Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 04:34 AM
raj350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, This info is from mechanic of the Dealership, but he know is stuff and stay in contact with nissan about the problem. We went for ride in the car to see how my riding habit are. Went on the highway, did some speed shifting and some down shifting and he say when the engine in high rev that when the unit doing the problem. I know how some dealers work. They would tell you anything to get you and your warrenty car out of their place cause they make no money off you, this one doing all my engine for me.He one of those good peoples who cares about he work. When the new block goes in, he putting new headers on for me and some other parts too. And thinking about a Stillen supercharger and he and the dealer too say it won't avoid the warrenty on the car. And will be in writing too. Long if they do the work on the car and not somebody else. So supercharger for now and when the warrenty run out, I hope to have my second engine built by myself with Twin turbos on it by then. But for now it a Dealer car.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Brocken

I think the dealer and Nissan will tell you whatever BS they can to get you out of there.
Blowing oil into the PCV sounds really fishy. Especially since other Nissans are having the same problems of losing oil and it's proven it's poor ring design or manufacturing.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:04 AM
Bmacs

Default pcv

guys they tried the PCV on mine........... No Fix.......

Anyway The question about the lawyer...Yes i felt it was in my best interest to have a lawyer who works Lemon Law cases.

Brocken
The lawyer that is working this case gets paid by nissan... he said they give him a flat fee of $1800 to settle the case. Nothing out of my pocket.

Put on about 600 miles on the new engine this weekend.i will be bringing it into the shop this week and let then check it out. Lets hope they fixed it...

updates to follow

And yes i am taking it extremely easy on this engine. shifting in the 3500 to 3900 range as a max.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:30 AM
shushikiary

caution: possible thread hijack/cause for lots of people yelling at eachother.

I know some people think it's good to run an engine low RPM while during break in, but I've also heard some people argue that the piston rings dont seat well unless you run some higher rp's too. So what i've been told is to run the car through the whole RPM range every once in a while, but not to drag race the car all the time. AKA, have a little fun to help break it in, but dont do it all the time...
Old 10-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Brocken

Thanks for the info Bmacs. We don't seem to be getting anywhere on our own so I think the next step is getting a good lawyer.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by shushikiary
caution: possible thread hijack/cause for lots of people yelling at eachother.

I know some people think it's good to run an engine low RPM while during break in, but I've also heard some people argue that the piston rings dont seat well unless you run some higher rp's too. So what i've been told is to run the car through the whole RPM range every once in a while, but not to drag race the car all the time. AKA, have a little fun to help break it in, but dont do it all the time...
No hijack, I was told pretty much the same - don't drone the thing at 3-4k all the time, let it run a little, just don't beat on it, or just like 3-4k, don't run it 5-6k all the time, either! No clutch drops, and with the second car, the G, emphasis no panic braking unless have good reason.

BUT - if the piston rings really take this long to seat, wouldn't you burn some oil? Say like 1/4 or 1/2 qt in 1k miles? On both my cars the dipstick did not move down at all - I was really careful to check for early oil consumption because some other buds with 2002 M3's were going through...can you believe it, 1 qt every 500-1000 miles??? Horrible! (it was, somewhere I have the pics of the head and pistons after that debacle).
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Pepuko

Hello everybody.

I´m from Spain and I have a 06. Sorry for my english, it´s worst than I would like...

I have a problem with oil. After 3.000 miles it was half down.

What do you mean with quarter?

I told nissan and they said it wasn´t normal... Next revision I´ll make they look this anormal oil consumption.

Keep in touch.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
shushikiary

I can see why you would say it would burn oil if it take that long to seat the rings... truth is, I cant really say that's a 100% yes it would burn oil if it took that long to seat the rings..

I can tell you that if it is a ring seating issue that is burning the oil, then it will burn more oil at high RPM than low RPM.... so you do have a way to test it... not sure it would be a good idea to actually test that though....

para la persona en espana, un "quarter" esta un cuarto, entiendes?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Pepuko

Originally Posted by shushikiary

para la persona en espana, un "quarter" esta un cuarto, entiendes?
Yes, I know, but a quarter of what? gallon? liter?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:24 AM
mistico

Originally Posted by Pepuko
Hello everybody.

I´m from Spain and I have a 06. Sorry for my english, it´s worst than I would like...

I have a problem with oil. After 3.000 miles it was half down.

What do you mean with quarter?

I told nissan and they said it wasn´t normal... Next revision I´ll make they look this anormal oil consumption.

Keep in touch.
Pepuko,

1 quart is 1/4 of a gallon.
so 1qtr = 947cc = aprox 1 litro
Old 10-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Pepuko

Ok, thanks.

My Z consumption was very high at the begining. Now I have 11.000 km, that means like 7.000 miles. For the first 6.000 miles, the consumption was one quarter for each 1.000-1.500 miles. Now I have looked at the level, and the last consumption have been half a quarter for 1.000 miles. So I think the oil consumption in my Z is going down...

Last edited by Pepuko; 10-18-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 AM
CaliTouring

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, all this talk about oil, i think im going to check it on my break. i have an 06 that i got in august, checked the oil once ( dont remember how many miles) and thats it i have about 2500 miles on it right now so i think i really need to check it. BTW... do Evos have this problem because when my buddy is kickin my *** and passin me, everytime he shifts a cloud of smoke comes out.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:16 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by secondz
I have a 2006 Base with no mods. I have 2600 miles on the car and I just checked ny oil again (after reading this thread) and noticed that I was about 2/3 quart low. Is this unusual or something to be concerned about?
I did the same thing after reading all the threads. Take her in, that is what I did. Going to bring it back in 1000 miles to see what happens.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:37 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by stan
oh the joys! just talked to my dealer today and they said the engine is on backorder , with no ETA whatsoever. meanwhile my baby sits outside in the sun, in the service lot.

how can the vq be on backorder? seems like they should have plenty of them around...
That is interesting. They would have plenty around if they weren't constantly replacing them. Very interesting. I would take the car back and put it in a garage until the engine came in. Or get a cover.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 AM
stan

Originally Posted by dbasal
That is interesting. They would have plenty around if they weren't constantly replacing them. Very interesting. I would take the car back and put it in a garage until the engine came in. Or get a cover.
i would but to my knowledge the old blown engine wouldnt be any good to get me anywhere. they said the engine might be in today, i'm going to call later on.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 AM
raditz

Originally Posted by Pepuko
Ok, thanks.

My Z consumption was very high at the begining. Now I have 11.000 km, that means like 7.000 miles. For the first 6.000 miles, the consumption was one quarter for each 1.000-1.500 miles. Now I have looked at the level, and the last consumption have been half a quarter for 1.000 miles. So I think the oil consumption in my Z is going down...
Hi Pepuko, the problem with your car is that you use "Carbonell oil" and you shouldn't

Q haces x aqui mariquita??? dale un poco más de tiempo al zetita, espera hasta la primera revi y entonces empieza a controlarlo de verdad. Con 15.000 km ya no debería de gastar ni una gota
Old 10-31-2006, 01:14 PM
diaosam123

is the letter writing regarding the oil consumption issue still going on? If it is I am in, I just started the consumption test today... Thanks
Sam
Old 11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
marathonhunter

Default I guess I found the right tread, add me to that list

2006 enthusiast MT...Bought in Nov 2005,

First sign of problem...car making noise at 6800, took it in the dealer and said the valves were clacking. They said they check it out. Also tell them to change the oil. Next day, they tell me there is no noise. I said that noise was very loud it sounded like valves. Service guy says you can have a tech guy do a check up with you when you pick the car. I start the car sounds perfect, I said what did you do? He said nothing. I tell him about the noise, and he said it could be sticky valve lifter. Tells me to watch the oil psi gauge, if it gets down to 1st tick thats bad...

its 9500 on car and its making that noise again. I thought it was the clicking sound from rear axel , because at 8600 miles it was clicking, and getting louder all the way up to 9500, where I people were staring at my black Z, thinking its making horrible sound.

So now I know....we have a burning oil problem..this is ridiculous!!! I own a 911 Porsche and it doesn't burn this much.

Whats the best solution guys?

-mh
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changed my oil for the first time yesterday, dealership did it the first time. The amount of oil that drained out was about 2-3qts. I checked the dipstick every now and then and it always seemed okay. The dipstick is at such an angle it hits everything when it comes out so even after 2-3 tries its still not a good reading.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Brocken

I'd tell you if I had a solution but I'm still trying to get my consumption issue resolved. Just waiting on arbitration at this point.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption