000 on the Z if you trade it now. Don't do it. It makes more sense to do changes.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:15 AM
jleighZ

I am starting to experience the bouncy ride now. At first I thought yall was crazy cause mine drove and felt just fine, now it bounces so badly that I can't even have a soda in there without it bouncing out of the dash cupholder. Guess I will be the next to call Nissan
Old 05-27-2003, 02:52 PM
RPT

Reading this "suspension"problems i understand why Nissan is changing a lot before shipping the first Z to Europe.

Under a summary of all the major changes on the Z version. Is taken from the OFFICIAL Q & A list they send me, and in their words. The official list is three pages and includes a lot of marketing BLA BLA.

A lots of work has been done on the American version of the 350Z in order to make sure that the car will meet the European "expectations" in terms of : car dynamics, perceived quality and feature developments.

- Technical/dynamic improvements : Aerodynamics improved (undertray + spoiler + front lip) for high speed stability, cooling improved (rear differential with fins air duct + larger radiator), suspension re-tuned in order to fulfill European high speed driving conditions, Improved NVH for high speed driving (C pillar + wheel arch), harsher acceleration response to improve G-feeling at full throttle in 5th and 6th speed (Motorway 120-200km/H acceleration feeling), force applied on front wipers has been increased

- PQ Improvements : centre console re-colour to black, soft touch paint applied on C-Cluster and power window escutcheons, foamed console box lid , knee pads on side of the centre console, upper console box with flocking (similar to the centre console box flocking).

- Feature Developments : Headlamp washers because of European regulation on Xenon Headlamps, Rear fog lamps in the rear bumper, new front and rear bumper to suit the license plate better, rear Tonneau cover to hide the gap between the strut bar and the trunk area, phone integration with voice activated device and steering wheel remote control functions , Alezan Orange leather interior re-tuned for European taste.

Why is the spoiler std on the European version?
To improve stability because of European high speed driving conditions. Undertray as also been added with front lip spoiler. Target is to reduce turbulence below the car to ensure high speed stability.

Safety

Advantages of Brembo brakes?
The aluminum opposed-piston caliper and large-diameter brake rotor which we have adopted (and which was already used on Skyline GTR 2) was supplied by internationally renowned Italian brake supplier Brembo to provide outstanding braking performance (power and stability) even at high speed and to ensure absence of brake fade.

Braking distances?
We always design the brake system with some competitor’s performance. So, we had some data information about them. 350Z stopping distance is one of the shortest distance in the same category.

Advantages of Xenon headlamps? Why is headlamp washer mandatory for Xenon?
Better lighting because close to day light, longer bulb life (durability), no visual tiredness.
Due to high intensity of lights, dirty headlamps could cause disturbance towards other drivers therefore headlamp washer is mandatory. Auto leveling is also mandatory due to intensity.

Safety elements, crash test?
ABS; EBD, ESP and BA as well as dual, side and curtain airbags std.
For rear impact, US standard is the most sever standard in the world. Furthermore, 350Z is evaluated under more sever condition than the US standard. For side impact, European standard is different from US standard, however, we adopted the high intensity body structure to meet each standard.

Why is there no navigation system available in Europe? If, yes, DVD type or not?
You will be able to order an after sales "DVD" navigation system.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by RPT
Reading this "suspension"problems i understand why Nissan is changing a lot before shipping the first Z to Europe.

Under a summary of all the major changes on the Z version. Is taken from the OFFICIAL Q & A list they send me, and in their words. The official list is three pages and includes a lot of marketing BLA BLA.

A lots of work has been done on the American version of the 350Z in order to make sure that the car will meet the European "expectations" in terms of : car dynamics, perceived quality and feature developments.

- Technical/dynamic improvements : Aerodynamics improved (undertray + spoiler + front lip) for high speed stability, cooling improved (rear differential with fins air duct + larger radiator), suspension re-tuned in order to fulfill European high speed driving conditions, Improved NVH for high speed driving (C pillar + wheel arch), harsher acceleration response to improve G-feeling at full throttle in 5th and 6th speed (Motorway 120-200km/H acceleration feeling), force applied on front wipers has been increased

- PQ Improvements : centre console re-colour to black, soft touch paint applied on C-Cluster and power window escutcheons, foamed console box lid , knee pads on side of the centre console, upper console box with flocking (similar to the centre console box flocking).

- Feature Developments : Headlamp washers because of European regulation on Xenon Headlamps, Rear fog lamps in the rear bumper, new front and rear bumper to suit the license plate better, rear Tonneau cover to hide the gap between the strut bar and the trunk area, phone integration with voice activated device and steering wheel remote control functions , Alezan Orange leather interior re-tuned for European taste.

To improve stability because of European high speed driving conditions. Undertray as also been added with front lip spoiler. Target is to reduce turbulence below the car to ensure high speed stability.

Safety

The aluminum opposed-piston caliper and large-diameter brake rotor which we have adopted (and which was already used on Skyline GTR 2) was supplied by internationally renowned Italian brake supplier Brembo to provide outstanding braking performance (power and stability) even at high speed and to ensure absence of brake fade.

Braking distances?
We always design the brake system with some competitor’s performance. So, we had some data information about them. 350Z stopping distance is one of the shortest distance in the same category.

Better lighting because close to day light, longer bulb life (durability), no visual tiredness.
Due to high intensity of lights, dirty headlamps could cause disturbance towards other drivers therefore headlamp washer is mandatory. Auto leveling is also mandatory due to intensity.

For rear impact, US standard is the most sever standard in the world. Furthermore, 350Z is evaluated under more sever condition than the US standard. For side impact, European standard is different from US standard, however, we adopted the high intensity body structure to meet each standard.

Why is there no navigation system available in Europe? If, yes, DVD type or not?
I would like to know what the suspension "retuning" is, the S-Tune suspension we are supposed to buy when NISMO finally arrives here? The US is the largest market in the world for the Z and we get the soft suspension and Europe gets the high performance suspension? This is an interesting comment on US vs. the rest of the world.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:12 AM
offlogic

Default European Document on Euro Z

Originally posted by RPT

Safety

Braking distances?

RPT, have you actually taken delivery of your Z and do you experience what we have been calling "choppy" ride characteristics? In what form are all of these changes detailed? Is this an official letter from Nissan detailing all of the actual differences between the American version and the Euro version? Is it possible to get a copy of this document via email?? If so I would really like to have the dealership respond to it!
Old 05-28-2003, 02:16 PM
RPT

To Offlogic:

In response of your questions and remarks: RPT, have you actually taken delivery of your Z and do you experience what we have been calling "choppy" ride characteristics? In what form are all of these changes detailed? Is this an official letter from Nissan detailing all of the actual differences between the American version and the Euro version? Is it possible to get a copy of this document via email?? If so I would really like to have the dealership respond to it!

Answer to Offlogic: I ordered two Zsss begin of March, one CS and one DB, because of the very high price we (in the Netherlands) can only order a 350Z PACK, in other EU countrys they can order a base version, like yours ENTH. The unofficial introduction in Europe is June 2003, official introduction sept. 2003 on the Frankfurter messe, delivery of my Z Sept./Oct. 2003.

If you mean if i already own and drove a Z i has to say NO. I ordered from a picture. NO i can't say anything about the ride characteristics.

Because of the fact that Renault "Europe" has a financial finger in Nissan i confront them "and Nissan in Holland with the complaints of the American Z owners and asked them what solutions Nissan have in mind to avoid the same complaints, even before the introduction date of the Z overhere.

In the western part of the EU 50% of the cars ar German or Swedish make, mostly the better class of these brands. If Nissan wants to compete in the EU with other "sportscars" like Boxster S, Z4 3.0, TT 3.2 it's is their job to convice us that they durability of the Z is that good or better than the German sportscars. That is one reason of some tech changes. Other changes ar part of normal improvements on a second generation car or in this case the 2004 Z.

Yes Nissan Holland send me the 350Z q & A list with the remarks that this is the official list for the European Z, under reservation of other or more improvements.

I you can use the full version for your own benefit it's Oké and with the consent of Nissan Holland.

If i can find your e-mail adress i will mail it to you. Let me know, with a reply on this, if my mail has arrived. If i don't succeed write your email adress in a new reply and i try again.

I hope you can use it to solve some problems, if you have any, with your Z.

Bye
Old 05-28-2003, 02:43 PM
RPT

Reply to Boomer:

Maybe the US is, at this moment, the bigest market for the Z, but not for all of Nissans models. Normaly Nissan can't sell their cars to the middle or higher class in the EU. In Holland certainly not. A 350Z Pack costs here about 46.000 usd. It's normal that we expect extra value for this higher price.

What kind of improvements on the suspension !!!.

Suspension re-tuned in order to fulfill "European high speed driving conditions", Improved NVH for high speed driving (C pillar + wheel arch), harsher acceleration response to improve G-feeling at full throttle in 5th and 6th speed (Motorway 120-200km/H acceleration

Last edited by RPT; 05-28-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by RPT
Reply to Boomer:

Maybe the US is, at this moment, the bigest market for the Z, but not for all of Nissans models. Normaly Nissan can't sell their cars to the middle or higher class in the EU. In Holland certainly not. A 350Z Pack costs here about 46.000 usd. It's normal that we expect extra value for this higher price.

What kind of improvements on the suspension !!!.

Suspension re-tuned in order to fulfill "European high speed driving conditions", Improved NVH for high speed driving (C pillar + wheel arch), harsher acceleration response to improve G-feeling at full throttle in 5th and 6th speed (Motorway 120-200km/H acceleration
OK, I can understand the first 2, what is "harsher acceleration"? Is it a gearing change(lower ratio) to provide better throttle response in 5th and 6th at high speeds?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:22 PM
wld350z

Default i got a question

i have a performance model with 18s on it i have not had any bounce problems execpt when i jump curbs (not) i have done some spring work changed the rate abit still i see no problem
do the people with the BOUNCE have 17" wheels on the car?
please let me know
Old 05-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Boomer

Default Re: i got a question

Originally posted by wld350z
i have a performance model with 18s on it i have not had any bounce problems execpt when i jump curbs (not) i have done some spring work changed the rate abit still i see no problem
please let me know
I have 17s, and I have the bounce. It got better when I changed the OE tires for Michelins, but didn't eliminate it.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:37 PM
happypants

Originally posted by GirlieGT
I am starting to experience the bouncy ride now. At first I thought yall was crazy cause mine drove and felt just fine, now it bounces so badly that I can't even have a soda in there without it bouncing out of the dash cupholder. Guess I will be the next to call Nissan
You know what holds up well in the front cupholder? MC Donald's hot fudge "sundae". I can get home before it starts melting, no mess. Just make sure you get a cap on the top!!

BTW, why is Hello Kitty (your avatar) flipping me off?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:45 PM
happypants

Default Re: i got a question

Originally posted by wld350z
please let me know
I have the same model, bouncing is EXACTLY the same as when I first bought the car, and I have around 2200 miles on it.

Concrete roads show off the porpoising, and it isn't the feeling you get driving over the expansion strips. It isn't the firmness of the ride. It is the poor compliance of the shocks. It feels like the rear shocks are worn out and let the springs do all the work dampening the ride.

I can tell I'm back on blacktop as my stomach doesn't tighten up like it does on concrete. That's how bad it is with my car.

Soon will be off to a Nissan dealer near me to have them look at the suspension and document it in case Nissan does something.

Maybe as a fix we'll get the "Euro" tuned suspension.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:36 AM
RPT

OK, I can understand the first 2, what is "harsher acceleration"? Is it a gearing change(lower ratio) to provide better throttle response in 5th and 6th at high speeds?

YES, i can't explain it in tech. English but they mean that WE Europeans don't like the even/steady acceleration of the Japanese and American Z and that WE Europeans wants that the acceleration feels if a plain takes off. G FORCE in your back.

These ar there words not ours or mine. We can't compete the Z with other German or Italian sportscars because of the fact that there is no Z in Europe to test.

Last edited by RPT; 05-29-2003 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:49 PM
sgraham

Happened to catch a Sunset going west on route 88 here in Chicago. Was in my T/A. Watched his *** end vibrating up and down from the back and side and laughed thinking I knew just how he felt. What a ******** ride. No one elses car, including the T/A was jouncing around like the Z. I still llove the car and will eventually do Nismo replacement, but what a bunch of crap we are handed for a ride.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by sgraham
Happened to catch a Sunset going west on route 88 here in Chicago. Was in my T/A. Watched his *** end vibrating up and down from the back and side and laughed thinking I knew just how he felt. What a ******** ride. No one elses car, including the T/A was jouncing around like the Z. I still llove the car and will eventually do Nismo replacement, but what a bunch of crap we are handed for a ride.
Yeah, and your T/A even has a live axle. Independent suspensions aren't supposed to act like ours do, its ridiculous.

Boomer
Brickyard Touring/5AT
Old 06-15-2003, 05:39 PM
EDIEZZ

Default Ride Problem

I agree that the car rides very firm. I drive mountain roads and freeways in Ca. and it doesn't seem any worse than what a corvette or prorshe would encounter--But my experience in these cars is limited. Anyone else on this forum can offer a comparison to other sports cars?? It really doesn't seem too bad to me or my wife+the seats are very comfortable.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:50 PM
EDIEZZ

Default Ride Problem

Just a note--Road & Track is doing a long term review on the 350 Z- It will be intersting to see if they experience ride + alignment problems, etc. Hopfully Nissan didn't provide them with a special car for their review.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:04 PM
sgraham

Like Boomer says, it's ridiculous. I hope R&T slaughers Nissan in their article. I'll go Nismo but kicking and screaming. Would not have bought the car had I known AND the ride has softened a bit which helped, but not enough. The T/A is going in for Eibach springs, Energy Suspension bushings to compliment the newer shocks and panhard bar. I've got a sway bar on order for her that is 15lbs lighter and stronger than stock. Suspension is critical. My 1980 Corvette was the worst and my 95 vette with the ZR1 bad. The 350Z isn't bad like that but is a disappointment. Over rough terrain it rocks but given a smooth wavy surface, get the barf bag.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Ride Problem

Originally posted by EDIEZZ
I agree that the car rides very firm. I drive mountain roads and freeways in Ca. and it doesn't seem any worse than what a corvette or prorshe would encounter--But my experience in these cars is limited. Anyone else on this forum can offer a comparison to other sports cars?? It really doesn't seem too bad to me or my wife+the seats are very comfortable.
The bounce is more prevalent on Zs w/17" tires, it seems. I have a Touring 5AT and I am waiting, not too patiently for the Koni sport shocks to come out. I, and others, feel the car is oversprung and underdamped. Koni is developing their shocks to remedy the situation, but they could be as long as 6 months away.

Quick Reply: Ride Problem? Call..............