Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:15 PM
vchoward2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 04 350Z and It is also burning oil. Could it be the type of oil someone is using or maybe because someone has modifications done that maybe are not agreeing with the factory ecu. I will be getting me car tuned at technosquare maybe this might solve the problem nissan has no idea.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:32 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by vchoward2
i have a 04 350Z and It is also burning oil. Could it be the type of oil someone is using or maybe because someone has modifications done that maybe are not agreeing with the factory ecu. I will be getting me car tuned at technosquare maybe this might solve the problem nissan has no idea.

Miles?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
RBlover69

well im using moile 1 10w30 and i monitor m oil and its nominal so...im at a alost for u brotha.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:15 PM
RBlover69

well im using moile 1 10w30 and i monitor m oil and its nominal so...im at a alost for u brotha .Hopefully we find out
Old 10-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Durden76

More and more Rev-up engines are being reported as consuming oil every day, acording to my service manager. I just had my first measurement done this morning and the verdict is 0.8 qts consumed after 800mi.. That equals a quart every 1000mi. Before measuring, the service manager told me to go 3k before bringing it in again. After thaey measured, he said I better bring it back in 1k otherwise I'd probably run it dry by the time I got another 3k on the odometer. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:04 PM
aren21

^interesting.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Durden76

Just to clear things up a bit for everyone, ECU adjustments to mods or brand/type of oil are not the culprit of oil consumption. This is a manufacturing problem from Nissan that they ARE aware of. Some of the older style 287hp engines are consuming oil but it seems that most of these have 50k plus mi. on them. The new rev-up 300hp engines are vastly more affected by the oil consumption problem, and many of these engines are burning/consuming oil from day one. I discovered that I had a problem before I hit 8k, and I'm sure I was consuming oil prior to that. Bottom line is that this is a manufacturing issue, not a result of mods or changing oil type.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:27 PM
RockerNJ

1400 miles on my '06 Touring and it's already over a quart low.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
ROGERD

Default Oil Use

My 06 with 5900 miles on it has gone thru 4 quarts of oil so far. Not driven hard and broken in with care.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:00 PM
glowz825

Originally Posted by RockerNJ
1400 miles on my '06 Touring and it's already over a quart low.
that sounds like mine .Italked to the service advisor and he said it was the 5w-30 that comes in our engines from the factory I think he is wrong He also went on to say it was because it was a high performance high compression engine So I replied,how come there are others that dont burn oil....he replied I dont know. Then I went on to say,I used to own a 01' celica gts which has 11.5 to 1 compression ratio and it did not burn a drop! He sighed and said that is not a high performance engine I said, OKWhatever you apparently do not know what you are talking about then I just hung up the phone ohwell
Old 10-05-2006, 06:08 PM
thirty5ounces

Originally Posted by vchoward2

i have same problem on my 03, burning oil and nissan couldnt figure out, let me know how the tune goes, what mods do you have?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:09 PM
LIdrew

What is low on the dipstick?? After 2,000 miles, my dipstick is reading less than half on the dipstick between L and H.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:31 PM
thirty5ounces

Originally Posted by LIdrew
What is low on the dipstick?? After 2,000 miles, my dipstick is reading less than half on the dipstick between L and H.

thats normal
Old 10-06-2006, 02:32 PM
50 Freak

You guys have got me worried about this issue. I called my Service Dept and they said they haven't heard of any oil consumption problems on their Z's. But that 1 quart per 1,000 sounds really abnormal and monitor my 2 week old car and bring it in if that is happening.

They also recommended Mobil 1 5W30 oil.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:22 PM
stan

i just blew an engine at 4352 miles, and they are saying its due to oil consumption. the oil light never went on, oil pressure was always fine, and engine never overheated i'm thinking about how to get rid of my Z if this is what all the 06 engines are doing. anyone know whether lemon law applies here given that replaced engine and known problems on the 06 will cause diminished value? i'm paying way too much (17 and working my *** off for this car) to deal with this stuff. i cant even get a rental to cover me while they have to wait a week for new engine, and then spend another week putting it in.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Durden76

I cannot stress this enough. Do NOT accept the "Gee, I never heard of this happening before." excuse from your service manager, or any excuse for that matter. This is a machining problem in the engine, not yet sure if its poor quality control or a design flaw but it is not the result of the engine being high-performance or high-compressdion. If your service manager tells you something like this they are either "F"ing with you or they are so out of touch with what's happening that you should not trust them to service your vehicle. Try going to a different dealership (any Nissan dealership in North America can perform warranty service and maintainance to your car), you do not need to get your service done where you purchased the car. If you don't have the option of going to another dealer for whatever reason then insist that your service manager call NNA (Nissan North America) to get information on this KNOWN ISSUE. I've been fortunate enough thus far to have been dealing with a knowledgable and proactive service dept at Power Nissan in Irvine, CA. They've been very straightforward with me and have not attempted to blame my driving style or bolt-ons for the oil consumption problem. Anyone in SoCal should give them a try if you're having problems with another service dept. Good luck everyone.

Last edited by Durden76; 10-06-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Durden76

Originally Posted by stan
i just blew an engine at 4352 miles, and they are saying its due to oil consumption. the oil light never went on, oil pressure was always fine, and engine never overheated i'm thinking about how to get rid of my Z if this is what all the 06 engines are doing. anyone know whether lemon law applies here given that replaced engine and known problems on the 06 will cause diminished value? i'm paying way too much (17 and working my *** off for this car) to deal with this stuff. i cant even get a rental to cover me while they have to wait a week for new engine, and then spend another week putting it in.
Don't take no for an answer with the rental. This is their problem, not yours. They should allow something like $15 a day for a rental. If they give you static, threaten to report them to the Better Business Bureau. They are most likely taking advantage of you because you're young. If you can bring a parent with you next time. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Durden76

Originally Posted by glowz825
that sounds like mine .Italked to the service advisor and he said it was the 5w-30 that comes in our engines from the factory I think he is wrong He also went on to say it was because it was a high performance high compression engine So I replied,how come there are others that dont burn oil....he replied I dont know. Then I went on to say,I used to own a 01' celica gts which has 11.5 to 1 compression ratio and it did not burn a drop! He sighed and said that is not a high performance engine I said, OKWhatever you apparently do not know what you are talking about then I just hung up the phone ohwell
You can't do this type of thing over the phone. You need to take the car in (preferably to another dealer than where this idiot works) so that you can start documenting everything and get any potential problems resolved on their dime rather than yours. BTW the service advisor you spoke with is clearly smoking something. Why would Nissan intentionally ship their cars with oil that will get consumed rapidly? Makes no sense at all.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 PM
stan

Originally Posted by Durden76
Don't take no for an answer with the rental. This is their problem, not yours. They should allow something like $15 a day for a rental. If they give you static, threaten to report them to the Better Business Bureau. They are most likely taking advantage of you because you're young. If you can bring a parent with you next time. Good luck.

i wish you were right, but my understanding is that they use enterprise rent-a-car, who will not give a car to someone under 21 or 25 ( i don't remember which, and its not just rent, they wont allow me to drive it at all). This came up when I asked if they would be giving my a comparable loaner, as in a loaner Z. Apparently this is a ridiculous request? She informed me that "it won't be a sports car" and that they only allow $35 a day for rental. I'm paying to drive a Z. If I can't drive my Z, then why am I paying for it? I feel like I should get half off my payment if they are going to take half my month to fix a problem that they caused. i feel cheated. I just don't know what i'm supposed to do while they have my Z for that long. I have work (30 minutes away) and school (10 minutes away). i'm thinking about seeing if i can just get rid of my Z and find something else that might run for more than a few thousand miles without problems
Old 10-07-2006, 08:00 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Durden76
Check your paperwork too. Mine had explicitly stated loaner included in price for any overnight repairs.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption