Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

TPS suddenly stopped working and acting wierd!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPS suddenly stopped working and acting wierd!!

I was driving on the highway today and out of nowhere my TPS light comes on so I figure one of my tires might have a leak. So I go to check what the front PSI says and one side says 38PSI and the other front side said --
I looked at the what the rear ones were and they were both --

I then pulled over to see if I had 3 flat tires but my tires were perfectly fine with no leaks. Wierd eh?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very strange. It must have had a problem communicating with those wheels.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Mr_pharmD

my tps light is on too. dont no why bc the tires are fine. where is the tps computer located at? Anyone got a diagram? I'm thinking of unpluging it to reset it again.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Todd350ZX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
my tps light is on too. dont no why bc the tires are fine. where is the tps computer located at? Anyone got a diagram? I'm thinking of unpluging it to reset it again.
Just remove your battery cable for a few minutes to reset.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:34 AM
usmanasif

It's TPMS. TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor; a whole other thing.

<Captain Obvious strikes again!>

And from what I've heard, only the dealer can reset the TPMS.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:35 PM
deviljon

this **** happened to me today after i got a flat patched up. psi is normal but that stupid (!) light is still on. anyone figured it out yet?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:02 PM
seoulcity

Originally Posted by deviljon
this **** happened to me today after i got a flat patched up. psi is normal but that stupid (!) light is still on. anyone figured it out yet?

ive been having this problem for a long time.. my front tire has a -- and the rest is 38-39's... and the ! keeps stayin on.. but nothing wrong with my tires.. sigh
Old 09-08-2006, 09:29 PM
myzhi

Happens all the time to me, usually when I drive on the highway for 30+ minutes. Took it into the dealership a few times, but each time, all 4 tires PSI would show up and they didn't do sh*t. At first, I use to be afraid something was wrong, but now, I just ignore it.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:45 AM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Those stupid tpms monitors always go bad on the newer cars. Titans frontiers, it doesen't seem to matter on what car they are on. I am just waiting for mine to screw up next. I like tpms, it just needs to be made more reliable.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:23 AM
deviljon

hey seoulcity i figured how to remove the (!) light. all i did was took it to the gas station and left the car running, filled up each tire with a little bit more air, and i guess the sensors detect air being put in... now the lights gone =) just make sure you leave the car running and it should work
Old 09-09-2006, 06:25 PM
seoulcity

Originally Posted by myzhi
Happens all the time to me, usually when I drive on the highway for 30+ minutes. Took it into the dealership a few times, but each time, all 4 tires PSI would show up and they didn't do sh*t. At first, I use to be afraid something was wrong, but now, I just ignore it.

yeah happened to me, took it in 3-4 times, and the ! wouldnt show up!! there like nothings wrong... yea i just ignore mine too..

deviljon: yea i did that everytime the ! warning came on, it would go away but come back after like 30min-1hr of driving... or even less most of the time... but thnkx~ =)
Old 02-01-2007, 01:22 PM
hobby10k

Default sooo???

so what is the determination of this thread? cause my guage lists one of my front tires as -- and one rear is displayed as --. so can we reset this? or is this something that has to be taken to the dealership?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM
cturnbull802

not to thread jack. i read about this problem on the g35driver as well but my 03 6mt g35 doesnt have the monitors. i guess its just as well
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by usmanasif
It's TPMS. TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor; a whole other thing.

<Captain Obvious strikes again!>

And from what I've heard, only the dealer can reset the TPMS.
TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System
TPS = Tire Pressure Sensor

The dealer can reset the system in the sense that they reassign each of the sensors to the computer. It's not a "reboot" kind of thing to make it work again.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:39 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by hobby10k
so what is the determination of this thread? cause my guage lists one of my front tires as -- and one rear is displayed as --. so can we reset this? or is this something that has to be taken to the dealership?
If you have a real old Z, then it possible that the batteries died in those sensors. If it's new, then it's possible that then sensors died and need to be replaced. Also possible that the computer has gone wacky and needs to be replaced or recalibrated.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:41 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ZCARBANDIT
Those stupid tpms monitors always go bad on the newer cars. Titans frontiers, it doesen't seem to matter on what car they are on. I am just waiting for mine to screw up next. I like tpms, it just needs to be made more reliable.
In the 4+ years then Z has been out - I haven't noticed a rash of DOA sensors or general TPS problems. In fact, it's been rare that someone posts here that a sensor has just flat-out stopped working.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:42 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by deviljon
I would assume the tire-monkey broke the sensor when dismounting the tire.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Beagle_Z

Well I have an 11 month old 2006 with a lowly 3500 miles. I was driving mine to lunch last week and my yellow "exclaimation mark in the tire" symbol lit up. I immediately pulled into the nearest gas station and plunked a quarter into the air/water machine. All tires were at or near 30. I got out the manual, and it said that on the stock tires that came with the vehicle (which mine are)that the pressure be 35 COLD. My tires were warm...Anyway, it will also come on if pressure is below 28 PSI, or if one or more tires is different than the others. The trip computer guage shows the front pressure and you have to use your Clear/secondary button to prompt it to display the rear. That's the button below the one that you use to cycle through the trip computers display. I mentioned that in case you were assuming the double dashes were the rear when it was actualy the time mode. Also the guage will not get a reading from the sensors until the car gets up past 20 miles per hour. So sitting still will give you a double dash reading. The manual says to fill the tires up cold, so park your car and wait at least 3 hours for them to cool and then get your analogue guage out. They only cost a buck or $1.99 at the counter of the gas stations and what not and each of my cars have one in the glove box for just such an occasion (Even though the Z is my first "new" car with a TPMS, I still have the old fashioned back up ). Anyway, next trip out my yellow warning light went out, and all is ok. It had sat for about a month prior to last week's lunch trip so I assume some or all of the tires lost just enough pressure to engage the warning light. Remember to fill your tires and measure them cold. HTH. ~Mark
Old 02-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Spddracer

We get about 10 cars a week that come in JUST for "My TPMS light is on"
So we try to stay calm and put air in there tires for them. I would say 98 out of 100 are simply a little low on air. 99% of them come in when the weather gets bit cooler. Simply put, PLEASE buy a good tire gauge and check your tire pressures. Most if not all are 35 psi COLD

The other 2 TPMS lights that come in out of the 100 are usually when a tire monkey messed up the sensor or the customer had there spare tire rotated in with the others or there is simply a TPMS sensor missing and instead one wheel has a rubber valve stem in it.

Maybe 1 out of a 100 actually have a bad sensor.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:00 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Hmm.. I read somewhere that the TPS' batteries last for about 10 years. I forgot where I got that info.

Quick Reply: TPS suddenly stopped working and acting wierd!!