Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

TPS suddenly stopped working and acting wierd!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Z-CRA-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beagle_Z
Well I have an 11 month old 2006 with a lowly 3500 miles. I was driving mine to lunch last week and my yellow "exclaimation mark in the tire" symbol lit up. I immediately pulled into the nearest gas station and plunked a quarter into the air/water machine. All tires were at or near 30. I got out the manual, and it said that on the stock tires that came with the vehicle (which mine are)that the pressure be 35 COLD. My tires were warm...Anyway, it will also come on if pressure is below 28 PSI, or if one or more tires is different than the others. The trip computer guage shows the front pressure and you have to use your Clear/secondary button to prompt it to display the rear. That's the button below the one that you use to cycle through the trip computers display. I mentioned that in case you were assuming the double dashes were the rear when it was actualy the time mode. Also the guage will not get a reading from the sensors until the car gets up past 20 miles per hour. So sitting still will give you a double dash reading. The manual says to fill the tires up cold, so park your car and wait at least 3 hours for them to cool and then get your analogue guage out. They only cost a buck or $1.99 at the counter of the gas stations and what not and each of my cars have one in the glove box for just such an occasion (Even though the Z is my first "new" car with a TPMS, I still have the old fashioned back up ). Anyway, next trip out my yellow warning light went out, and all is ok. It had sat for about a month prior to last week's lunch trip so I assume some or all of the tires lost just enough pressure to engage the warning light. Remember to fill your tires and measure them cold. HTH. ~Mark
Just so you know, you must have atleast 35 psi in your tires or your TPMS will trip.

Also, to reset the TPMS you must do atleast 45 mph.

You can go by the dealer and they can wave their fancy little wand to
reset the TPMS's or you can do the gas peddle reset to reset them.

The gas peddle reset is a bit more time consuming but will reset any warning light that comes on.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I1DER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 16K miles I've had one tp sensor go blank on me 3 times. After the first, I realized it was an error. It came back on after I stopped for gas(didn't touch the tires) and showed the same pressure as the others(35psi). The car only had 2000 miles on it and the dealer simply replaced it. It still has happened twice since, but only for a short time then starts functioning again.

Last edited by I1DER; 02-01-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:13 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314
Hmm.. I read somewhere that the TPS' batteries last for about 10 years. I forgot where I got that info.
The manufacturer (Schraeder) claims 7 years.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-CRA-Z
Just so you know, you must have atleast 35 psi in your tires or your TPMS will trip.

Also, to reset the TPMS you must do atleast 45 mph.

You can go by the dealer and they can wave their fancy little wand to
reset the TPMS's or you can do the gas peddle reset to reset them.

The gas peddle reset is a bit more time consuming but will reset any warning light that comes on.
The recommended pressure for the tires is 35psi. By definition, the warning comes on when the pressure is 25% below recommended, hence about 28psi.

From the owners manual:
The tire pressure sensor will activate only when
the vehicle is driven at speeds above 20 MPH
(32 km/h). If the tire pressure signal cannot be
received correctly, the display shows (----).

The fancy wand waving is part of the registration procedure. It causes the sensor to transmit it's internal ID so it can be recognized by the computer on the car. It doesn't really reset the computer like you would reset the ECU via the gas pedal trick or battery disconnect trick.